• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Zumo 350 - DEAD BATTERY

Mark H

Hi everyone,

I'm having a battle with a new Garmin Zumo 350 on my R1200R or more correctly the wiring harness between the bikes battery and the cradle the GPS mounts to.

The issue with this harness is that the power regulator (transformer) in the harness which converts the bikes 12 volt to 5 volt, under certain circumstances continues to drawer power from my bike?s battery and over a three day period will drain the bikes battery completely.

NOTE: Let me be very clear here ? this only occurs when the GPS IS NOT ATTACHED and the motorcycles ignition is switched off.

So the circumstances are ?
- GPS not fitted to cradle.
- Bike is run as usual.
- Bike ignition is switched off.
- Harness continues to drawer power from the bikes CANBUS system.

The wiring harness is attached as per the manufacturer?s instructions.

It is interesting to note that if the GPS is in the cradle and the motorcycle?s ignition is switched off after a ride and then the GPS is removed ? the issue does not occur. It is only when the GPS is not attached.

I'm no electrical genius but I can't see how something not connected to a device can possibly suck the bike's battery dry. If the little black box which steps the power down from 12 to 5 volts is "still doing something" - where does the power go?

Anyone else had this issue or have any idea what may be going on?

What bike?

Your symptoms sound like those reported by some wethead GS riders where keeping some device (don't think it is limited to Garmin GPS) plugged into the aux socket will cause the bike battery to drain even when the device is turned off.

That little transformer uses just about as much juice without a device hooked to it as it does when working. It needs to have a switch added to it so you can turn it off when not in use. It is just the way they work.
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply and I get that the step down transformer would use power BUT why would I need to put a switch in, isn't that what the CAN Bus system should handle when the bike is turned off. After a minute or two at the most it should shut off power to the device?

That little transformer uses just about as much juice without a device hooked to it as it does when working. It needs to have a switch added to it so you can turn it off when not in use. It is just the way they work.
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply and I get that the step down transformer would use power BUT why would I need to put a switch in, isn't that what the CAN Bus system should handle when the bike is turned off. After a minute or two at the most it should shut off power to the device?

I am not up on can bus but my guess is that it does not shut it off because it drains the battery.
Jeff

On some models ZFE shutdowns get lengthy (20-30 minutes or even more) if an item with draw, especially newly added, is present. I've seen this a few times and of course don't know why because nothing useful is published about the inner workings of the ZFE.

The 3 day period is longer than the above but still wonder whether they're related

You might want to try wiring the gps to the switched part of a fuse panel instead- assuming the bike has a fuse panel that switchs off normally.
I've got bikes wired both ways and have even used the BMW connector when transferring my old 550- like BMW gps to a Honda Transalp. They all work fine. The 390 on my new F8000GT got connected to a fuse panel even though I've got the matching connector and access on it is easy- simply because it made a bit neater install.

I am no fan of BMWs use of the ZFE for accessory outlets that should be direct to battery or of some of the oddball properties of the ZFE.

Last edited:
Back