• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are past Tech Article accessible on the MOA site?

jimbc

Hello

In "links and References" there is the "Owners News Tech Article Index". Are these tech articles accessible on the site? The dates on these tech articles predate the electronic versions of past BMW ON issues available online.

On the subject of past issues, I can only find the link to the current issue and not previous issues.

Cheers

jimbc -

No, those articles are generally not accessible on the site. That list was put together by a member so that if you were looking for a specific topic, you could then go to that month's ON and find the article. Another list/index that I've also been asking to have put together, is the list of all ON articles, back to the earliest days. I have a starting list and will be working with the front office to try and get the index up on the site.

As for past issues of the ON, they can be found in digital form. When you have the latest copy open, look at the menu bar at the top. The icon that is a folder, represents past digital magazines. They appear to go back to November 2009.

I don't know what the plan is to digitize older issues; I'm sure that the office will have some back issues that they can sell...you'd have to check with them.

Thanks Kurt.

Seeing the Tech Article list gave me the impression they were available online.

And, now I know where to find past digital issues of ON.

Cheers, Jim

I've been asking for, hoping for and waiting for online access to all the great tech articles published in the BMWMOA Owner News since I joined the club. It's been a few years now since I first asked Vince Winkel about that but it seems the club has been "working on it" for quite a long time! Paul Glaves mentioned this in another thread about Vince's recent demise and states one of the issues was copyright and another was authors worrying about lawsuits for possible incorrect info. I think these can be worked around with simple disclaimers but I'm no lawyer.

In reality, access to some of the older articles is of limited value today IMO. For one, there aren't many people with those kinds of bikes, and two, a lot of the technology back then has drastically changed. At a minimum, an index of articles should at least be put up so that we could locate an article that might help and then try and find a copy. I had the opportunity to download the index (all articles, not just tech) going all the way back to 1972 and it ends in 2002. I have since been keeping my own index of Matt's articles (which began in May 2002), as well as Paul's articles, but only as it applies to Airheads, along with titles of Oak's published articles in the ABC Airmail. This allows me to look up a subject, find the article in my own stash back to 1981, and read what was written. The MOA index essentially belongs to the club; I have already and will make it available again to the new staff for future use. Someone's going to have to bring it up to date from 2002.

Back