• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Starter replacement 93R100RT, 70045 miles

itchy

I'm considering a replacement for my failing old original Valeo starter with an EnDuralast starter.
The Nippondenso has a high price point , the Valeo is better price wise and the EnDuralast which claims to be built to match the Valeo seems a good buy.
Anybody have experience with the EnDuralast starter, good, bad or indifferent ?

Thanks

Enduralast starter

I'm considering a replacement for my failing old original Valeo starter with an EnDuralast starter.
The Nippondenso has a high price point , the Valeo is better price wise and the EnDuralast which claims to be built to match the Valeo seems a good buy.
Anybody have experience with the EnDuralast starter, good, bad or indifferent ?

Thanks

Have had an Enduralast starter in my R100RS now for about 4 years. Starts every time so far :).

...replacement for my failing old original Valeo starter...

May not be on point, but why do you think your Valeo is failing? The typical failure is that the field magnets start to come unglued and rub and/or jam the starter motor armature. EME do a field coil housing with added spring retention clips to hold magnets in place for $35 or so. If you have the skills to replace the starter than you probably have the skills do a filed housing swap. I've done two. Just takes a few minutes. Replacing brushes is also a simple job (although watch out as the plastic brush holder is easily broken), and you can go further with replacing bushings if needed. When I've done this I spent much more time getting to the starter and taking the opportunity to clean, grease etc. all the things that you only get to when diving in here.

May not be on point, but why do you think your Valeo is failing? The typical failure is that the field magnets start to come unglued and rub and/or jam the starter motor armature. EME do a field coil housing with added spring retention clips to hold magnets in place for $35 or so. If you have the skills to replace the starter than you probably have the skills do a filed housing swap. I've done two. Just takes a few minutes. Replacing brushes is also a simple job (although watch out as the plastic brush holder is easily broken), and you can go further with replacing bushings if needed. When I've done this I spent much more time getting to the starter and taking the opportunity to clean, grease etc. all the things that you only get to when diving in here.

Good question. Have had a few failures to start and the unit is making noises it should not be making when the starter button is pressed and the unit engages.
Not sure I have the skills to do a rebuild. More of a 'macro' wrench turner than a 'micro' one. The thought of taking out a big part and dropping in another big part seems less intimidating than pulling the guts out and trying to remember how it all goes back together.

When the Bosch starter on my /7 wore out a few years back, I took it to a local starter shop to price a rebuild, and weighed it against the Nippondenso and Enduralast starter. I ended up going with the Enduralast starter. I don't think it cranks the engine any faster than the old Bosch did, but it is much smaller and lighter than the Bosch (not sure about the Valeo, although I understand that the Enduralst is built to the same design spec as the Valeos). I believe the draw on the battery is less than the old Bosch as well, although again I'm not sure how that translates to your '93. In any event, it has been plenty dependable over the past two years or so that I've been using it- I would not hesitate to buy another. In my mind, it would probably come down to the cost of rebuilding your Valeo and how much trouble you want to go to.

starter

Hi, I have just fitted a endura last starter to my 1977 r100s/rs,my old starter needed a new bendix and was always slow to turn over,with low voltage or cold conditions, new starter spins the engine over much faster ,even when the battery was low one day, under 10 volts, the old starter would have turned over very slowly, or just went click,click,click,so I am very happy at the moment,but was wondering, would I have to grease the planetary gears now and again ?hope this assists Jimmy

cheaper starters

Hi guys, just found this on the oil heads site, "discountstarterandalternator.com "airhead starters for $58.90 !!,check it out ,hope this assists, Jimmy

Yeah... too good to be true often is.

I've installed two 9 tooth Enduralast starters and had no issues with either of them. Only a year of use so far but I trust Euromotoelectrics to provide decent products at competitive prices.

Euro MotoElectrics has a reputation to maintain in our community (they are my choice of vendor for starter etc. service parts). Discount Starter and Alternator less so.

Yes, but it is a "Valeo type" aftermarket item.

PS...I called discountstarterandalternator.com and asked specifically about the starter.
I was informed that the starter is made in China. It is not a European manufactured Valeo.
That was all I needed to know.

starter

Thanks for all your input.
Much appreciated.
Will probably do the Enduralast.
:thumb

the enduralast starter I recieved, looks just like the one from discountstarters ,and I do belive it also is made in China,but still happy with my enduralast ,as always hope this assists ,Jimmy

the enduralast starter I recieved, looks just like the one from discountstarters ,and I do belive it also is made in China,but still happy with my enduralast ,as always hope this assists ,Jimmy

I spoke to Enduralast and their unit is made in Taiwan.
I'm much more comfortable with Taiwan manufacturing creds than mainland China.
Thanks Jimmie

starters

I spoke to Enduralast and their unit is made in Taiwan.
I'm much more comfortable with Taiwan manufacturing creds than mainland China.
Thanks Jimmie

Hi, I stand corrected, just noticed the post in the oil head site, but I am still happy with my enduralast: ,jimmy

Last edited:
Back