Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starter replacement 93R100RT, 70045 miles

Starter replacement 93R100RT, 70045 miles

I'm considering a replacement for my failing old original Valeo starter with an EnDuralast starter.
    The Nippondenso has a high price point , the Valeo is better price wise and the EnDuralast which claims to be built to match the Valeo seems a good buy.
    Anybody have experience with the EnDuralast starter, good, bad or indifferent ?

Thanks

Cool Enduralast starter

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    I'm considering a replacement for my failing old original Valeo starter with an EnDuralast starter.
    The Nippondenso has a high price point , the Valeo is better price wise and the EnDuralast which claims to be built to match the Valeo seems a good buy.
    Anybody have experience with the EnDuralast starter, good, bad or indifferent ?

Thanks
    Have had an Enduralast starter in my R100RS now for about 4 years. Starts every time so far .
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6 (rebuild complete)
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

...replacement for my failing old original Valeo starter...
    May not be on point, but why do you think your Valeo is failing? The typical failure is that the field magnets start to come unglued and rub and/or jam the starter motor armature. EME do a field coil housing with added spring retention clips to hold magnets in place for $35 or so. If you have the skills to replace the starter than you probably have the skills do a filed housing swap. I've done two. Just takes a few minutes. Replacing brushes is also a simple job (although watch out as the plastic brush holder is easily broken), and you can go further with replacing bushings if needed. When I've done this I spent much more time getting to the starter and taking the opportunity to clean, grease etc. all the things that you only get to when diving in here.
    Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s ~ Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s

Quote Originally Posted by R100RT_Mark View Post
    May not be on point, but why do you think your Valeo is failing? The typical failure is that the field magnets start to come unglued and rub and/or jam the starter motor armature. EME do a field coil housing with added spring retention clips to hold magnets in place for $35 or so. If you have the skills to replace the starter than you probably have the skills do a filed housing swap. I've done two. Just takes a few minutes. Replacing brushes is also a simple job (although watch out as the plastic brush holder is easily broken), and you can go further with replacing bushings if needed. When I've done this I spent much more time getting to the starter and taking the opportunity to clean, grease etc. all the things that you only get to when diving in here.
    Good question. Have had a few failures to start and the unit is making noises it should not be making when the starter button is pressed and the unit engages.
    Not sure I have the skills to do a rebuild. More of a 'macro' wrench turner than a 'micro' one. The thought of taking out a big part and dropping in another big part seems less intimidating than pulling the guts out and trying to remember how it all goes back together.

Call Motorrad Electric - great for advice and will not direct you to buy anything that you don't need.

http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm

Great guy!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

When the Bosch starter on my /7 wore out a few years back, I took it to a local starter shop to price a rebuild, and weighed it against the Nippondenso and Enduralast starter. I ended up going with the Enduralast starter. I don't think it cranks the engine any faster than the old Bosch did, but it is much smaller and lighter than the Bosch (not sure about the Valeo, although I understand that the Enduralst is built to the same design spec as the Valeos). I believe the draw on the battery is less than the old Bosch as well, although again I'm not sure how that translates to your '93. In any event, it has been plenty dependable over the past two years or so that I've been using it- I would not hesitate to buy another. In my mind, it would probably come down to the cost of rebuilding your Valeo and how much trouble you want to go to.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

jimmy armour

starter

Hi, I have just fitted a endura last starter to my 1977 r100s/rs,my old starter needed a new bendix and was always slow to turn over,with low voltage or cold conditions, new starter spins the engine over much faster ,even when the battery was low one day, under 10 volts, the old starter would have turned over very slowly, or just went click,click,click,so I am very happy at the moment,but was wondering, would I have to grease the planetary gears now and again ?hope this assists Jimmy

Thanks for all your input.
    Much appreciated.
    Will probably do the Enduralast.

jimmy armour

cheaper starters

Hi guys, just found this on the oil heads site, "discountstarterandalternator.com "airhead starters for $58.90 !!,check it out ,hope this assists, Jimmy

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwjarmour View Post
    Hi guys, just found this on the oil heads site, "discountstarterandalternator.com "airhead starters for $58.90 !!,check it out ,hope this assists, Jimmy
    Whoa! That's cheap for a Valeo replacement.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Whoa! That's cheap for a Valeo replacement.
    Yes, but it is a "Valeo type" aftermarket item.
    Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s ~ Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Yeah... too good to be true often is.

I've installed two 9 tooth Enduralast starters and had no issues with either of them. Only a year of use so far but I trust Euromotoelectrics to provide decent products at competitive prices.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Euro MotoElectrics has a reputation to maintain in our community (they are my choice of vendor for starter etc. service parts). Discount Starter and Alternator less so.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by R100RT_Mark View Post
    Yes, but it is a "Valeo type" aftermarket item.
    PS...I called discountstarterandalternator.com and asked specifically about the starter.
    I was informed that the starter is made in China. It is not a European manufactured Valeo.
    That was all I needed to know.

jimmy armour

starter

Thanks for all your input.
    Much appreciated.
    Will probably do the Enduralast.
    the enduralast starter I recieved, looks just like the one from discountstarters ,and I do belive it also is made in China,but still happy with my enduralast ,as always hope this assists ,Jimmy