• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear Brake Pedal - 1982 R100RS

bob_m

I just replaced an loud but stylish Luftmiester 2 into 1 exhaust system with a quieter Keihan system. The Keihan looks great, the sound is much more civilized and the fit is generally excellent, HOWEVER I have a conflict with the brake pedal. The inside curve of the pedal rubs against the pipe enough that the brake light stays on. I am far from the original owner and would not be surprised if the bike had fallen over on the right side. There is has been no indication of a crash that might bend the brake pedal, the bodywork fits well, and no repairs were noted during the repaint and the pedal itself looks to be undamaged.

Has anyone else had this issue. It looks like removing about 1/8" of material from the inside curve of the pedal would fix the issue, but I am not real enthusiastic about hogging out that piece.

I had a similar problem installing a Mac exhaust on a /5. I solved it with a long bar inserted into the header to adjust the fit with leverage. Imagine the picture of me sitting on the garage floor with my feet on the final drive pulling on the end of a thick chunk of steel.

So I guess that the issue is routing or size of the new exhaust pipe. Of course, the pedal clears the stock exhaust by a wide margin.

When you look straight down at the rear brake pedal, does it point exactly due "north"? Just wondered if maybe the pedal was bent in slightly.

exaust muffler

Hi, see if the passenger mounting lug is bent in, I had this a lot when the wife rode with me, while climbing on and off the left lug would bend in enough to touch the swing arm on high lift,it was easily bent back with a long tube, hope this assists ,Jimmy

Last edited:
Back