• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

long explanation of MY CANADA situ' but has a Q @ the end

the Wizard of Oz
I'll try and be brief. Here goes. I'm an actor. I live in Chicago. I'm headed out on a Broadway tour of "Wicked" ( a big Broadway musical) in March. Included in my tour are Fresno, Boise, Spokane, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, and finally Hartford CT just before Thanksgiving. Obviously riding between stops, and on the days off through the Canadian Rockies etc would be great. We have two and a half days between cities. (Mon, Tue and Wed morning) All my personal gear clothing etc will be shipped on the trucks in any case. (there are 18 of 'em). Here's the problem. I start in San Antonio, mid-March. Not very realistic to to think I can ride from Chicago to TX before St. Patrick's day. In fact, I probably can't even get my scoot out to my dealer for service and shipping to one of the western cities. Sure, I could spend $100 for Billy and The Boy to pick it up and take it out to Barrington Cyclewerks, but that's $100 I don't wanna spend if I can avoid it. Not to mention the probably $700+ for shipping. Also it'll be to dicey to get it home in November w/o another shipping fee. I only wish I could spring that kind of $$.

Here's what I've considered: trying to sell my 2000 R11RT before I go and then buying a bike somewhere out west. Trying to sell and occasionally renting a bike for the weekend and shut up and quit whining, just play some golf and drink Canadian beer all summer. (Probably the smartest option) I even emailed a guy somewhere in Washington state to give him a heads-up about his ad in the OA News re an '86 R80RT w/123k mi. "If it's not sold by May, call me," I said.

Go ahead, please. Good ideas as well as wise-cracks are all welcome. What am I missing? Maybe I should just leave it on the charger all summer...and next winter too. Really??? Sheesh.

Last edited:
Here's the problem. I start in San Antonio, mid-March. Not very realistic to to think I can ride from Chicago to TX before St. Patrick's day.

My wife and I have ridden from Iowa to The Texas Hill Country a couple times in March. You can do it with electric gear, but it would be best to have a Plan B in case there's a lot of snow this March.
We like going in April better, but March is doable some years.

My wife and I have ridden from Iowa to The Texas Hill Country a couple times in March. You can do it with electric gear, but it would be best to have a Plan B in case there's a lot of snow this March.
We like going in April better, but March is doable some years.

thanx. "can" do it are the keywords. "Must" do it is my situation re: arriving in San Antonio on a date certain.

Another option:

Find a friend that would be willing to ride it out west to one of your destinations. Buy a discounted ticket now for their return airfare home. :dunno

good one

Another option:

Find a friend that would be willing to ride it out west to one of your destinations. Buy a discounted ticket now for their return airfare home. :dunno

Not bad, not bad....tho friends who are willing to ride xc may be few and far. I'll get in touch w some of the Chi Reg gang. Thanx!

I didn't get the schedule and I was told I could "let r go"?

Me??? I'd put out the coin and get the bike to Texas. Adventure and a trip that you can never repeat is too much to pass. OOOOHHH, skip St. Paddy's day in Texas and be in Montreal!!!!

I didn't catch your schedule but leaving from Texas in March should be the polar opposite of well, leaving the Arctic in March. Seems to me, Texas complained a few weeks ago that it got to freezing temperatures and they were able to play hockey in the streets? I didn't see a problem except that only people that play hockey in Texas are Canadian or good 'ole Nord USA folks.

I'd ride Texas in March, actually, I want to ride Texas.

Brings me to the parking a bike with a charger on for an entire riding season. Maybe, sell the Beemer and buy a Harley? That way it won't seem so unusual?

Vancouver to Calgary, oh man, blow your mind. Don't take the Coq, take the Gap. Calgary to Edmonton, fast as you can if you can keep up. Edmonton to Winnipeg, two days of an interesting personal challenge. Winnipeg to Toronto on 17 is a "pucker up". It's too damn awesome and spectacular to describe.

If putting your bike on a charger for a season in anyway looks appealing, I have three on chargers now. It sucks but April is only 90 days away.

When in Winnipeg, Smitty's on St. James at Happy Hour, bring cash and attitude. The girls love attitude, I think. I'm the guy driving a white pick-up truck while all my friends tease me. We will show you the only correct way to drink Canadian beer. We can also show you to play golf the Canadian way. It's the same as having somebody from Texas show us how to take a slapshot.

You got an adventure ahead of you and heard somewhere you actor/artiste types have some creativity. If I had any creativity, I might find a way to ride Texas in the near future. Aaaaahhhhh, I have to check on the battery chargers.

nope, not quite

26667, is your next stop after San Antonia, Boise?

San Antonio(mid March) to Fresno (first week April) I'll have just joined the tour and don't want to freak the stage manager or company manager. Then Boise, Spokane, Vancouver BC etc.

why??? you got a idea?

you're killin' me here!

Me??? I'd put out the coin and get the bike to Texas. Adventure and a trip that you can never repeat is too much to pass. OOOOHHH, skip St. Paddy's day in Texas and be in Montreal!!!! funny stuff, you Canadian guy!

I didn't catch your schedule but leaving from Texas in March should be the polar opposite of well, leaving the Arctic in March. Seems to me, Texas complained a few weeks ago that it got to freezing temperatures and they were able to play hockey in the streets? I didn't see a problem except that only people that play hockey in Texas are Canadian or good 'ole Nord USA folks.

I'd ride Texas in March, actually, I want to ride Texas. TX is out of the question. I'll be too busy to doink around with the machine and Hafta leave for Fresno on whatever the date is. No choice. But me too. Tho I hated going across it 30 years ago. Bad weather and worse food.

Brings me to the parking a bike with a charger on for an entire riding season. Maybe, sell the Beemer and buy a Harley? That way it won't seem so unusual? Good one!

Vancouver to Calgary, oh man, blow your mind. Don't take the Coq, take the Gap. Calgary to Edmonton, fast as you can if you can keep up. Edmonton to Winnipeg, two days of an interesting personal challenge. Winnipeg to Toronto on 17 is a "pucker up". It's too damn awesome and spectacular to describe. oh, eff! now I'm committed!! Ok I'm in. i'm gonna find a way to do this and stay out of the airports and on the racer's line. If I can just sell this RT, I've already got my eye on a red RS at Anderworks
If putting your bike on a charger for a season in anyway looks appealing, I have three on chargers now. It sucks but April is only 90 days away. I think the charger that I'm using is sufficient to be ridiculous for twelve months plus the previous

When in Winnipeg, Smitty's on St. James at Happy Hour, bring cash and attitude. The girls love attitude, I think. I'm the guy driving a white pick-up truck while all my friends tease me. We will show you the only correct way to drink Canadian beer. We can also show you to play golf the Canadian way. It's the same as having somebody from Texas show us how to take a slapshot. in TX it's the same. They have some serious wind and need to "knock it down" so it's just like a slapshot. My son plays...and we have the Blackhawks. they play ...a little. But one way or another I'll look for that white PU. You'll know when we're in town. They advertise like maniacs. And I could pro'ly use some help w the Canadanian beer thing Tho' I am familiar w the cash thing. i'll be sure an have enough for two and buy you one!.
My fav' restaurant in Toronto: Beer Bistro on King Eddy Street. Jazz, pizza, mussels and ...well, beer. some of which you never heard of.

You got an adventure ahead of you and heard somewhere you actor/artiste types have some creativity. If I had any creativity, I might find a way to ride Texas in the near future. Aaaaahhhhh, I have to check on the battery chargers.
Creativity's nothing to do with it. i just don't want to hang out with all those chorus girls.

Last edited:
Careful what you say about the Blackhawks dude.

JT plays for you and he is a good Winnipeg boy and a fantastic hockey player and actually, a really nice kid. In a round about way it's your fault we have Byfuglien. Aw crap, now you got me started and I have to wait 16 minutes before I can have a beer and calm down.

Beers, Beering? Beer O'clock? Low Beer light? We have some micro-brewery types here that are awesome. I think one place has a beer made from left over grass trimming. I don't know how he does it in the winter but it's not bad. The one thing about beers, there are lots I've never heard of and lots that I can't remember trying but, if it's a beer, I gotta have it.

I recently acquired a taste for White Whiskey. Yooze fellars call it da "shine" or "lightning". I saw the TV show once, I know what I'm talking about. Makes a sled or a snowblower perk right up too. Maybe you can convince my buddies that White Whiskey is not a euphemism for "Racing Fuel." Then again, when I drink it, it sure feels like racing fuel.

When crossing the prairies, you have to think "time warp." Also, if you ride with a silly smile, you may not need to stop for food. It'll find a way into you. We call it "fly in food". North of Superior, critters be neat to see from a distance but if you stop to take a leak on the side of the road, don't wander into the bush because the critters might think you are fishing. You will look tasty in the spring and early summer.

Good luck on the planning of your trip, you'll need it. If you get pooched anywhere between Saskatoon to Thunder Bay, I can help you out, as long as the beer vendors have beer.

JT plays for you and he is a good Winnipeg boy and a fantastic hockey player and actually, a really nice kid.

well, yeah. he plays pretty good. and we did get to haul that big silver bucket all over Cook County. Yeah. he's pretty good...like Bogey was pretty good. Like Shakespeare wrote some pretty good plays. Like BMW motos are pretty good.

We hit Winnipeg August 18 or 19th. See you at Smitty's!

Back