• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why are you/ why am I a member?

Counting the MOA, I am a member of 4 clubs. They are all run by a small group of people and they are all losing members. The small group of people are the ones willing to volunteer and do the work. The vast majority sit back and complain about what the volunteers do. Some people don't volunteer because they know they will be criticized regardless of what they do. Over the years, it has become harder and harder to find volunteers to help run a club and take responsibility for the results. Two of the clubs I belong to are charity clubs dedicated to helping children in need. They are both less than half the size they were 10 years ago and one will fold at any time. We can't attract new members regardless of our numerous attempts to attract them. They say they don't have the time due to many children's activities or taking care of older parents. I think it is more a lack of feeling socially responsible rather than a lack of time.

This is so true. My brother is president of the Optimist Club in our hometown. It's a small town (pop. 10,000) with 60 or so members in the Club. They have a core of 10 people who actually volunteer to do the work, time after time. And this is the "Optimist" Club. They have the same recruitment difficulties and member number shrinkage MOA does. Sad to say a sign of the times. Be it secular, religious, brand, charitable or whatever, physical socialization hit its high mark in the 50's...since then television, Internet and other social media has created a new social culture.

There's a book, "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" by Robert D. Putnam, that touches on this point. It is one of many writings on the topic and how is has changed our social nature. Putnam notes (and this fits almost all "Clubs" to varying degrees) the aggregate loss in membership of many existing organizations and points out that the act of individual membership has not migrated to other, succeeding organizations. To illustrate why the decline in Americans' membership in social organizations is problematic, Putnam uses bowling as an example. Although the number of people who bowl has increased in the last 20 years, the number of people who bowl in leagues has decreased. If people bowl alone, they do not participate in social interaction and civic discussions that might occur in a league environment. Putnam then contrasts this countertrend of ever increasing mass-membership organizations, nonprofit organizations and support groups to the data of the General Social Survey. This data shows an aggregate decline in membership of traditional organizations, supporting his thesis that U.S. social capital has declined.

Seems to fit us - no?

I must strongly disagree with your position that the young don't deserve answers to all of their questions. Sure they do. You don't have to answer them all but at least point them in a direction where they can find the answer. You don't have to spoon feed them, but don't let them starve.

Did you read the part about having a beer? Do I expect anyone to present me an itemized list of all the options they considered before coming to a given decision? No.
And, if you ask me to that same thing, I'll tell you to go take a hike. Buy me a beer and we can talk about it.

This is so true. My brother is president of the Optimist Club in our hometown. It's a small town (pop. 10,000) with 60 or so members in the Club. They have a core of 10 people who actually volunteer to do the work, time after time. And this is the "Optimist" Club. They have the same recruitment difficulties and member number shrinkage MOA does. Sad to say a sign of the times. Be it secular, religious, brand, charitable or whatever, physical socialization hit its high mark in the 50's...since then television, Internet and other social media has created a new social culture.

There's a book, "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" by Robert D. Putnam, that touches on this point. It is one of many writings on the topic and how is has changed our social nature. Putnam notes (and this fits almost all "Clubs" to varying degrees) the aggregate loss in membership of many existing organizations and points out that the act of individual membership has not migrated to other, succeeding organizations. To illustrate why the decline in Americans' membership in social organizations is problematic, Putnam uses bowling as an example. Although the number of people who bowl has increased in the last 20 years, the number of people who bowl in leagues has decreased. If people bowl alone, they do not participate in social interaction and civic discussions that might occur in a league environment. Putnam then contrasts this countertrend of ever increasing mass-membership organizations, nonprofit organizations and support groups to the data of the General Social Survey. This data shows an aggregate decline in membership of traditional organizations, supporting his thesis that U.S. social capital has declined.

Seems to fit us - no?
It has been put forth that the invention of widely available air conditioning began the decline. It was commonplace for neighbors to interact as they sat on their porches "taking the evening air".
OM

It has been put forth that the invention of widely available air conditioning began the decline. It was commonplace for neighbors to interact as they sat on their porches "taking the evening air".
OM

I don't think so. I live in and grew up in the sticks. Our porches were far apart and talking to neighbors was not possible. We went to church, joined non-profit clubs, helped with boy scouts, etc. so we could make friends, find out local news and gossip as well as have interaction with other people. TV, the internet, twitter and other social media has made information and interaction with others possible without ever leaving the house or spending time helping others. A decline in church membership, club participation, and other volunteer activities is a result.

O.K., I will dare to say it:

My personal experience with the MOA is, it is run and controlled by a club within the club. This club within the club is largely a mutual admiration society which is more than evident in all the posts that are made here and in the other thread about the recent issue with the ON. That club within the club has lost (maybe never had) a real connection to the base.

So is it the "inside club's" responsibility to make that connection to everyone else? A club is what its members make it in my opinion.

And I strongly disagree with your view of how this club is run. I was just a regular member, on the younger and less-affluent side as members go, but I was interested in the club and found enjoyment in it from the moment I joined. I wrote letters to the editor, got involved in the forum, volunteered at rallies, wrote articles for the magazine (so far two published and one not published, and I agree that that one was a bit of a dud), took an officer-position in my local chartered club when nobody else raised their hand at the call for candidates, and after enough jokes in the forum about running for the Board some members called me on that and I ran and was somehow elected (this fact still boggles my mind!). I served one term that ended a few years ago but would definitely consider another go of it should my life's circumstances align well with BoD demands down the road. I'm also looking forward to writing more articles and letters and continuing to mix it up here in the forum (where I've been a bit scarce lately due to a too-long bikeless period, through which I've maintained my membership). Now am I in some sort of 'inner circle' in the MOA? Not by a long-shot, if such a thing exists. I'm just a member who has enjoyed this club enough that I've felt it worthwhile to give some time and effort back to the club in the hope that I can help to keep the club continuing to be a great 'extended family' like it has been to me. To pass it on, if you will. Sure, a lot of the same names and faces keep coming up in the leadership and key volunteer circles in the MOA. Maybe the names and faces would change more if more folks felt like passing it on. Maybe not that many 'get it' that the club is what the members make it.

Now to answer the original post. Why am I a member?

I'm a member because of the great fellowship and extended family that I found in this club. I joined because I found MOA in a web-search I did when I got my first BMW, and it seemed like a good idea so that I could be a well-informed owner of the bike. The human aspect was the biggest surprise and the best part, and it is that which keeps me here.

So is it the "inside club's" responsibility to make that connection to everyone else? A club is what its members make it in my opinion.

And I strongly disagree with your view of how this club is run. I was just a regular member, on the younger and less-affluent side as members go, but I was interested in the club and found enjoyment in it from the moment I joined. I wrote letters to the editor, got involved in the forum, volunteered at rallies, wrote articles for the magazine (so far two published and one not published, and I agree that that one was a bit of a dud), took an officer-position in my local chartered club when nobody else raised their hand at the call for candidates, and after enough jokes in the forum about running for the Board some members called me on that and I ran and was somehow elected (this fact still boggles my mind!). I served one term that ended a few years ago but would definitely consider another go of it should my life's circumstances align well with BoD demands down the road. I'm also looking forward to writing more articles and letters and continuing to mix it up here in the forum (where I've been a bit scarce lately due to a too-long bikeless period, through which I've maintained my membership). Now am I in some sort of 'inner circle' in the MOA? Not by a long-shot, if such a thing exists. I'm just a member who has enjoyed this club enough that I've felt it worthwhile to give some time and effort back to the club in the hope that I can help to keep the club continuing to be a great 'extended family' like it has been to me. To pass it on, if you will. Sure, a lot of the same names and faces keep coming up in the leadership and key volunteer circles in the MOA. Maybe the names and faces would change more if more folks felt like passing it on. Maybe not that many 'get it' that the club is what the members make it.

+100

That has been my experience as well.

You get out what you put in.

A cautionary word. We need folks to volunteer to run for the BOD. They will stand little chance of success if they run on a platform of running down the folks they are replacing, questioning their qualifications or second guessing prior decisions. If they have a vision of how the MOA can be improved, they stand a good chance of winning.

I don't think so. I live in and grew up in the sticks. Our porches were far apart and talking to neighbors was not possible. We went to church, joined non-profit clubs, helped with boy scouts, etc. so we could make friends, find out local news and gossip as well as have interaction with other people. TV, the internet, twitter and other social media has made information and interaction with others possible without ever leaving the house or spending time helping others. A decline in church membership, club participation, and other volunteer activities is a result.

I agree with this statement, and have the following additional observation. These NEW media types give persons freedom to interact only with those they identify with, be it social, economic, political or relgious, all from the comfort of the couch. No longer do you have to interact with anyone of a different lifestyles, points of view, or interests. You are sheltered and can filter all input you receive to feed your psyche however it requires; never a fear of rejection, ridicule, retribution, or critisism from a group or individual because you hold an unpopular POV, or are just a clumsy oaf with big ears. You are free to express yourself as you wish, never having to look a real person in the eye, you no longer have to suffer the consequence of that action be it a simple admonishment or more severe a punch in the nose. In the end you can get up from the couch satisfied you are not alone in this world, there are many out there just like you, and fortunately most of them think just like you, no need for messy personal interactions at all.

Me, I joined because I was told this was a good place to learn maintanence and repair tips, read interesting trip stories and planning for the annual Rallys. Though I travel alone, I enjoy comradery at the "end of the trail" so to speak, sharing road stories and sharing place's to visit.

You are free to express yourself as you wish, never having to look a real person in the eye, you no longer have to suffer the consequence of that action be it a simple admonishment or more severe a punch in the nose. In the end you can get up from the couch satisfied you are not alone in this world, there are many out there just like you, and fortunately most of them think just like you, no need for messy personal interactions at all.

Bingo.

No longer do you have to interact with anyone of a different lifestyles, points of view, or interests. .

You are kidding, are you?? Have you read the post you agree with? Do you really think that at church,non-profit clubs and boy scouts you would interact with different lifestyles, points of view or interests.......???

"There are two types of people....."

The old joke "There are two types of people...." has infinite punch lines. It seems to me I'm reading ideas here from two types of members...those who join the group to actively contribute in a friendly social environment, and those who join to learn something about a favorite hobby, share information and maybe interact occasionally (full disclosure: I'm in the second group). Both types stay members only if they "get something" out of their monetary contributions, and what they "get" is always going to be different. (side discussion: we don't actually "get" anything from a social group...satisfaction and enjoyment is always created within us, by us). Reading this thread I see both types displayed. And looking around, I see both types of members in all normal social groups, whether religious, interest-oriented or charitable. I'm confident it takes both types to keep an organization alive. However, because we are only human, we may tend to value those who are more like us, and forget both types are absolutely necessary. Looking at other typical interest-based groups, my opinion is that while the MOA has worked very hard to satisfy both groups over that past years, judging by membership decline (and in my own opinion), we've somehow moved away from that balanced middle point...at the national, not local, level. I believe it's now time for some positive input from all members, regardless of which type of person you are, and whether or not you ever intend to go to a local meeting, national rally or become computer-literate. This thread is a great exercise toward that goal.

I originally joined the MOA strictly for access to the Flea Market. I did attend the National back when it was in my home state of PA. The Anonymous book is another real bonus of membership. Thankfully, I've never needed it. (Knock on wood)

I like the forum, and like what I've read from several people- based solely on that, I'd go out on a limb to try to meet them if it was convenient for both parties. A couple people cross post on other forums, and I've bumped into some now and again.

I'm not going to attend most of the National Rallies- summer is my busy season, so it doesn't make dollars-n-sense to take too much time off in summer.

The Owners News I can do without, quite frankly. Mostly it's a question of time for me- then again, magazines tend to stack up and the. What do you DO with them all?

Joining a club, and participating on a web forum elicits a simple sense of community- and I like that aspect of interaction, even if it is remote interaction. The "club" bit is just a side benefit... Tho now that I've used the word, I'm not exactly sure how beneficial the "club" is, other than the social aspects of forum interaction and flea market access.

I guess my bottom line is I AM a part of the BMW Motorcycle Owners community... With 3 BMWs that would be true with or without my being an MOA member. But I happen to have a spare couple of bucks for actual membership here. I rather like it.

When my wife and I bought our first house, our backyard neighbor had one, then two, BMW motorcycles. He explained how the MOA worked, that you got an anonymous book, that there were national as well as local rallies, etc. etc. He was a rally guy. He went to the national MOA rally almost every year as well as several others. At that time, I didn't own a motorcycle, I was living my motorcycle dreams vicariously through my neighbor. This was all in the 80's, I had sold my motorcycle in 1981, and was now busy raising a family.

Fast forward to 2000. I re-entered the world of motorcycling by buying a Honda Shadow, then my R100RS, which I still own and ride. I joined the BMW MOA within a year or so of buying that R100 because I thought that's what all BMW owners/riders should do. I always thought that I would become a real "rally rat". Turns out I really like the information that is exchanged in the magazine as well as on these forums, but I'm not now nor will I ever be a rally rat. The bulk of my riding is done commuting, and my social connections are all established via my work, my family, and local community. The BMW MOA has a great number of wonderful, friendly people, many of whom I got to meet in 3D at the only national that I've ever attended. But it doesn't serve as a social connection for me, per se.

Thing is, my wife doesn't enjoy riding motorcycles or traveling via motorcycle. She never will. That's just her. She has her full motorcycle endorsement and rides her own scooter, but that's as far as it will ever go. I'd rather spend time with her off of my motorcycle than ride and be alone.

Since the 2014 MOA rally will be held right here in the Twin Cities, both she and I will attend. We'll enjoy it immensely, I'm sure. But, MOA membership to me does not direct my social or even motorcycle riding calendar.

So, really, I joined the MOA initially for reasons that I thought were valid, but really don't apply, at least not any more.

Back