• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

COOS Bay OR area Biking/Riding info

jstrube

John.
Looking to head to the Coos Bay area this summer for a week's vacation. I think we are going to camp in Charleston, at the Oceanside RV Park. Plan is to park the trailer in the RV park, and take day trips from there with the wife on the RT, or road bikes. Looking for things not to miss, must do trips, cool towns to plan to spend time in, etc. Basically any recommendations for fun. Good food stops wanted as well.

I was thinking Head north one day, head south one day & go for a couple of road bike rides.

Thanks,

John.

Fisherman's Grotto in Charleston on the east side of the bridge. Best fish and chips I've ever had.
7 Devils road, south out of Charleston is a nice ride, connects into 101 well south of Coos Bay.
Sunset Bay state park, west of Charleston has electric hook ups for Rv's.
Between Coos Bay and Florence are the dunes, lots of ATV's, just don't go during Dune Fest.
Enjoy.

What kind of riding are you wanting to do? Fun back roads, ride along the coast? I assume you want to stay on pavement?

Good suggestions on food!

I am totally wanting to stay on pavement, 2 up.

We want to do the coast, I am thinking one day north, one day south, don't mind going inland as well. We are going to take 2 days to go over to BEND to do a guided mountain bike ride. We did it last year & had a blast. Last year, from Salem, we rode over to Tillamook one day & Hood River another.

Also, bringing the road bikes, we might do a day or two on the bicycles.

Thanks,

John.

Day ride

Just south of Coos Bay past Myrtle Point, take the Powers road to Agness on the Rogue river, then back to Gold Beach and north on 101. I am pretty sure the Powers Agness road is paved, I am sure it is narrow. I will verify the road surfacing and get back to you. On Google maps it looks like someone dropped a spagetti noodle. Riding in SW Oregon is the best. Dry and warm, Dramatic mountains and a unique floristic provence because the soils are derived from basalt and this area was the farthest north that was not covered with glaciers, allowing unique plants to avoid extinction. At the Botanic wayside near Florence there is a dense stand of the carniverous "cobra lily" which is not a lily at all.

OK I called the Powers ranger station and there is about 7 miles of gravel which is kept in pretty good condition. I am sure doable on an RT. Their number is (541) 439-6200. It might be a good idea to call first to find out if there is a lot of logging activity which would result in unsavory traffic.

Regarding cycling, The local bike blogger took a ride that included nice back roads and his post is linked here
http://bikeportland.org/2013/09/14/completing-the-coast-route-north-bend-to-brookings-93966

Last edited:
Just south of Coos Bay past Myrtle Point, take the Powers road to Agness on the Rogue river, then back to Gold Beach and north on 101. I am pretty sure the Powers Agness road is paved, I am sure it is narrow. I will verify the road surfacing and get back to you. On Google maps it looks like someone dropped a spagetti noodle. Riding in SW Oregon is the best. Dry and warm, Dramatic mountains and a unique floristic provence because the soils are derived from basalt and this area was the farthest north that was not covered with glaciers, allowing unique plants to avoid extinction. At the Botanic wayside near Florence there is a dense stand of the carniverous "cobra lily" which is not a lily at all.

OK I called the Powers ranger station and there is about 7 miles of gravel which is kept in pretty good condition. I am sure doable on an RT. Their number is (541) 439-6200. It might be a good idea to call first to find out if there is a lot of logging activity which would result in unsavory traffic.

Regarding cycling, The local bike blogger took a ride that included nice back roads and his post is linked here
http://bikeportland.org/2013/09/14/completing-the-coast-route-north-bend-to-brookings-93966

This is why I asked his preferences as I was going to suggest this ride which is fun and nice scenery but as you already noted had 7 miles of gravel. It is is pretty good shape and I have ridden it on my 1200GS and it would be no problem on the RT.......I have never even met another vehicle on the gravel section. The ride down from Agness to Gold Beach is nice. Coming up from Gold Beach you can swing out to Floras lake and watch the Windsurfers, very popular place.

If you are Myrtle Point, you can take Lampa Lane out to 42S and over to Bandon, my son and I do this road all the time and it is fun. If you are on the coast and it is windy or foggy you can run from Banod to Myrtle Point this way and you will be in 75-80? weather.

Down by Sixes, there is Cape Blanco Lighthouse out on a point which is the furthest west you can get on the westcoast...usually windy.

After you cross the bridge North of Bandon you can take North Bank Road which will take you along the Coquille River. If you stay on this you will come out on Hwy 42 between Coquille and Coos Bay. If you take East Beaverhill road off of North Band Rd it will take you back up to Hwy 101, then cross over to West Beaverhill Road/Seven Devils road, this will take you back to Charleston.

North of Reedsport you can take Lower Smith River road you can ride through the mountains on paved BLM roads in good shape to Territorial Hwy and into Venta....my wife and I 2up this route for a ride to Veneta for lunch and then take Hwy 126 back out to Florence. Or you can continue on Territorial Hwy to Monroe and then take Alpine road and then BLM South Fork road to Alsea/Hwy34 than then take Hwy 34 out to Waldport. There is al Alsea Falls along the way for a little break and a hike.

Havent done much up past Waldport yet.

Food....

Coos Bay/North Bend/Charleston - Benettis Italian (reserve), Kum Yons Korean/Japanese, Fishermans Grotto, Portside, High Tide Cafe, Sharkbites, Coach House (very good but reserve)

Bandon - Bandon Cheese Factory for Ice Cream ;)

Let me know when you are up here and if our work schedule will allow, my son and I will join you!

If you go to Bend, take the McKenzie Pass out of Springfield, beautiful drive along the McKenzie River and if it is open (depending on time of year and snow) take the old McKenzie Pass (242), lots of twisties and up through the Lava Fields to the Dee Wright Observatory.

Awesome! Another idea is to stay at one of the state parks around Florence. Not sure if that is a better option than Oceanside rv park or not. I was checking my state parks guide and saw that option. I think it was Carl Washburn. Looks a bit more central to the state.

We will go to Bend for sure for a MTB ride. Probably take the truck though to haul the bikes.

I appreciate the info, we are looking to book sites pretty soon and are excited about the vacation.

John.

Honeyman State Park is a real nice campground in old growth timber just south a couple miles of Florence.

If you do the run from Powers to Agness coming down (West) along the Rogue River on the South bank is OK, but about halfway down is a bridge over to the North Bank road. Road is sunny and curvy and comes out at Wedderburn on US 101. Just across the bridge if you take a right up a short gravel road, you can visit a nice grove of Myrtle trees.

Back