Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin west to east after the rally

TravelsWithBarley.com

Wisconsin west to east after the rally

So...Barley and I have a very nice route picked out for the trip from Vermont to the rally in St Paul, but need some feedback on Day One of the return trip. We need to get from St Paul to the ferry landing in Manitowoc. On the map, it looks like the most direct route would be to drop down to Wisconsin 10 and take it all the way. The western half of that corridor looks like it has a lot of curves in the hills, with plenty of back roads and lettered roads roughly paralleling route 10. None are marked scenic on my maps, and there aren't many ride reports in that neck of the woods, but I'd much prefer farm country to a big highway. Any suggestions?

We'd be laying up for the night in Manitowoc and the ferry doesn't depart till 2pm the following day, so we would have an entire day to cross the state avoiding big cities.

Suggestions?

Pete and Barley
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

I think the source of http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23 came from someone preparing for the RA rally in Chippewa Falls, WI a couple of years ago. I have not ridden these roads, but I suspect they would be good, knowing the topography of the region....western WI.
    Scott
    2004 K1200LT
    Munising,Michigan
    www.smitchellphotography.com

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Trip takes about 6 hours from St. Paul to here. You can take 10 or 29 to Green Bay, if slabs are your thing. A longer and scenic route would be across Hwy 8, then down from Niagara on 141 to Green Bay and points south. Or even find Hwy 35 along the Mississippi (the Great River Road) to La Crosse and pick up Hwy 33 east to near Beaver Dam, then head NE on 151 to Manitowoc. It'll take you longer, but scenic.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Thanks, Scott. For all the advice you've given me when planning trips to and thru your stomping grounds I owe you a beer. If you see us at a rally, please introduce yourself. Our rig is hard to miss!

Pete

side trip

Catch hy 64 east out of Chippewa falls, to antigo, then a short ways south on 45 to 47 through the Menominee indian reservations to 55 into Shawano then Hy K south meets up with 156/187 to Shiocton then 54 across to green bay and Packer Museum then less then an hour to Manitowoc.
    Tom Running, 51141 Greenville, WI
    "Love is when you like something as much as your motorcylce." Sonny Barger in Hells Angels
    by Hunter S. Thompson 1966

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Thanks, guys! Plotting all this out on my map.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Or Highway 8 east to Crandon, pick up 55 south to Shawano (Enjoy the road, it's not straight). From there east and a bit south, you can find 29 or anything else heading to the lakeshore.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    +1 on Highway 55!
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MANICMECHANIC View Post
    Trip takes about 6 hours from St. Paul to here. You can take 10 or 29 to Green Bay, if slabs are your thing. A longer and scenic route would be across Hwy 8, then down from Niagara on 141 to Green Bay and points south. Or even find Hwy 35 along the Mississippi (the Great River Road) to La Crosse and pick up Hwy 33 east to near Beaver Dam, then head NE on 151 to Manitowoc. It'll take you longer, but scenic.
    Great suggestions. The Great River Road route is historically fascinating, and HWY 33 east from La Crosse (goes thru Wildcat Mountain State Park) to WI Dells is one of my favorites - "The Dragon" of Wisconsin riding. Enjoy!

PS: Get to Manitowoc early enough for two venues practically within walking distance of the ferry dock - the WI Maritime Museum, which includes the opportunity to fully tour a WW II submarine (the USS Cobia, berthed in the river adjacent to the museum), and a fenced-in dog run along the lakeshore for Barley.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post

PS: Get to Manitowoc early enough for two venues practically within walking distance of the ferry dock - the WI Maritime Museum, which includes the opportunity to fully tour a WW II submarine (the USS Cobia, berthed in the river adjacent to the museum), and a fenced-in dog run along the lakeshore for Barley.
    I served aboard the nuke fast attack submarine USS Gurnard in the 80s. In SF I had a chance to tour a WWII pig boat. I never again felt my boat was small!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenfiddich View Post
    I served aboard the nuke fast attack submarine USS Gurnard in the 80s. In SF I had a chance to tour a WWII pig boat. I never again felt my boat was small!

IMG_0449.jpg

Sub driver, eh?! Thought you might appreciate the photo I snapped at a ride on The Dragon some years back - impressive trailer.
    Last edited by greenwald; 01-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Well, the Gurnard wasn't quite THAT small!

If you see a sign for a Wisconsin Rustic Road, take it. They are usually short, very senic loops.

Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Can you share the route planned from VT to MN? Planning for trip to rally with no interstate.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk