• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1 vs. other K bikes

ahdoman

I'm considering the purchase of a 1990 K1. Please don't turn this thread into a K1 praise or bash. I am aware of all of the issues surrounding the bike. What I need to know is for those of you who have owned a variety of K bikes, including a K1, what are the ergonomics like in relation to the other K bikes of its time? I've owned quite a few K's but never a K1 (k100's, K1100RS, K1200). All of the K's that I've owned from the same era as the K1 fit me very comfortably. Did BMW change the seating position on the K1?

I'm considering the purchase of a 1990 K1. Please don't turn this thread into a K1 praise or bash. I am aware of all of the issues surrounding the bike. What I need to know is for those of you who have owned a variety of K bikes, including a K1, what are the ergonomics like in relation to the other K bikes of its time? I've owned quite a few K's but never a K1 (k100's, K1100RS, K1200). All of the K's that I've owned from the same era as the K1 fit me very comfortably. Did BMW change the seating position on the K1?

OK , adhering to your request. I have always liked them, rode a friends a-bit, but never bought one for one main reason. My most & favorite use for a motorcycle is travel. And I could never figure a way to put useful luggage on a K-1 without ruining the appearance .

The seating position on the K1 is slightly more aggressive than on its next kin, the K100/1100RS. The footpegs are slightly higher and further back. The handlebars are slightly lower. Overall, it is "less comfortable", it has a more "sporty" approach. The rear edge of the fairing may prevent using K100 4-valve footpeg plates, which physically fit, but you may have difficulty getting your legs in and out of the fairing. A fiend of mine, had the seat redone to raise the seating surface by an inch and that helped him a bit. I am 5'8" and the K1 is my most uncomfortable bike and I own a Ducati 916SPS and a 1098R
There is a unique luggage set for the K1 and combined with the tankbag, you will have quite a bit of capacity if you travel alone. I would not consider the K1 to be a great bike for travel.

The seating position on the K1 is slightly more aggressive than on its next kin, the K100/1100RS. The footpegs are slightly higher and further back. The handlebars are slightly lower. Overall, it is "less comfortable", it has a more "sporty" approach. The rear edge of the fairing may prevent using K100 4-valve footpeg plates, which physically fit, but you may have difficulty getting your legs in and out of the fairing. A fiend of mine, had the seat redone to raise the seating surface by an inch and that helped him a bit. I am 5'8" and the K1 is my most uncomfortable bike and I own a Ducati 916SPS and a 1098R
There is a unique luggage set for the K1 and combined with the tankbag, you will have quite a bit of capacity if you travel alone. I would not consider the K1 to be a great bike for travel.

I think that is a very accurate description based on my experience. I have a K1, and have a K1200RS and a K75S, and have ridden K100 & K1100 RSs, and that's how I would describe the seating position. Having said that, I've taken my K1 on several 400+ mile rides and the worst part was the seat which became uncomfortable to me after about 100 miles. But for that I not sure the other ergos would have been that bad, but then I prefer an "RS" riding position.

Thanks for the input guys. I have also always preferred the RS riding position. I am 6'2" with a good long reach. My other bikes currently are an R1100S and a Ducati Paso 750. Both of which I can ride for fairly long rides without a problem. The riding position of the K1 looks a lot like the Ducati Paso.

Is the seat pan on the K1 the same as the K100 or K1100? If so, I can always build myself a custom seat if I need a little more height.

Is the seat pan on the K1 the same as the K100 or K1100? If so, I can always build myself a custom seat if I need a little more height.

I've not dissembled the seat on my K1 but will say that they are not the same. The rear seat cowling is different, and I believe the rear frame section is different as well. Personally, I would want to retain the look of the bike, so would rebuild the stock seat rather than try to graft on a K100/1100 seat. Like with all things - likely best to check it out yourself and see if perhaps you feel you need to do anything to it at all. :)

With you being 6-2, the biggest problem I predict you will have, are your legs and the footpeg position relative to the seat. There is a design problem with the K1: They wanted to give the bike ground clearance for lean angles. But they also wanted a two-seater - room for a passenger. As a result, the driver pegs are too high and too far foward. This will cramp you up quite a bit. Imagine you sit down and raise your knees and then move the feet forward.
This is why sportbikes have "rear-sets". When you move the pegs back, your knees drop down and instead of having your upper thighs in a more horizontal position, they will be in a more vertical position, giving you more room. If you ride solo exclusively on the K1, try to locate your pegs backward. It will help a great deal.

Back