• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Airforce Museum

Just wanted to thank the US Government for the Airforce Museum - I was really impressed with it.

This would be worth seeing just on it's own - there were 3 huge hangers filled with the latest aircraft. In one hanger, there was a B-52, Stealth Bomber, Stealth Fighter, Cargo plane that opens at the nose, F-4 Phantoms and a U2 Spy Plane.

A replica of the Wright brothers plane hung above the new F-22 fighter. Very cool. Amazing how far we have come in 100 years of flight (even more amazing how far we have come in the last 40 years - makes you wonder what they CAN'T show us!)

I was impressed by the unmanned Globel Hawk and didn't realize it was the size of a large fighter plane or how cramped and uncomfortable the cockpit of a modern day fighter is. 7 hours in one of those? No thanks! It gave me a new perspective on our pilots and how hard their jobs are.

I have been there many times, one of the coolest places in the US. Too much to see in one day. The Dayton air show is also awesome.

You do know the aliens from Roswell are warehoused at Wright Patterson AFB don't you?

There is more base underground there than above ground

gsmetal said:
Just wanted to thank the US Government for the Airforce Museum - I was really impressed with it.

This would be worth seeing just on it's own - there were 3 huge hangers filled with the latest aircraft. In one hanger, there was a B-52, Stealth Bomber, Stealth Fighter, Cargo plane that opens at the nose, F-4 Phantoms and a U2 Spy Plane.

A replica of the Wright brothers plane hung above the new F-22 fighter. Very cool. Amazing how far we have come in 100 years of flight (even more amazing how far we have come in the last 40 years - makes you wonder what they CAN'T show us!)

I was impressed by the unmanned Globel Hawk and didn't realize it was the size of a large fighter plane or how cramped and uncomfortable the cockpit of a modern day fighter is. 7 hours in one of those? No thanks! It gave me a new perspective on our pilots and how hard their jobs are.

Did ya buy any cookies while you were there?? Thin Mints?? Samoas?? Oh wait, that's the Girl Scouts.. can never tell those two organizations apart!

itsbob said:
Did ya buy any cookies while you were there?? Thin Mints?? Samoas?? Oh wait, that's the Girl Scouts.. can never tell those two organizations apart!

Girl Scouts wear green uniforms, and the air force wears blue uniforms and they bomb people. that would be the biggest two differences.

lorazepam said:
Girl Scouts wear green uniforms, and the air force wears blue uniforms and they bomb people. that would be the biggest two differences.
Yeah, but they could buy more bombs if they sold cookies!!

lorazepam said:

Yup, they bomb people.....bad people.

Like the bad people that killed 3000 of your fellow citizens a few years back in New York - or is your memory that short?

gsmetal said:
Yup, they bomb people.....bad people.

Like the bad people that killed 3000 of your fellow citizens a few years back in New York - or is your memory that short?

I did a stint in the airforce, and I intimately know how things work there. I didnt say whether the folks were good or bad, just that the girl scouts dont normally bomb folks or provide close air support.

my brother also served a stint in the Air Force, he was bombed most of the time.

lorazepam said:
I did a stint in the airforce, and I intimately know how things work there. I didnt say whether the folks were good or bad, just that the girl scouts dont normally bomb folks or provide close air support.

I sincerely thank you for your years of service to this country. :usa

lorazepam said:

Goodonya!
My stint was in the Marines, and I was always glad to see the airdales overhead. Our CAS came from navy/marine air, but when you're on the ground it's nice to know the support comes in layers, and it stacked higher than the clouds..... Now, if you guys could get us to the right drop zones 100% of the time, we'd be happy little jarheads. ;)

(And girlscout cookes don't travel well in a rucksack with everything else we carried... tried that once. They taste better as cookies than as melty crumbs.. )

(the cookies, not the scouts.)

gsmetal said:

I hope you took the bus over the the museum annex. They have a large collection of Presidential aircraft there. I was stationed at Wright-Patt for over 5 years and went to the museum quite often. It has changed a lot over the years and now my kids love going there with me.

'Bubba Zanetti' and I were talking about riding down to see it, but I wound up dismissing the plan due to the time required for really seeing it in an unrushed fashion (thanks USAF for the limited hours of operation!), and because I was having too much fun at the rally. Sorry BZ about not catching up with you about my change of plans!
I figure instead I'll get a cheep flight up one weekend and take the time to see at at a more leisurely pace.

bs-gd2.jpg

Back