• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

5GHZ wireless reception.......

dennisdarrow

#4869 Earned Lifetime mem
Santy brought me a video surveilance system this year. 4 cams with: 150' IR nightime, 450' range and more with different antennas, 2 way audio, and lots more........And yes, they work as advertised. So now I have a cam down on the electric gate at the end of my 1/2 mile private road that alerts me that someone is there. Further surveillance monitors are in place to add to the already existing.........SO.....

My wireless internet network got REALLLLLLLY SLOW.......This is due to the cams using the same frequency range as the wireless network and the handheld phones and probably more.........Am talking like 30 seconds or so to go from the main page of this forum to this set of threads.....what to do??????

Got a 5GHZ dualband AC wireless router and made all the difference in the world......170mbs wireless network connection speed.....WOW......Take note that we are on the end of the line of a tin can and string dsl type connection with ATT..........

Not bragging or anything but just passing along a cure for a real problem.........God bless.......Dennis

Interesting Dennis, makes me wonder if there is a "better" modem for my DSL? I have a pieced together (video) system here which works. I like the ease of the wireless systems, BTW how do you power the cameras?
Gary

We are on truly.....the last DSL connection here out in the country. We have been on every kind of Internet transmission capability except direct satelite.......perhaps that is an idea that will someday happen....lol...probably is right now

The power for the camera is out of a 12V battery and solar charger. I have had to "build" my own connections for the batteries; but it's a simple no brainer solder job after figuring out the right size of male connector. Currently, I am figuring out which is the right size of 12V battery. The small one that powers my game cameras lasted all night with the IR running in the cams; but that and my first solar panel was not large enough. .7W charger and a 7 A 20 ah battery. Combine that with the cloudy days and I found out early that I need a larger panel and battery to get me through several days of cloudy and a FAST recharge with a lot of amperage output from the panel.........

My electric gate has a deep charge marine 12V bat and I ended up with putting on a second panel to boost how fast it can recharge or get by on cloudy days..........

So.......Currently, pardon the pun.......I have a MC battery and getting a 10W panel with it's own regulator and will see what happens there. Needing to make a housing for the camera as even though they are for the outdoors they are NOT guaranteed as waterproof........On and on...

BUT........Golly that 5GHZ has really put me into a different category for sure. I always thought it was the line connection as to why we are sooooo slow.....NOW......been running Netflix all afternoon with NO stopping itself to rebuffer and update.....GOOD STUFF.........God bless.........Dennis

It's my understanding that the router speeds up the speed within your home network. I also upgraded my router last month & it made a significant difference.

Santy brought me a video surveilance system this year. 4 cams with: 150' IR nightime, 450' range and more with different antennas, 2 way audio, and lots more........And yes, they work as advertised. So now I have a cam down on the electric gate at the end of my 1/2 mile private road that alerts me that someone is there. Further surveillance monitors are in place to add to the already existing.........SO.....

My wireless internet network got REALLLLLLLY SLOW.......This is due to the cams using the same frequency range as the wireless network and the handheld phones and probably more.........Am talking like 30 seconds or so to go from the main page of this forum to this set of threads.....what to do??????

Got a 5GHZ dualband AC wireless router and made all the difference in the world......170mbs wireless network connection speed.....WOW......Take note that we are on the end of the line of a tin can and string dsl type connection with ATT..........

Not bragging or anything but just passing along a cure for a real problem.........God bless.......Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I too am interested in web cams for surveillance. What system did Santa bring you?

BTW I use Apple routers that use 802.11n which is very fast.

Again......NOT TO BRAG as I truly despise the blatant consumerism of some......BUT........Was out to solve a problem and the problem was the bogged down internet wireless system as I sit up here in the loft looking out on the hills and birdfeeders........SLOW.....So, let the cams, wireless phones, and who knows what else have the 2.4 GHZ range and get up in the 5GHZ range all by itself..........FAST for sure and like it should be........
Ended up with a D-Link router, switch, and two of the gizmos that plug into the puters, recievers........The hardest part of the set-up was figuring out how to take the modem out of bridging for the old router and match it up to the new; but the ATT tech in India was actually pretty good and very helpful by staying with us until completion..........
The cam system is a Lorex 4 camera with receiver as a bundle........by the way they are having a great sale right now on most of their equipment.........They have digital and analog systems and for me, after heavy duty research, and talking with the Lorex folks on the phone is just the system I needed.........

Anyway.........for me, getting rid of the bogged down 2.4GHZ range caused by use of that freq by equipment around the house was a problem solved by switching the puters over to 5GHZ..........God bless........Dennis

Back