Thread: Top Box Light

Top Box Light

Has anyone installed brake lights in the red lens of the BMW top box? I wonder if there's room for a light strip in the lens.

Update 8/22/14: I just saw a post with pics where a guy used Admore 1255RY lights to install into his C650GT BMW top box. I'm next.
    Last edited by GreenThumbSD; 08-23-2014 at 12:40 AM.

I saw something online where someone put some retro-reflective material behind the lens so it at least made a decent reflector; as it sits from the factory there isn't any reflectivity to it at all.
    I did look once at getting a luminescent panel behind there. It might work except not sure if it would be as bright as a brake light should be, might as better as a tail light. Never seriously pursued doing it, seems like more hassle than it would be worth as a conspicuity device. Plus wires running through the top box, having to route the wires and be able to disconnect it; just shelved the idea but maybe someone will come up with some good kit for electrifying the top box. For going through all the hassle, might as well put a convenience light in the box as well, probably the same area as the red lens, would make it easier and would be a nice place for a spot light to shine down in the box area.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by GILLY View Post
    I saw something online where someone put some retro-reflective material behind the lens so it at least made a decent reflector; as it sits from the factory there isn't any reflectivity to it at all.
    I did look once at getting a luminescent panel behind there. It might work except not sure if it would be as bright as a brake light should be, might as better as a tail light. Never seriously pursued doing it, seems like more hassle than it would be worth as a conspicuity device. Plus wires running through the top box, having to route the wires and be able to disconnect it; just shelved the idea but maybe someone will come up with some good kit for electrifying the top box. For going through all the hassle, might as well put a convenience light in the box as well, probably the same area as the red lens, would make it easier and would be a nice place for a spot light to shine down in the box area.
    I did this also, and tested it by driving towards my parked bike at night. It works pretty good, although, a piece of tape on the outside of the lenses was much brighter.