• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Auxiliary PIAA's on the front of my '04 RT?

jsoque

Cousins,

During a run into the Upstate NY area summer 2013, I got caught in a late day downpour.

Had a few opposing riders on the other side of the highway who did the same. We all hit
our additional lights for greater visibility,

Noticed their light configuration and many had an 'A' configuration of a second set of
fog lights.

I added these PIAA 55W/1100 to the front of my 'Talon' highway pegs, and now display a nice
'A Configuration' on my '04 RT with lights down near my jug heads, to accent the PIAA's under
the main headlight (installed from previous owner).

I enjoy greater peripheral visibility on the back roads,
but, can be seen as a definite target on the main roads.

Any other 1150RT riders do the same?

Any different?

I read on an Iron Butt link that a higher mounted light, near, or above the turn signal
housing was poorly advised, as the additional lighting can interfere with seeing
the front flashing of a turn signal to oncoming traffic.

Photos?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• A frame RT.jpg
    A frame RT.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 125
I'm was kinda happy to see I wasn't the only one.

PS: sorry bout the mess in my garage!
:))

Between bikes, sleds, trucks, snow blowers and machine shop crap, I was sorta admiring how well organized you were compared to me.

In practical terms, the electrical load on your bike is pretty significant and I can tell you for an absolute, the numbers of lights you have are illegal in Manitoba. My concern would be making sure I have enough battery for a cold start overnight after running for hours with that load. I don't know if my concern is really valid.

I like the lights.

I have a R1100RT. I removed the decals on the side panels and put the PIAAs there. I used a smaller BMW decal, moved back a little further for symmetry. The same size roundal looked to be too much. The spacing seems to give a decent triangle of lights.

Attachments

• PIAA Side View.jpg
    PIAA Side View.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 104
Jim, On my 2011 RT I also put lights on my highway pegs as you did and it worked well.
On my 2004 RT-P the previous owner replaced the red and blue strobes that were above the fairing with large PIAAs and no one ever turned left in front of me. I never felt there was any interference with the turn signals.

I run the calliper mount for additional lighting as well as the stock under the fairing, the A configuration do'es make a big diff as to be seen by oncoming drivers. fauxton blasters for running lites on lower calipers. looks prety cool to. ill post a pic when i get back down to take one.

Back