• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2013: The Report

Uh....

...yes, let's be clear; and sorry for any confusion... anybody climbing on the back of my RT after a plane ride will be Dara.
Those other two times where I went pillion (yes..once was with my luggage after a jet flight) ...were extenuating circumstances! .

Ken, 850mi to the Atlantic from Montreal....pillion round-trip ticket Calgary - Montreal.... priceless!!! .:love
Paul could hook you up with a really fine 2 nite/3 day ride to base camp that would make for a fine tour.
And you can ride PEI on the return!

I'm thinking of using Portland, Maine if the two-up trip develops... and I'll contact the "Acadia Academic"... Tommcgee, for that route.

three-bowl

And now...the rest of the story....

The Salty Fog Riders Rally is now gearing up for its seventh year. Starting in 2007 (none in 2008), with our 'co conspirator' the late MOA member Paul Bachorz, Mary and I have continued to develop the original vision. We believe that our little rally is unique, relaxing and provides an interesting way to spend a few riding days discovering our part of the world.

And now: The 2013 SALTY FOG RIDERS RALLY RIDE REPORT

So, some basics about the rally:

The part covered by our current rally route:

SALTYFOGRIDERSRALLYcurrentterritorymap_zps8e9aee3f.jpg~original

Where is Larry's River, Nova Scotia?

What is the ride route?

And who, exactly, is responsible for providing this little Nova Scotia adventure?

TomandMary8_zps83fe305a.jpg~original

NEXT: So, what happened on the 2013 Salty Fog Riders Rally?

Last edited:

Well, I'm glad that you asked Bud! As you may know from previous reports, food plays an integral role in our rally generally and in Larry's River specifically. Lots of food prep for the soup (ya soup!!), ham, lasagna, salad, pancakes, homefries, scrambled eggs, sausages and glorious fresh ground coffee. Here are some examples with a few more later

This year's weather was a bit damper than usual but it did not dampen spirits (as usual!). Most chose to set out bedrolls either in the house or in Mary's Art Studio in the barn. The wet gear was hung both outdoors and in the barn.

Wayne started to venture forth but he too hung things on a 'barn line' and went to the studio (more about his Frankentent later).

Discussions, often animated, took shelter away from the weather...

Shorti gathers up the wounded....

...and more soup

.... some Salty Fog cake after supper

TOMORROW WE GO FISHING IN THE OCEAN :lurk

Last edited:
Thanks!

I see in one of the pictures that you liberated a MOA sign.:thumb:thumb

What is the average weight gain per rider during the week? About 15 to 20 lbs!!!!!!! I'm just saying I added 2 pounds just looking at all that fantastic food, and, BTW, the ham smells delicious. :wave

I know some of the people in the pics and met at least one at the RA Rally that I didn't know before.

Great report. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Don't forget, the stories don't have to be true to be good.:)

Today we go fishing! However, not before a visit from the Salty Fog Riders' youngest member - Willow. Sporting an excellent Salty Fog Riders T-Shirt, Willow remains fascinated with Wayne's bike and his assortment of critters. One became a gift to her by Wayne.

BobandMary53_zpsff28887c.jpg~original

A short walk to the wharf to get onboard...

Wayne7_zps734264f0.jpg~original

Our Captain is Damien Delorey. This is his business poster: just in case you are in the area and looking for a bit of a sea cruise and/or fishing adventure.

DAMIENSTOURS_zps3933f0bc.jpg~original

.............. :lurk

All aboard the Get Kraken...

nick11_zps04bc4c6a.jpg~original

The Captain

PaulandShorti42_zpsc6d2ac00.jpg~original

CopyofPaulandShorti36_zpsaa317bd1.jpg~original

LET THE FISHING BEGIN! A PICTORIAL ESSAY :brow

PaulandShorti45_zpsce037a83.jpg~original

PaulandShorti46_zpsde2fa702.jpg~original

PaulandShorti50_zpse6b75b56.jpg~original

PaulandShorti52_zpsd2556032.jpg~original

PaulandShorti55_zps5d2a8e29.jpg~original

PaulandShorti57_zps0e368f09.jpg~original

Finally! A fish for Bob....

PaulandShorti63_zps8c2520f0.jpg~original

PaulandShorti59_zps9f8e77d2.jpg~original

PaulandShorti78_zps2835277f.jpg~original

PaulandShorti80_zps4fbf4657.jpg~original

A LOCAL GUEST

PaulandShorti85_zpsd6196119.jpg~original

Home again and Paul won the official Get Kraken crew member t-shirt. (could not find a picture of it :scratch) Nothing left now but the cooking!

PaulandShorti90_zps0d902c2e.jpg~original

next: On The Road ......... :lurk

Last edited:
Uh.... what can I say...

...well; Oh to have been there! Nice report Bob. And Mary...your beyond belief! Kitchen/food guru & pillion navigator....Bob is so lucky he married up!
And now you have Damion & the "lob-stah" yacht! I can turn that cruise into the off-shore "sea sick excursion"... draws fish I'm told.
Better yet, somebody needs to stay ashore & guard the cooler of Halifax's finest (A.K's IPA) & the Molsen Canadian! That and watch that bikes don't
fall over on the soft & hilly slick grass! A few observations... don't let the guy with the huge knife near the ham; he massacred that cake edge like
you'd gouge it out with fingers! And the MOA highly decorated tour & mileage winner fellow seems to be teasing me, showing he has the "last bowl"
of the soup! (note: best chicken soup ever) Nice of Shorti to pick up after Wayne, as she goes for a coffee refill. Neat pic of Harry reminding everyone
not to take his corner lounger when he gets up. With his view into the kitchen, he is good to let everybody know to follow him when its time to eat.
What???..."weather damper than usual" at the SFRR! That would be "normal" for a few there. Hey Willow...john says hi :wave

as always...enjoying the memories
three bowl

...well; Oh to have been there! Nice report Bob. And Mary...your beyond belief! Kitchen/food guru & pillion navigator....Bob is so lucky he married up!
And now you have Damion & the "lob-stah" yacht! I can turn that cruise into the off-shore "sea sick excursion"... draws fish I'm told.
Better yet, somebody needs to stay ashore & guard the cooler of Halifax's finest (A.K's IPA) & the Molsen Canadian! That and watch that bikes don't
fall over on the soft & hilly slick grass! A few observations... don't let the guy with the huge knife near the ham; he massacred that cake edge like
you'd gouge it out with fingers! And the MOA highly decorated tour & mileage winner fellow seems to be teasing me, showing he has the "last bowl"
of the soup! (note: best chicken soup ever) Nice of Shorti to pick up after Wayne, as she goes for a coffee refill. Neat pic of Harry reminding everyone
not to take his corner lounger when he gets up. With his view into the kitchen, he is good to let everybody know to follow him when its time to eat.
What???..."weather damper than usual" at the SFRR! That would be "normal" for a few there. Hey Willow...john says hi :wave

as always...enjoying the memories
three bowl

:rofl We did have the Ron and Nick security team while we were away at sea and, yes, I suspect that Ron had a twinge of mischief while spooning out the soup. Does this bowl look MT2U ?:whistle

BobandMary69_zps0bdf32b0.jpg~original

Maaaaaan, now I'm really sorry I had to turn around in St. John. Awesome pictures, thanks to all who took them and to Bob and Mary for posting up this report. At least I did get to see the two of them in Massachusetts last June!

Maaaaaan, now I'm really sorry I had to turn around in St. John. Awesome pictures, thanks to all who took them and to Bob and Mary for posting up this report. At least I did get to see the two of them in Massachusetts last June!

Much better to attend to what you must than to proceed. As the first ever person to our rally (except for the day that Ron came a week early... but that's another story) ..... your room awaits.....and your year five award also awaits. Good to see you in MA though!

And speaking of prizes/awards: After draws for mugs and such, the grand prize is again one of Mary's paintings. This year the prize went to our resident astronomer and Guide To The Stars: Quinn

BobandMary61_zps20a494a4.jpg~original

Last edited:
GOOD MORNIN' LARRY'S RIVER !

BobandMary68_zpsc6b254c4.jpg~original

Ok, it's just a bit of fog but it will burn off...... won't it? :huh Maybe but let's eat! :eat

BobandMary64_zps1973b986.jpg~original

BobandMary67_zpsd1e4ac21.jpg~original

BobandMary66_zpsa098fa16.jpg~original

on the road...

First, a group photo in front of the painted rocks depicting the early arrival of the Acadians to the Larry's River area as well as referencing the later expulsion of Acadians from Nova Scotia by the British. It is also interesting to note that Larry's River is named for an Irishman moose hunter from Halifax by the name of Larry Keating. His hunting camp, as far as we can determine, was just about in front of our home at the river's edge. Our house was built about 1830 and Larry was camped prior to that. Poor ol' Larry gets no further referencing in local history (and to make matters worse, the old maps show the river as Northwest River). This is an odd hiccup in local historical lore. However, Mary's last name, Delorey, appears repeatedly in the long history of the area. Mary's River? I digress.

nick8_zps800f4b5b.jpg~original

PaulandShorti111_zpse391de4f.jpg~original
(Shorti is missing because she's taking the picture)

PaulandShorti112_zps6ce49d0d.jpg~original

... and then ONWARD! Through the Fog...

PaulandShorti113_zpsf22710cd.jpg~original

Maryoct2009297.jpg~original
(archives photo)

After meandering up to Little Narrows and crossing on the Cable Ferry, we follow the shore along Bras d'Or Lakes and cross at Chapel Road - a tiny connector road to Route 4. After lunch at Rita's Tea Room in Big Pond, we arrive in Louisbourg.

Setting up in Louisbourg (archives photo)

DSC05558.jpg~original

Uh oh.... archive photo's

...can only mean one thing! A wet campsite on a quaint harbor, just around the bay from a tall lighthouse enshrouded in mist.
But with fresh seafood, a "spirits" depot, and live theater Celtic music... how good can it get?
Well, just down on the point is a huge fortress in the fog! You WIN...we watch. .:beer

"three-bowl"... SFRR 11/12

...can only mean one thing! A wet campsite on a quaint harbor, just around the bay from a tall lighthouse enshrouded in mist.
But with fresh seafood, a "spirits" depot, and live theater Celtic music... how good can it get?
Well, just down on the point is a huge fortress in the fog! You WIN...we watch. .:beer

"three-bowl"... SFRR 11/12

It's an 'honesty in reporting' habit :type. I find that sometimes a good archives picture will smooth out the transition of pictures. However, except for that picture of Mary, I limit pics to signs and such for information as well that transition implant. Note will indicate the implant. So..... back to The Ride. - Bob

Setup was damp but manageable. The plan is setup, a beer run, supper at the Lobster Kettle
( http://www.lobsterkettle.com/ ) and then the Louisbourg Playhouse ( www.louisbourgplayhouse.ca ).

20130904_093517_zpsb929cff2.jpg~original

Wayne, who seems to have traces of SurvivorMan in him, makes attempts to repair prior tent damage. His attempt gave birth to Frankentent. It proved to be an unforgiving creation during the evening rain.

Wayne23_zps9dfd0f8a.jpg~original

Back