• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2013: The Report

After a fine meal at the Lobster Kettle we head down to the Playhouse to see Jennifer Roland (and band) (http://www.sfcelticmusic.com/JenniferRoland/ ).

PaulandShorti114_zpsa6e93ac0.jpg~original

IMG_1923_zps5cc62375.jpg~original

PaulandShorti115_zps03477628.jpg~original

BobandMary99_zpsd91447b6.jpg~original

(trying to get video to work but it's not working as needed:banghead)

That night some chose to sleep in the Group Meeting Room. Very kind of Mary, the manager of the Louisbourg campground ( http://louisbourg.com/motorhomepark/ ) We are always welcomed here and treated like royalty! Great location.

PaulandShorti126_zpsd2a1b62c.jpg~original

:type NOTE: editing today to say that I had to attend to some other duties BUT will be back to complete the exciting adventures of the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2013 before the week is done.:lurk

Last edited:
I have a couple more photos. And here's a short 90 second video of the "typical" weather. Mary and I had a great time and can vouch for the B&Bs across Nova Scotia.

Hi -just dropping in. I'm not going to the MOA National this summer, in fact I don't plan on crossing the mississippi. Will go to the RA rally in Barber and spend some time down there. Long range planning is to check out Newfoundland and then hit the Salty Fog.
Harry

I have a couple more photos. And here's a short 90 second video of the "typical" weather. Mary and I had a great time and can vouch for the B&Bs across Nova Scotia.

Thanks for posting Tom. We REALLY must get one of those cameras! Have a couple of pictures of you and Mary coming up in the latter part of this report (yes, I'm a tad slow getting back to it but it will happen). - Bob

It's Wednesday morning so first we walk up the street to Jakes for a modest buffet with lots of coffee. After a night of fine musical theater and lively chat in the campground group-room (aka sleeping quarters for some!)- pushed forward by a few brews, even this modest provision of sustenance was a welcome sight.

36c491f1-3dff-4fd5-bb10-ff5b213c8059_zpsf2938f78.jpg~original

BobandMary127_zps25bc3948.jpg~original

BobandMary128_zps7822b0c8.jpg~original

df6d3092-16ab-4d51-a29d-66df078f8975_zps54d84b60.jpg~original

NEXT: A walk back to the campground, pack and a quick ride to Fortress Louisbourg (300 year anniversary)

After a short walk back to the campground, all mounted for a ride to Fortress Louisboug. Once the tickets were purchased and helmets locked away in lockers, we settled into a shuttle ride to the Fortress. http://www.fortressoflouisbourg.ca/

BobandMary5_zps06b59d12.jpg~original

A misty Fortress rolls into view...

PaulandShorti129_zpsbb374c85.jpg~original

PaulandShorti128_zps2786e5a0.jpg~original

PaulandShorti131_zpsfffd9ca7.jpg~original

PaulandShorti134_zpsdd99babe.jpg~original

We were told that it was customary for royalty and others of the 'upper class' to walk in the middle of the street while those ranking below that level were expected to walk on the sides near the buildings. Why? Because waste water etc would be thrown from the windows and periodically some unlucky soul would end up wearing it. Folks in the middle would avoid such misfortune. Subsequenty, Paul takes heed of this warning

BobandMary172_zps375087d6.jpg~original

Fresh bread from the bakery was a treat, albeit something to gnaw at and digest slowly.

BobandMary163_zpsbab6636b.jpg~original

The end of a great meal and our tour through history....

260bd9df-cf87-4881-b2ee-e78075f1fecc_zps3a61e442.jpg~original

NEXT: RIDING ON TO THE CABOT TRAIL :lurk

Leaving Louisbourg we ride to the KOA in North Sydney. A short 50 mile (80 km) ride. We highly recommend this excellent facility with great food located less than one mile across the bridge :thumb http://koa.com/campgrounds/north-sydney/

BobandMary208_zps2e8b2913.jpg~original

Again this year things were a bit damper than ideal so....... following in last year's footsteps..... cabins and the group room were obtained.

BobandMary204_zpsb4e66a8c.jpg~original

Settled in and hungry our next stop this evening is a ride across the Seal Island Bridge (we crossed it already on our ride from Louisbourg) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_Island_Bridge) to the Seal Island Restaurant and Motel. The new owner, Leeann Barry, was a delightful and efficient host. Seal Island Restaurant and Motel Address: 843 highway 105 Phone: (902) 674-2418 Email: reservations@sealislandmotel.com

20130904_185126_zps33936647.jpg~original

BobandMary196_zps04b2647a.jpg~original

:eat

BobandMary200_zps657eb31b.jpg~original

BobandMary201_zpsbfcc0984.jpg~original

Well fed, we ride back to the campsite for another excellent session with our Guide To The Galaxy: Quinn. The sky is clearing enough for a lesson around the campfire... :lurk

What....

....You's guy's still digest'n samich's & watch'n stars with Quinn!! Cabot Trail can't be that scarry! Can it.....

The "edge uh earf" gather'n must go on.... and don't close yer eyes pass'n through Wreck Cove. .:brow

three bowl john

Last edited:
Star Gazing With Quinn...

...is always a treat! Back at the KOA the sky clears and the fire comes to life. Quinn's laser-lecture captures us all

20130904_213845_zpsb4ac9a3d.jpg~original

20130904_213820_zps4d8d7ba5.jpg~original

20130904_215348_zpsadbe34cd.jpg~original

Ok, back at it! Leaving the KOA we head up Smokey....

SmokeySign.jpg~original

.... as long as you're not behind a tour bus this climb is great fun! Breakfast and a tour of the Bell Museum in Baddeck is our immediate destination. A half hour ride. First: breakfast at the Yellow Cello.

NICK1_zps25da8150.jpg~original

One person decided to start before the rest of us...:whistle

BobandMary217_zps7751bbf9.jpg~original

But finally (finally!) our food started to arrive.

BobandMary213_zps8b16b075.jpg~original

Next stop: The Alexander Graham Bell Museum http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx and a YouTube video of town and museum

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/KXIU-mUj3xc?hl=en_GB&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/KXIU-mUj3xc?hl=en_GB&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

bellsign_zps02e53736.jpg~original

20130905_104958_zps2282a072.jpg~original

20130905_105031_zps55add4f8.jpg~original

20130905_105050_zpscf50ef2a.jpg~original

Next a ride to Meat Cove

While I get the next round of pictures up here is a nice little 'warm up' video of another rider's adventure on the Cabot Trail...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lPXzR8G7yZw?list=PLG3MTFNOlPydwVf2nxxIYa5LkTrzXKW1X" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
All I gotta say....

....about post# 53.... The sign & the view put a wee tear in me eye....er vice versa!

But maybe it's the atmospheric conditions vicinity ol'e smokie?

three bowl john

....about post# 53.... The sign & the view put a wee tear in me eye....er vice versa!

But maybe it's the atmospheric conditions vicinity ol'e smokie?

three bowl john

great twisties going up that run eh John? Staring at the sky as we climb. And the vista at the top is truly inspiring. BTW, trying to get back at the wind-up of the Ride Report...... some unavoidable delays. Back soon though. - Bob

:typeOk, a chance to get back to finishing this report. For those interested in the rally's concluding pictures and notes, I will be installing these this evening.

Secondly, under a new thread the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2014 will be in 'promotion mode'. The date will be

AUGUST 31 TO SEPTEMBER 5

and, again be based out of Larry's River, Nova Scotia (N 45 13.478 W O61 22.545) We are considering opening it up for an extra day on Saturday August 30th in order to be able to have the opportunity to participate in some local village holiday activities. Again, a consideration. Mackerel gigging and bbq are in the plan again. That and "the rest of the story" in a new thread. If interested please contact us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com There is a size limit of twenty bikes and 25 people.
- Bob

Back