• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Belstaff Textile MC wear?

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
I see Belstaff brand textile jackets in flea markets on various motorcycle forums, but for the life of me, cannot locate a U.S. source.
Anyone know of a retailer stateside? The textile jackets I've seen online look like quality gear. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

Thanks!
Oh, and happy New year to all.

Belstaff has always been a premium brand. I used to run the waxed cotton jacket and pants back in my days of running enduros. I'm not in a spot where I can do an effective search but from memory the US place was British Clothing or something like that. It has become less available in the US for some reason. I have a pretty fair assortment of Barbour clothing which is also waxed cotton and is well serviced at their New Hampshire facility.
OM

I have a Belstaff Discovery jacket that I bought from British Motorcycle Gear in 2003,it still keeps me warm and dry. thier web site is; britishmotorcyclegear.com I've also got three other jackets,and two trousers. Georgia has four distinct seasons,so I use them all.

Aerostitch has a really nice range that are similar to the Bestaff waxed cottons. They are called Falstaff if I recall. The other nice feature with the Aerostitch version is that there is a capacity to add armor for greater protection than waxed cotton offers alone. I used to have a belstaff waxed cotton when growing up and the two things I remember was that it was incredibly waterproof when maintained (more than a little useful in the UK) and that it had a funky smell from the wax when it was warm. It was a. Super comfy jacket though and definitely a go to piece of clothing.

I see Belstaff brand textile jackets in flea markets on various motorcycle forums, but for the life of me, cannot locate a U.S. source.
Anyone know of a retailer stateside? The textile jackets I've seen online look like quality gear. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

Thanks!
Oh, and happy New year to all.

Some local dealers carry their line. I bought the long coat back in the 90's Left on a trip..it leaked.

The water stain line was obvious, and I kept the tee shirt I had on as well. Showed both of course to the dealer. He refunded me on the spot...no arguing. He wrote a brief note to Belstaff, and ask if i would sign it for his benefit ? I did.

So...while I have no real complaints to linger...it soured me on the brand.

I have a Belstaff Discovery jacket that I bought from British Motorcycle Gear in 2003,it still keeps me warm and dry. thier web site is; britishmotorcyclegear.com I've also got three other jackets,and two trousers. Georgia has four distinct seasons,so I use them all.

I have never used the waxed cotton jackets. I believe I read somewhere that it is very breathable, which would be a real plus in the oppressive humidity we get in the summer in GA. Have you found that to be true in you experience?

I remember trying some on at a booth at the Progressive Motorcycle Show when it came to town. Otherwise I think the Aerostich wax cotton is a good alternative.

Yeah, I forgot about that :thumb It looks like the relatively common jacket that was available back in the day :gerg
The flannel lining used to pick up a rather "homey" aroma from the peaty soil.....mixed with the smell of Golden Spectro and ethanol free gas....like a trip back in time. :D

Yeah, I forgot about that :thumb It looks like the relatively common jacket that was available back in the day :gerg
The flannel lining used to pick up a rather "homey" aroma from the peaty soil.....mixed with the smell of Golden Spectro and ethanol free gas....like a trip back in time. :D

Of course the solution was easier back then too...add a generous tablespoon of Castrol R to your gas tank (even four stroke) and ride around for a while to add a more tolerable aroma to the clothing. It did nothing to the engine except perhaps foul the plug in the four stroke but the aroma was simply to die for (or die from?) but the two smoke aroma was able to overwhelm the waxed cotton smell...at least for a while lol

I have never used the waxed cotton jackets. I believe I read somewhere that it is very breathable, which would be a real plus in the oppressive humidity we get in the summer in GA. Have you found that to be true in you experience?

I could not imagine wearing that in a GA or FL heat and humidity. Even in the English summer it was too warm and that was definitely not close to that of GA

I have a Belstaff wax cotton and have used it in the supposedly oppressive summer heat in Florida and GA. No big deal, just wear a tshirt underneath and keep the jacket unzipped about two inches and go fast enough.

What I do not like is the WAX, your hands and nails are always dirty from wax residue.

I have a Belstaff Mercury textile that I love. It's got 12 or 13 seasons on it right now. I bought it at the International Motorcycle Show back in 2000 or 2001, can't remember which. I believe British Motorcycle Gear was the vendor. I didn't think it was all that spendy, and it certainly has been a good jacket.

I'd love to have that Tourist Trophy jacket. Add a white shorty helmet and I could pretend I was Mike Hailwood on a MV Augusta 500.

These waxed-material jackets do not breath. The same properties allowing no water in, also do not allow vapor out. This is when they are new. As they are worn, eventually the wax starts to migrate out or be worn off/through. The result is that the material actually will start to breath a bit, but the trade-off is that now it will also leak through during a rain.
There are two competing major brands of these jackets: Belstaff, and Barbour International. Both claim to be the originator (everybody's favorite GS riders wore Belstaff). The modern versions, while trendy, are made from lighter weight materials than those of the past.
These jackets were so popular that by the mid-sixties, one would have been hard pressed to find a rider, entered in the ISDT, who was not wearing one.

Do you want to know about waxed cotton, or the more modern Textile Belstaff gear. I own both. The newer Mercury,Discovery etc is what I thought the question was about. British Motorcycle Gear sells all of them. I have a Zenith,a Mercury, a Discovery and a waxed cotton Trailmaster. The mecury and discovery are modern fabrics,waterproof,have armour and removable liners. The trailmaster is a vintage jacket,but it works well,is waterproof(when re proofed) but does not have armour or liner in most cases. The Zenith is more like a codura jean jacket. It's not waterproof.

Back