• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Performance riding schools reviews wanted. Not interested in racing with V. Rossi

I am very interested in improving my road riding skills after all the bad habits I am sure I've picked up over the years. I am keen on attending a riding school. Most of the schools I've found offer classes with sport bikes like the S1000RR or something similar. They are great bikes, but I don't ride a sport bike and am not interested in giving Valentino Rossi a run for his money. I like to ride fast on my bikes, K1600GT, K1200GT and the like, but am wondering if a sport bike school is for me? Is there a school for "Old Farts that like to go fast?" Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, pros and cons wanted.

I am I in the right forum for this subject?

You are likely talking about Keith Codes Superbike school. I have taken his class, as well as others. Don't worry about it being on a sport bike. The skills you learn are skills that apply to all riding (except perhaps dirt or cruisers). Learning cornering, braking, apexing, weight distribution, etc., will all be good. And going fast is NOT what they teach. In fact, going slower and learning technique is stressed. Sort of like lifting weights with small amounts until you get your form. You really go at your own speed. The later classes involve a bike with outriggers so you can lean it over so far that it will lowside, but won't because it is held up.

If you were closer to the Virginia/NC border, I'd recommend "Cornerspeed" which you take on your own bike or a rental. Also a great class. It is the class I took to get my racing license.

What Robo said. The skills transfer, they teach precision, not speed. Codes school is good, some track day organizations have good training too, make a few calls and talk to people in the area. If you are willing to travel, there are lots of 2 and 3 day 'camp' style schools, run by people like Spencer, Pridmore, Mamola, Kern etc, that spend as much time teaching as riding.

Personally I don't think you will regret it, Rider training is the BEST safety improvement any motorcyclist can buy.

Reg Pridmore's CLASS is great and very street oriented. Highly recommend for ALL riders.

Plus 2 on CLASS. Even though you ride and learn the skills on the track, the classroom sessions all focus on street riding.

Lee Parks' Total Control Riding clinics

Lee teaches his whole clinic in a parking lot. Before you laugh, check out his website. The military has hired him to teach all the young men that suddenly by a liter bike and crash on their maiden voyage. His clinic will help anyone who wants to ride with more skill and control. I took one of his clinics where he personally was there to teach. These are more difficult to find, but if you can go to one of those, it will be worth it. His book, by the same title, is excellent.

I have taken Reg's course at Laguna Seca and at Heartland Park (several times). I have also taken his son Jason's STAR school at Heartland Park a couple of times. Both are excellent. Jason is a little more race oriented but the thrust is still all skills that transfer to street riding.

Back