• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150/RT spews gas on deck first start up. Stops and ok after warm up...

rickdee219

Use it every day and it's ok. If it sits for a couple of days drips gasoline after started. I have watched it after the key is on and the fuel pump pressurizes. No spillage. Once engine started then the drippage begins. I ride it 11 miles to work. I let it idle at dismount and no gas evident. End of 11 hour day, I start it, no matter what the temp, 90 or 45, (you get the idea) no spillage. Let it sit a couple of days then problem is back. Gasoline puddling under bike after engine start up. What's going on?

I suspect a loose hose clamp. Since it seems to be repeatable take the plastic off and find the source.

mine was doing this. The inside of the fuel lines was degraded. I tightened the clamp on the disconnects. I replaced it with the screw type. I replaced it with the FI type. Still leaked. New line, no leak. get correct rating.

Rod

After I replaced the old hose, I cut it open, It was hard and the inside had thousands of cracks. I think when it sits with the pressure off for a few days the liner shrinks and the cracks open. Then with pressure then cracks slowly close. Mine would leak for the first mile or two. I think i might have always seeped a tiny bit, I now get better fuel economy than it ever got before.

Rod

Use it every day and it's ok. If it sits for a couple of days drips gasoline after started. I have watched it after the key is on and the fuel pump pressurizes. No spillage. Once engine started then the drippage begins. I ride it 11 miles to work. I let it idle at dismount and no gas evident. End of 11 hour day, I start it, no matter what the temp, 90 or 45, (you get the idea) no spillage. Let it sit a couple of days then problem is back. Gasoline puddling under bike after engine start up. What's going on?

I had a cracked QD and replaced them. A few weeks later mine had the startup leaking scenario you described and it drove me nuts! I finally did what Paul suggested and pulled the Tupperware off and started it up, bingo, old fuel lines and clamps got replaced. Problem solved..........

:thumb:thumb:thumb

After I replaced the old hose, I cut it open, It was hard and the inside had thousands of cracks. I think when it sits with the pressure off for a few days the liner shrinks and the cracks open. Then with pressure then cracks slowly close. Mine would leak for the first mile or two. I think i might have always seeped a tiny bit, I now get better fuel economy than it ever got before.

Rod

Thanks Rod. This makes sense. I will make this a project when the weather gets warmer. Appreciate the response.

remove your charcole canister before it plugs yer filter up, if ya havent allready.

I did have a plugged fuel filter around 66,000 miles. Local shop found the "no start" issue and replaced it. Charcoal canister? Guess I better research a location and check the viability of your suggestion. (the bike has 76k on it right now).

Any R bike that age should have the tank opened up and the lines changed before they get so bad you get stuck someplace you don't want to be (U hose failures are well known, for example) - unless you know its been done in the past 5 years or so.
The fuel filter change interval for inside the tank filters is 24K IIRC but I'm sure many (most?) simply skip it- so never inspect lines- due to the cost / perceived difficulty of opening a fuel tank plate.

Rubber is not an immortal / indestructible substance.

Back