Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Cherohala Skyway Condition 12/29/13

  1. #1
    Registered User bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast GA
    Posts
    209

    Cherohala Skyway Condition 12/29/13

    I'm considering a ride over Cherohala on either New Years Eve or New Years day...in either case, during daylight hours.

    Anyone have any insights to what condition the road surface is in (Ice? Snow?), now that the latest storm has passed through?

    Thanks.

    Bob
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

    2016 BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Honda XR650L

  2. #2
    Registered User ItsPhilD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    I'm considering a ride over Cherohala on either New Years Eve or New Years day...in either case, during daylight hours.

    Anyone have any insights to what condition the road surface is in (Ice? Snow?), now that the latest storm has passed through?

    Thanks.

    Bob
    I don't know about there but I rode up to Cave Creek, AZ today and the roads were just fine and the temps a bit brisk at about 71F 👍

  3. #3
    Registered User ItsPhilD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    I'm considering a ride over Cherohala on either New Years Eve or New Years day...in either case, during daylight hours.

    Anyone have any insights to what condition the road surface is in (Ice? Snow?), now that the latest storm has passed through?

    Thanks.

    Bob
    I don't know about there but I rode up to Cave Creek, AZ today and the roads were just fine and the temps a bit brisk at about 71F.

  4. #4
    What's that noise...? basketcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    988
    I can't speak to the exact conditions for today but I know from past experience it can be smooth riding at the bottom, turn treacherous at the top, and get smooth again as one descends back to the lower elevations. It's the same as any other such mountain ride in that respect.

    To wit - when my wife and I were there last year in October it was cold and overcast when we suited up at the gas station on the Tellico side, was sleeting and snowing as we crossed the top, and turned tolerable again by the time we got over to the greasy spoon at Deal's Gap.

    My thought would be to contact the local ranger station or perhaps the folks at Tellico Moto to get real time intel of what to expect.
    '98 BMW Z3 Roadster, '00 R1100RT

    If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.

  5. #5
    Registered User bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast GA
    Posts
    209

    Exactly right.

    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    I can't speak to the exact conditions for today but I know from past experience it can be smooth riding at the bottom, turn treacherous at the top, and get smooth again as one descends back to the lower elevations. It's the same as any other such mountain ride in that respect.

    To wit - when my wife and I were there last year in October it was cold and overcast when we suited up at the gas station on the Tellico side, was sleeting and snowing as we crossed the top, and turned tolerable again by the time we got over to the greasy spoon at Deal's Gap.

    My thought would be to contact the local ranger station or perhaps the folks at Tellico Moto to get real time intel of what to expect.
    You understand the place...up top its a different micro-climate. Tellico Moto is operating on their "Winter hours" and won't be available between now and New Years.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

    2016 BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Honda XR650L

  6. #6
    Howdy. I live in north Georgia,not far from the Cherohala Skyway. The weather has been wet and cold here. It is 33 degrees right now and cloudy,and probably cooler there. I have not heard of any landslides lately,but the do happen. Do call the ranger first. It is one of my favorite rides.

  7. #7
    Registered User bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast GA
    Posts
    209

    Update 1/1/14

    Rode over Cherohala today and the road was in very good condition...almost completely dry. They have salted the road and there is some evidence of that, but its very light. There's lots of heavy icing on the rock faces but I saw no signs of water running onto the road. I don't think the temps got below freezing even at the highest elevation...I'm estimating it was around 40F...though I never stopped to carefully examine my thermometer.

    Anyway, my first ride of the year was a doozy...appreciate your help!
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

    2016 BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Honda XR650L

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville,ga
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    Rode over Cherohala today and the road was in very good condition...almost completely dry. They have salted the road and there is some evidence of that, but its very light. There's lots of heavy icing on the rock faces but I saw no signs of water running onto the road. I don't think the temps got below freezing even at the highest elevation...I'm estimating it was around 40F...though I never stopped to carefully examine my thermometer.

    Anyway, my first ride of the year was a doozy...appreciate your help!

    That is most definitely a great ride to start the new year. Fortunate that the road was in good shape. I would think that in most years the road conditions on New Years day could be treacherous for motorcycles, especially the stretch at the Tn and NC border,

  9. #9
    Registered User bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast GA
    Posts
    209

    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by ducster View Post
    That is most definitely a great ride to start the new year. Fortunate that the road was in good shape. I would think that in most years the road conditions on New Years day could be treacherous for motorcycles, especially the stretch at the Tn and NC border,
    I have seen pictures of the Skyway when it would not have been a fun ride. My plan was to start up it and if it got at all dicey, turn around. But crossing several gaps in north Georgia, I had a pretty good idea that it was going to be ok.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

    2016 BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Honda XR650L

  10. #10

    Cool

    It is an awesome ride. My wife and I rode it a couple of times last year. The first time was midday in August and it was hot on both ends...pleasant at times...and cold in the middle. The second ride we made was in November at night...cold at Tellico Moto...cold at times...and lows of 30F. Damn cold but a fun ride. Unfortunately, the great Mike at Tellico Moto and his wife, the icecream lady across the street have retired. They are riding and enjoying life, but are missed.

  11. #11
    Fuse lit.... PittsDriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    325
    Some buddies that live there have told me that the Cherohala is pretty beat up with frost heaves and potholes. It was a rough winter there and it's been a while since any paving has been done.
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red (for the epic road trips) (gone but not forgotten)
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray (for the track)
    2014 KLR 650, White/Black (for the TAT)
    2016 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)

  12. #12

    Cool

    I haven't been this year, but will update if do.

  13. #13

    Skyway a few weeks ago; still awe inspiring

    I live in the Chattanooga area and ride the Skyway as a day trip multiple times a year (my favorite ride on my 2012K1300S). It is still in great shape and a spectacular ride. Although, yes the winter was hard and it is significantly worse but only in a few places. I rode it a few weeks ago and can attest that a few spots, particularly a few in NC which were rough previously, are now very rough (as in TC activating if one skips over the choppy asphalt too fast with the suspension in sport mode). The rest is still altogether...majestic. Probably gone now with the rains, but weeks ago there was still a lot of salt and gravel on the turns by the Rattlesnake overlook. Very dangerous. I saw reference to Tellico Moto in the string below; they closed...tragic. Ride safely...

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    73

    thank you for the update

    I headed up there on the 25th. Nice to hear that it is mostly in good shape.

  15. #15
    Registered User bobframe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northeast GA
    Posts
    209
    I did my third ride of the year over Cherohala last week. After lunch at (my favorite restaurant on the planet) Tellico Grains, we thought we'd drop by Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters, only to discover they'd closed shop (Feb 28, 2014). The world's a worse place for it.
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

    2016 BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Honda XR650L

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •