• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

S type fairing for an 83 R100?

rossrobertb

I have a 83 R100. Right now it is naked, with handlebars that are a little lower and forward than stock. I am thinking of adding an "S" type fairing to give a little wind protection in winter riding. I looked up the parts on MaxBMW and they are expensive. Are there aftermarket "S" or "bikini" fairings that are similar, and less pricey? Are these things pretty easy to install?

Any experience, advice regarding alternative fairings, mounting, etc., is appreciated. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks.

Bob R.
Portland

I have collected a few listings for fairings from different companies in the Resources and Links thread. I believe there are several places that offer the bikini style fairing. Not sure what you're idea of "expensive" is.

Yes the S fairing assembly is available from BMW, it is expensive, but when you consider it's nicely made, it comes with all the mounting brackets and it fits, it's not a bad deal.

I've seen after market ones, some are ok, some not.

Yes the S fairing assembly is available from BMW, it is expensive, but when you consider it's nicely made, it comes with all the mounting brackets and it fits, it's not a bad deal.

I recall it is primer only. You have to add another $250.- for a decent paint job. Approaching $1,000.- for a fairing sounds kind of pricey to me..It's going to be 20% of the value of the bike.

You might check with any of the salvage yards in Kurt's Resources and Links thread (see post #2) to see if they have a used one, or are willing to keep an eye out for one for you. I am partial to Mikey at Martindale Motorcycle Works (http://martindalemotorcycleworks.com/index.html or 512-357-2842) and Joshua Buck at Partshaus (562-254-0452).

I've visited Mikey's place in person and bought a number of things from him- he's got a pretty good collection, although I imagine he sells those fairings as fast as he gets them. He might be willing to keep an eye out for you and let you know when he gets one.

Joshua also is pretty good to deal with- he's sending me a new/used windshield for my RS later this week.

Might watch the IBMWR marketplace also... gotta be quick there though.

Last edited:
I have a 83 R100. Right now it is naked, with handlebars that are a little lower and forward than stock. I am thinking of adding an "S" type fairing to give a little wind protection in winter riding. I looked up the parts on MaxBMW and they are expensive. Are there aftermarket "S" or "bikini" fairings that are similar, and less pricey? Are these things pretty easy to install?

Any experience, advice regarding alternative fairings, mounting, etc., is appreciated. Pictures would be nice.

Thanks.

Bob R.
Portland

ya might try the guys @ Re-Psycle BMW in Lithopolis,Ohio...(614) 837-1160. They carry allot of parts / accessories for older BMW's Their prices {IMO} aren't bad at all.

Thanks.

Bob R.
Portland

Bob,

Checkout BoxerCafe, they have a number of different fairing types, nice stuff, I buy my race fairings from them. You won't find mounting hardware or windscreens just the fairings in primer.

http://www.boxercafe.com/BMWSfairings.htm

Good Luck,
Rich

I recall it is primer only. You have to add another $250.- for a decent paint job. Approaching $1,000.- for a fairing sounds kind of pricey to me..It's going to be 20% of the value of the bike.

20%.....In all of our minds only. I think positively too.

I'd recommend you have a look on Ebay for real BMW fairing parts. You may find some decent ones that need work. You'll likely save a ton of $$ but you add a body guy's work to paint it all up, new or used. Just have to be patient with Ebay...Sometimes painfully patient.

HH

Thanks.

Bob R.
Portland

Take a look at the Rifle Nightflight fairing.
http://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Fairings/Rifle-Nightflight-Fairing.aspx

$249 in primer; + $50 for gloss black, +$100 for color matched

Rifle Nightflight.jpg

R100 Fairing

Thanks.

Bob R.
Portland

Hi Bob,

I had same dilemma few weeks ago, when I acquired my '77 R100/7.
Original BMW S fairing looked too pricey to me, so I started my research first on eBay and then from ads in Cafe' Racer Magazine.
I found the same seller offering quarter fairing for under $90.- shipped, only the problem was it said for headlamps 7" or less- mine being larger, over 8".
After looking at his pics I had hunch the opening is large enough to work on my bike- hence, price low enough to play with it if necessary to enlarge it by grinding...
When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised- the size of opening was just perfect!
But it was necessary to make new, larger/longer side attachments- used stock aluminum 1" and 1 and 1/2" bars from hardware store- and to drill/carve openings on both sides of the bottom of fairing to fit around blinker's stems.
I am very pleased with the final result, fairing looks very authentic and helps a lot at highway speeds.
There were few more adjustments to do- I can provide details if interested, have many pics.
Look at eBay under BMW R100 Cafe Windshield.-BMW R 100 fairing 016e.jpgBMW R 100 fairing 017e.jpgBMW R 100 fairing 020e.jpg
The finish is gloss black in the mold and by good luck matched my black finish perfectly.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Vlado

This fairing is an Emgo/Viper fairing and available from a variety of different sources. As cheap as $60.- I have one on my Honda GB500.

S fairing

HI GUYS HAPPY NEW YEAR, try" flatracer" they do a complete kit,less S bars for 250 pounds sterling plus postage of coarse, they have changed their web site around a bit, but I was still able to get all the info, the kits come with or without headlight ears, hope this assists ,jimmy

Last edited:
A number of years ago I had a knockoff S style fairing on my '84 R100. It attached with U slotted brackets to the headlight mounts. That didn't seem sufficient, but it worked reasonably well. To be sure, I never cruised at length above 85.

Cost was an issue for me, so I went with this bikini fairing from boxercafe for my naked 91 R100. I think it was like $75 in primer gray. I was painting other bits anyway, so the incremental cost was negligible. It bolted right on the headlight ear mounts. It certainly does not have the protection of a S type fairing, nor the classic looks, but does shield the instrument cluster and enhance the bike aesthetic. Have fun with your project! bikini.jpg

Back