• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S type fairing for an 83 R100?

S type fairing on 83 R100

Vlado,

I have a couple of questions about your set-up.

Is the fairing anchored to the bike at the ears holding the headlight? On mine, the ignition key is on the left headlight ear. I don't know where it is on your /7. Is it the same? If it is the same , do you have any trouble reaching in and inserting the key with the fairing in place?

Mine has a separate clock (left) and voltmeter (right) of the central tach/speedo unit. These are mounted on "ears" of their own, attached to the top of the forks. From your pics, it looks like there is sufficient room for these to fit in there also. I was also thinking that the fairing could also attach to those ears, maybe as additional bracing.

My headlight lens is 7 and 5/8 inches, and with the chrome ring, diameter is about 8 and 1/4 or 3/8 inches. Is that about what you had?

Any pictures you could post about the internal connections would be appreciated.

From the outside, that looks very good on your ride. Also, I like the straight glossy black without pinstripes look of your bike. Nice!

Bob

Hi Bob,
yes, the fairing is anchored to the ears using U shaped attachments.

I have the same size headlight, with the ignition on the left ear.
There is plenty of room to reach for the key, no problem there.

The attachments coming with the fairing are too small/short, therefore I had to make new ones.

I used stock aluminum bars from hardware store- right side one inch wide as the original, but the left had to be one and a half inch wide to fit the ignition body, which is almost one inch wide- see the pic.

It needed some tinkering when bending the bars for correct angle.

I had to cut openings for blinker stems in the bottom corners- I took blinkers off for easier measurement and the correct placement, then reinstalled them.

I also added plastic edging to the shield for better finish look- used black door protectors from Auto Zone.

Since the fairing is attached with only two bolts it was vibrating at the top corners I added brackets from same bars.

Make sure the headlight is positioned in correct angle before tightening the bolt/nut on the ears- especially the big nut on the ignition is crucial- luckily there is long enough threading on it to add large washers between headlight/ear/bracket/fairing...

I hope it will help together with more pics.

Good luck,
Vlado

Attachments

• BMW R 100 fairing 004e.jpg
    BMW R 100 fairing 004e.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 147
  • BMW R 100 fairing 010e.jpg
    BMW R 100 fairing 010e.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 144
  • BMW R 100 fairing 023e.jpg
    BMW R 100 fairing 023e.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 145
few more pics

see the difference in the size and the angle between new and old attachments

Attachments

• BMW fairing 005e.jpg
    BMW fairing 005e.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 143
  • BMW fairing 006e.jpg
    BMW fairing 006e.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 147
  • BMW R 100 fairing 024e.jpg
    BMW R 100 fairing 024e.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 143
Hi Bob,

one more thing- the fairing is slightly wider at the bottom where you will cut the openings for blinkers- it is necessary to squeeze it a little to fit between blinkers.
If the cuts are positioned correctly and are the same size as the dimples on black plastic blinker's shells where it goes over into metal stem it will help to hold the whole fairing tightly together, kind of substituting for additional attachments like some another fairings have.

I also replaced black lentil head screws with new stainless ones and countersink them into the shield for flush fit. Just be careful when drilling into plexiglass.

I am going to take some more detailed pics right now and post it for you in a few.

Vlado

Here are pics...

if you need more, just ask

good luck ,

Vlado

Attachments

• BMW fairing 008e.jpg
    BMW fairing 008e.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 126
  • BMW fairing 011e.jpg
    BMW fairing 011e.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 122
  • BMW fairing 012e.jpg
    BMW fairing 012e.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 123
How did you attach it? Their hardware or did you make something?

They provide "universal fittings" - or at least they did when I got mine. One bracket, I attached to the headlight "ears" on the upper fork - one on each side. I drilled a hole in each ear to make the attachment. The bottom got attached to a fitting they provided which was mounted to the fork tubes. It is actually quite stable.

If needed, I can take a couple of photos and add them to this thread or send directly to you. Here's one - let me know if you want a glamour shot.

R100Fairing.jpg

Whoops! I attached photo of my R100 with a different Rifle fairing. The other, smaller, fairing was also attached using the supplied fasteners. But I attached them to the "S" brackets that were already on the bike. Recently one of the fasteners broke and I made a new bracket from some flat metal piece from the hardware store. That piece got attached to the "ear" on the fork.

Hi Bob,

I had same dilemma few weeks ago, when I acquired my '77 R100/7.
Original BMW S fairing looked too pricey to me, so I started my research first on eBay and then from ads in Cafe' Racer Magazine.
I found the same seller offering quarter fairing for under $90.- shipped, only the problem was it said for headlamps 7" or less- mine being larger, over 8".
After looking at his pics I had hunch the opening is large enough to work on my bike- hence, price low enough to play with it if necessary to enlarge it by grinding...
When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised- the size of opening was just perfect!
But it was necessary to make new, larger/longer side attachments- used stock aluminum 1" and 1 and 1/2" bars from hardware store- and to drill/carve openings on both sides of the bottom of fairing to fit around blinker's stems.
I am very pleased with the final result, fairing looks very authentic and helps a lot at highway speeds.
There were few more adjustments to do- I can provide details if interested, have many pics.
Look at eBay under BMW R100 Cafe Windshield.-View attachment 43077View attachment 43078View attachment 43079
The finish is gloss black in the mold and by good luck matched my black finish perfectly.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Vlado

Vlado, that looks great. Do you have any pictures of the mounts?

Back