• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Off Road Training Class

Travman

I'm considering a training class this Spring to learn some off road skills on a GSA. Since I'm in the Southeast, the two I'm considering are the BMW Performance Center and MotoMark1. Both in the Carolina's. Anyone have suggestions or opinions on either.

My intent is to pick up some basic skills and get comfortable with the big bike off road. Also, off roading to me means fire roads and gravel roads. I have no delusions of back woods or single track riding on the GSA.

My intent is to pick up some basic skills and get comfortable with the big bike off road. Also, off roading to me means fire roads and gravel roads. I have no delusions of back woods or single track riding on the GSA.

Hey Tom -

The BMW PC course will expose you to a wider variety of riding conditions and you can take the training on their bikes.

The MotoMark course is more about gravel roads, water crossings... the usual things found on a forest service road ride. You ride your own bike or you can rent from them.

If all you plan to ride is gravel roads, three tanks of gas in your bike will be all the training you need.... IMO! :ha :1drink

Seriously, you can find some fairly challenging conditions even on a forest service road. Deep wheel ruts with standing water and mud, erosion damage, large rock gardens, sand, freshly-laid gravel, steep drop-offs... are all things that will increase pucker factor... and worth learning a little about riding over/through.

To me, the BMW Performance Center offers a better training ground, full of custom-built features that challenge you as much as you want to be challenged... or not. Add-in a lack of fear of dropping and scratching your shiny new adventure bike and I think it's your better option.

If you want to discuss at further length, feel free to give me a call.

Ian

Thanks, Ian and I'm leaning in that direction. I put a post on our local board to see if anyone was interested in their 2for1 deal through Feb. We'll see if anyone is up for it. Still have a 3 month or so wait left for the GSA to come in so I have plenty of time to schedule any training.

I've done the BMW Performance Riding School off road course on one of their GSA's and highly recommend it. Great facilities, instructors and first class training. At the end of the day my forearms were smoked (and I consider myself in pretty decent shape!) so be prepared. I recently spoke to one of their reps on the phone (Josh) who indicated that they may have a two for one deal (bring a friend and split the price) in the near future so worth checking before you register. As suggested I would pay the nominal extra and use one of their bikes because you will drop it at least once during the day!

Thanks for the input. Just signed up for the BMW 2-day class with someone to take advantage of the 2for1 offer. We'll both be using their GSA's for the course and point taken on the physical nature of the course. Since I'm already training for a half-marathon next month, that should help.

I've done the BMW Performance Riding School off road course on one of their GSA's and highly recommend it. Great facilities, instructors and first class training. At the end of the day my forearms were smoked (and I consider myself in pretty decent shape!) so be prepared. I recently spoke to one of their reps on the phone (Josh) who indicated that they may have a two for one deal (bring a friend and split the price) in the near future so worth checking before you register. As suggested I would pay the nominal extra and use one of their bikes because you will drop it at least once during the day!

Drop it once? Everyone in our class dropped it multiple times per day. It was a very wet, red clay course and "slippery as as snot" as the instructors said.

That said, it was awesome and I highly recommend the course!

Also, off roading to me means fire roads and gravel roads. I have no delusions of back woods or single track riding on the GSA.

So, you are planning to go off pavement.

Here's a good place to start. Master these basics and you should be good to go.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Re2A9UJzSBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks to Rawhyde for making it available!

Here is a recent satellite photo of my yard, This is where I practice many of the techniques shown in the video.

i-N89JTzf-L.jpg

Thanks for the input. Just signed up for the BMW 2-day class with someone to take advantage of the 2for1 offer. We'll both be using their GSA's for the course and point taken on the physical nature of the course. Since I'm already training for a half-marathon next month, that should help.

Awesome & good luck with the half marathon. You will be standing up on the pegs for 95% of the riding so remember to work on your core conditioning (along with your forearm/grip strength).

So, you are planning to go off pavement.

Here's a good place to start. Master these basics and you should be good to go.

Thanks to Rawhyde for making it available!

I have watched that video, twice, and it was very informative. I used to have a V-Strom but rarely went off road and had one 30 mile gravel road ride in the mountains that was a white knuckle experience because I had no idea what I was doing. In the last few years, I've had my RT on more dirt and gravel than I ever did with the V-Strom (go figure) and have enjoyed it. Now that I have a GSA on order, I want to build the skills to handle the bike off pavement.

Reid,
Looks like you've been practicing. I don't see the Margarita stand from up above. HaHa. Hope to see you and the other Fluffies in Minnesota.
Jim

Momentary thread hijack

Reid,
Looks like you've been practicing. I don't see the Margarita stand from up above. HaHa. Hope to see you and the other Fluffies in Minnesota.
Jim

Hi Jim - Not sure I will make it to the rally...I expect there will be a Turbo Fluffy Margarita stand. :nod

i-pbQgGkR-L.jpg

MSF ADVENTURE & DUAL SPORT DIRT BIKE SCHOOL

Adults, Ages 6 Yrs and Over Classes are for Beginners and advanced riders
Alain Kaldewaay will host an MSF Adventure Dirt Bike School on
For info Go To http:// www.xplor-int.com or call 610-470-8897

MSF ADVENTURE DUAL SPORT DIRT BIKE SCHOOL

Adults, Ages 6 Yrs and Over Classes are for Beginners
Alain Kaldewaay will host an MSF Adventure Dirt Bike School on
Semi private lessons Jun 29th, July 6th, July 20th Aug 3rd, Aug 17th 2014 Dirt Bike Training
Semi private lessons Aug 23-24 and Sept 27-28 2014
Western Maryland Adventure Bike Training

Sept 13-14 2014 Western Pennsylvania Adventure Bike Training

For info Go To http:// www.xplor-int.com or call 610-470-8897

http://www.xplor-int.com/Documents/Xplor.pdf please complete and return via e-mail thank you

Pssor

I took the Puget Sound Off Road class at the Touratech rally in 2014. For a 1/2 day class, it was a good way to learn the basics. Taking the class at the rally gave me two things: The class gave me a foundation of knowledge and some confidence to take on the guided group rides that afternoon. The group rides at the rally gave me a place to immediately put what I learned to use and practice it in a real-world setting. Any chance you get to take a class, I highly recommend a setting that combines training with a guided ride as a follow-up. It really helps solidify what you learn in class.

I'm considering a training class this Spring to learn some off road skills on a GSA. Since I'm in the Southeast, the two I'm considering are the BMW Performance Center and MotoMark1. Both in the Carolina's. Anyone have suggestions or opinions on either.

I attended the class in Greer, SC last year and highly recommend the two day course ’on their bikes.'

BMW Performance Class is OUTSTANDING

Took the two-day off-road riding class at the BMW Training center by the plant in Greer in November. What a fantastic time. The rain that has fallen so heavily on the Southeastern US created quite the water crossings, mud bogs and amazing rut riding. The instructors, Russ, Greg, and Roy are outstanding in both skill and teaching ability. I went with a group scheduled through our dealership; Grand Rapids BMW MC (thanks Blaine) which helped some on the cost. I've never had such a good time getting the @#$%^ beat out of me. Challenge by Choice means do it if you dare, and skip it if you're not up to the risk. I took one pass. Everything is discussed and demonstrated before the students take a turn. Usually there is a step-by-step approach if the technique is complicated. I drop my GS1200 fairly often without anything to cry about, but I've never dropped the bike so many times in such a short time. They say, "If you're not dropping the bike, you aren't trying hard enough. We rode through places I wasn't sure I could walk.

Since returning home, I've tried to use the skills we were shown and can really tell how much better I can ride off pavement. Running the snowmobile trails this fall has been a blast and feeling the bike sashay through the deep sand without losing it is a super high. We've finally gotten enough snow that it may be time to put the cover on "Karl" and give him a breather 'til spring, but if I get one more chance to run a forest road or two tracker, you can bet I'll be keeping my eyes up and my weight on the pegs.

Contact Info For SC BMW Training Center?

I keep finding the info for a training complex for the 4 wheeled BMWs. Not so lucky finding the motorcycle side.

Thanks!

I keep finding the info for a training complex for the 4 wheeled BMWs. Not so lucky finding the motorcycle side.

Thanks!

You probably found this link:http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/PDS/.
When it finally loads, there is a button for "Explore the Programs", which has a motorcycle option that leads to http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/PDS/#motorcycle.
There is also "Official" BMW off-road training in Colorado and California, presented by RawHyde Adventures. I have no idea if the training is the same.

Based on the web sites alone, the RawHyde training looks more attractive. The BMW site has minimal info and directs you to call for details and scheduling - really needs updating.

Last edited:
A fall class

Bill Conger, original head instructor at the BMW Performance Center, Dakar Racer and trains US Special Forces on both 2 and 4 wheels, is now on his own giving classes. This past spring he had his 5th class this spring on some property I own in SE Kansas. Here is a link to that class: http://www.motorsportreg.com/events...oundatio-l1-mcliney-ranch-745375#.V1hNl75rPf3

We are talking about having another class this fall. If interested I would recommend contacting him and telling him you would be interested in attending his class. bill.conger@att.net

Back