• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ramblings, regrets, and a thank you from Mike in Lima

Mike_In_Lima

Yeah, it was hot.
Been reading the various threads that have heat as a central theme/complaint, and I sympathize. Of course, this was unusually high heat even for Ohio; no way to plan ahead for that, of course.
Still, it made for a different event, no doubt. It will, of course, turn nice and cooler, now that everyone has left.
Anyway, thanks for coming to my hometown. I got to enjoy precious little of the Rally, due to work, and the fact that when I was on-site I was generally tending to matters concerning entertainment/stage/etc. I was out there every day, often 2-3 times during the day, and did spend considerable hours but mostly in the stage area.
I did peruse it enough to catch the drift of it; loads of neat bikes, good vendors, cool displays, and best of all lots and lots of nice and interesting people. Great crowd.
Sue and Brian worked their arses off, as did Phil, the stage manager, and his crew. Their day for Thorogood started with hard labor at 8 a.m., had hard labor and heat throughout the whole day, and ended with hard labor late in the evening. One long day, and he and his guys were great.
I had hoped to run into a few that I've "met" on the forum, but didn't.
I also wanted to meet BradfordBenn; Sunday I dropped by the site around noon just to see what the state of affairs was. Empty, almost. Ran into Brian and Sue who were STILL busy. Left the grounds and as I was turning left towards Sams Club, THERE WAS A RIDER IN THE ONCOMING TURN LANE, WITH EARS ON HIS HELMET!!! I pointed and waved and said his name name, and he just kinda looked at me! (Hint for you, Bradford; I was driving a Nissan pickup with dealer tags................)
It appeared that folks liked the lineup of regional bands in the Tap; the heat was hard on the bands, too, but people seemed to be having fun and dancing their butts off. Any feedback on Biersdorf and Kolbe,the acoustic blues duo on Saturday afternoon?
Thursday right before the storm I was going to inflate my giant outdoor movie screen in the main stage area and show a drive/walk-in movie. (Some of you may have heard the rumor).
By the time the storm passed it was too late to start the 1.5 hour setup, and the field was pretty soaked. Movies were to include Looney Tunes (and the RoadRunner!), an IMAX CART movie, and the original Blues Brothers movie. Oh well................
Neat event, anyway, and the usual carping and bitching (some of it legit) doesn't detract from a monumental effort and a good rally. Thanks again to all who attended. Maybe I'll see you in Vermont; my buddy lives there.
p.s. It can get hot as hell in VT too!

Last edited:
Mike_In_Lima said:
Left the grounds and as I was turning left towards Sams Club, THERE WAS A RIDER IN THE ONCOMING TURN LANE, WITH EARS ON HIS HELMET!!! I pointed and waved and said his name name, and he just kinda looked at me! (Hint for you, Bradford; I was driving a Nissan pickup with dealer tags................)

That was you? Now I know. I did look and wave, but didn't know who it was.
:thumb

Mike,
Thanks for the tip about the Thai Garden restaurant.. it was outstanding!
:thumb :thumb

Congrats Mike!

From a fellow Lima Bean, may I say you did an outstanding job in lining up the local talent for the Beer Garden. You rock Mike! Liked every band and helped close down the Garden several times. I got feedback from several people who knew I was a local and all were complimentary of your work.
Talked with the local food vendors and they were more than happy with the politeness of the attendees and the turnout for their wares. Told me thank everyone tremendously. "Never have they met a more polite and patient group of people even counting our local fair goers." So all in all, I guess all our hard work was not for naught. Once again " Well Done"

P.S. The Gentleman who played the electric guitar with his tongue was a huge hit with the female gender! nuff said.

BradfordBenn said:
So what is in the racks?

"FOH" is a new DJ mixer, Fuhrman power conditioner, two new Sony players, etc; amp rack is a QSC PLX1602 and 2402 and an old JBL amp for backup. Projector is a large venue Sanyo-built 5800 lumen dual lamp model.
Speakers in this photo are a JBL 4648 dual 15 LF, and two JBL4560's loaded with 2226H 15's and 2426H's on 2370A horns. Nice long throw boxes, the 4560's are. I can also do four big three way JBL Cinema cabs, or some smaller JBL two-ways on tripods, with a sub.
I'm doing a big car cruise-in this Saturday in Detroit (at a huge Harley store!), first big job with it; should be fun. I also just got a digital FM transmitter and big antenna to broadcast to the cars that night. Movie is "Grease" predictably enough. I don't think I have ever even seen it.

Ol'Salt said:
So all in all, I guess all our hard work was not for naught. Once again " Well Done"

Thanks Howard; you did yeomans duty, too! As for the bands, that weren't really all that local, in most cases. Only 3 Stools. The others are more like "regional talent" and are strong enough acts to hold their own (within the price range) in a larger venue. Did you hear Mitchhart open for George? Good act.

A tip of the hat to both of you gentleman. Local contacts are essential to making a big gig successful.

Did any of ya'll hear Biersdorf and Kolbe, the acoustic blues duo, in the Tap on Saturday early afternoon? If so, how did they go over?

Giving Credit where credit is DUE

This is from BRIAN. :)

Just a note to say that, even though I was listed as entertainment chair, it was Mike Baker --- LOCK, STOCK, and BARREL.

There was no way that Sue and I could have had this quality of entertainment (with the right sound and light crews to boot) without Mike's help and input.

Mike - the next time we meet, the beer is on us! Thank you again. You were AWESOME.

(Oh - and I agree - Stacy Mitchart was tremendous!)

Biersdorf and Kolbe

Since the question has been asked twice, and remains unanswered; I would like to jump in here and say that they were Excellent! I am quite a Blues affectionado, and really loved listening to the two gentleman play. Of course, the 'theater' that they were playing in was not noted for it's accustics; but i had a blast!

scott from Somers, NY

Good to hear that the duo was enjoyed; they can really set the mood in the right setting! Good fun down to-earth-stuff, they do!

Soundtrack for the Rally

Thanks Mike, Sue , Howard et al. for providing a positive, varied and memorable soundtrack for the Rally. From George to Stacy to the Polka guys and yes the Human Beans, it was all good.
It's all stored away in my musical cortex archive ready for replay whenever I think of Lima 05.
Thanks, you guys are the best! :clap

Funny about the heat. Many people kept saying to me that "being from Texas, this must feel just about right to you." Even if that were true, I still don't generally spend 96 straight hours out in that heat! :D
But the heat did not keep me from having a really great time. Thanks ALL OF YOU!

The Veg said:
Funny about the heat. Many people kept saying to me that "being from Texas, this must feel just about right to you." Even if that were true, I still don't generally spend 96 straight hours out in that heat! :D
But the heat did not keep me from having a really great time. Thanks ALL OF YOU!
You da man!

Back