• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Odd Battery problem - does a get off affect the brain?

My R1200R would occasionally just barely start with the original battery. Had the dealer check it twice. First time they said tested fine, but was low on charge. Made no sense since I ride 100 to 150 miles a week. The second time it tested the same but they decided to replace it anyway under warranty. They did find one lug was a tiny bit loose which could explain the low charge, but I doubt it. They replacement battery has worked just fine for 2.5 years.

The R1200s strain the little batteries they use, and some batteries are just better than others.

Battery issue

I've been boating up the inside passage for 25 yrs. Now I'm shore based on my GS or RT. As such I rely on batteries and found that batteries do go bad. They charge fine but drain quickly with even a little load. Like any manufactured product there are a few bad ones. After reading this thread I'm convinced it's a battery issue. Unless you've tinkered too much with your wiring, or have submerged your bike then it could be a separate issue. Remember electronics require good stable voltages.

Still crazy

O.K., since my first post I'm still getting weirdness.
The same slow turnover intermittently.

Since I've semi-decided to sell the bike (for financial reasons only) I've completely put the bike back to stock.I pulled all my farkle wiring out, and it's totally OEM.
Even with all the electronics gone and the new battery which is on the OPTIMATE 4 charger all the time, this slow turnover comes and goes for no particular reason, engine hot or cold.

I took it to the dealer and had the codes read. It did show that at one time it had "Horn malfunction - open circuit" and "Low battery etc".
Well all that's gone. Back to the stock horn, and the battery is tested and at full amperage.

I haven't pulled the starter (yet) but I haven't read any threads concerning bad starters on these bikes.

This is some odd and freeky shizza... :ear

Back