• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"GS-911 WiFi" beta testing has started!

dmftoy1

Just in time for Christmas I received a package from South Africa and a beta tester role on Hexcode's new product!! :)
eqepe8u9.jpg

I haven't had a chance to test it on the bike yet but initial impressions are that it's a really slick product. Took me all of 5 minutes to connect the device to my iPhone, iPad and Internet. (Also has standalone wifi mode)

Really excited to get out and play with it on the bike.

Have a good one,
Dave

Good news, I'm sure everyone is looking forward to your report :deal
As a number of members are or will be interested in this, I'll move it to gear.
Gary

Just in time for Christmas I received a package from South Africa and a beta tester role on Hexcode's new product!! :)
eqepe8u9.jpg

I haven't had a chance to test it on the bike yet but initial impressions are that it's a really slick product. Took me all of 5 minutes to connect the device to my iPhone, iPad and Internet. (Also has standalone wifi mode)

Really excited to get out and play with it on the bike.

Have a good one,
Dave

Just so I have this right..hex code are going to release a product for the IOS operating system?
If so that is great news and where and when do I get it??
Regards
Paul

Lol - I've no clue what the schedule is but they're giving us testing assignments.

From what I can see of the initial assignments looks to support everything it used to via USB (PC, etc) and also works with iPhone, iPad, Mac, android, etc. I'm going to be doing majority of my testing using iPhone / iPad

Really looking forward to not paying for service indicator resets. :)

Just so I have this right..hex code are going to release a product for the IOS operating system?
If so that is great news and where and when do I get it??

The app store. Search GS-911. The app is there there, but I don't think it will do you any good without the new device. Alas, I didn't get to play today because FedEx says that the device is on a delivery truck that has yet to make it to my house. :cry This is after moving the scheduled delivery time from 9:30 this morning to 10:30 this morning. I was so looking to play, today.

The app store. Search GS-911. The app is there there, but I don't think it will do you any good without the new device. Alas, I didn't get to play today because FedEx says that the device is on a delivery truck that has yet to make it to my house. :cry This is after moving the scheduled delivery time from 9:30 this morning to 10:30 this morning. I was so looking to play, today.
Appreciate if you keep me posted
Regards

I am also extremely interested in the iOS option and did attend one of the sessions at this year's rally put on by Hex Code. I also pressed the point strongly this would be a very important thing them to do - especially for the North American market that has more iOS devices as a percentage of the market than any other continent in the world. They did strongly stress they would not spend development funding on backward compatibility for the current models. Since I have invested in a GS-911 three years ago this is disappointing but understandable. I am glad we have a member as a part of the technical/Beta trial since the customer/developer feedback loop is the best way to get good software to become great.

DEFINATELY works with iOS. Spent this morning playing with my bike and it's really simple to use.

I'll continue to report as the beta goes on but bear in mind that this is very early in the beta cycle and as they release incremental updates to the software and firmware they'll be asking us to test more and more features. (As an example today's assignment revolve around ease of setting up wifi, connecting to internet, etc. on the bike side we're testing service interval resets and other assorted goodies!!

Here's a teaser of the engine instrumentation. (To get it on one page w/o scrolling for screen capture I'm only showing less than 1/2 of what's currently available - this iPad flavor of app)

upyzyjeb.jpg

DEFINATELY works with iOS. Spent this morning playing with my bike and it's really simple to use.]

Dave, thanks for that - can you confirm if BlackBerry is still supported? Assume Android devices will be on the supported list as well?

Thanks, Ken.

Dave, thanks for that - can you confirm if BlackBerry is still supported? Assume Android devices will be on the supported list as well?

Thanks, Ken.

I am beta testing with the Android phone and tablet as well as Windows 7 64 bit. All of this works with the GS-911 Wi-Fi tester. The new tester will work with most platforms as long as they are networked and/or have Wi-Fi with a browser.

Exhaust Flap Position: 0%

Does anyone know what this means?

This is the position of the exhaust valve located after the catalytic converter that is controlled by the engine management module. My 2011 RT had this device. The new GSW and K1600 bikes have it as well. This valve controls back pressure and sound of the exhaust system.The range of opening is measured in percentage.

Thanks, Ken.

Does your device have a web browser and a way to connect to a wifi network? If so it is supported. You do not need the GS-911wifi app. You can open a web browser window and enter the address of the GS-911wifi into the address bar. That's all you need to connect.

In this image I'm connected using the Safari browser on an iPad. No special software. The address of the GS-911wifi on my network is shown on the address bar.

p-133561537-0001-L.jpg

If I were in the field I would do this:

1) plug the GS-911wifi into the bike and put it in Device-to-Device (D2D) mode
2) set my phone's wireless network to the GS911 network advertised by the GS-911wifi device.
3) open a web browser window and type in the address 10.0.0.1

No special software needed. No network connectivity needed. Neat! :clap

Only the guys at Hexcode really have any idea when this will go on sale. I can say a lot of work is needed before they are ready. This is an extremely complicated task taking many man-hours to develop. I would say it's being done right with a structured beta test program involving a diverse group of testers.

I know Ted Porter's in Scotts Valley, CA has them for sale, the old units, I suppose.
And there may now be other dealers in the USA.
I got mine about 5, well, now almost 6 years ago? And I never had any need for a wifi aspect to it.
And, I never once paid for a service reminder reset, and I also did any number of them for others at no charge.
Anyway, not everyone needs one of these. If there is one in your riding circle of friends, in your local club, or just a friend or acquaintance you should be able to get free service reminder resets and diagnosis.
They are worth the price.
Just do not consider buying a bootleg or pirated version.
Get the real device from the guys who developed the unit for the BMW rider community.
dc

A group did a bunch of testing in Dec and reported results, wishes, and other comments to Hexcode. Hexcode said they are busy working on the product. I'm guessing when they have something else for the testers to test they'll let us know.

Back