Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "GS-911 WiFi" beta testing has started!

Hybrid View

"GS-911 WiFi" beta testing has started!

Just in time for Christmas I received a package from South Africa and a beta tester role on Hexcode's new product!!

I haven't had a chance to test it on the bike yet but initial impressions are that it's a really slick product. Took me all of 5 minutes to connect the device to my iPhone, iPad and Internet. (Also has standalone wifi mode)

Really excited to get out and play with it on the bike.

Have a good one,
    Dave

Good news, I'm sure everyone is looking forward to your report
    As a number of members are or will be interested in this, I'll move it to gear.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    oooooohoooooh!
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    Just in time for Christmas I received a package from South Africa and a beta tester role on Hexcode's new product!!

I haven't had a chance to test it on the bike yet but initial impressions are that it's a really slick product. Took me all of 5 minutes to connect the device to my iPhone, iPad and Internet. (Also has standalone wifi mode)

Really excited to get out and play with it on the bike.

Have a good one,
    Dave
    Just so I have this right..hex code are going to release a product for the IOS operating system?
    If so that is great news and where and when do I get it??
    Regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
    Just so I have this right..hex code are going to release a product for the IOS operating system?
    If so that is great news and where and when do I get it??
    The app store. Search GS-911. The app is there there, but I don't think it will do you any good without the new device. Alas, I didn't get to play today because FedEx says that the device is on a delivery truck that has yet to make it to my house. This is after moving the scheduled delivery time from 9:30 this morning to 10:30 this morning. I was so looking to play, today.

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    The app store. Search GS-911. The app is there there, but I don't think it will do you any good without the new device. Alas, I didn't get to play today because FedEx says that the device is on a delivery truck that has yet to make it to my house. This is after moving the scheduled delivery time from 9:30 this morning to 10:30 this morning. I was so looking to play, today.
    Appreciate if you keep me posted
    Regards
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

I am also extremely interested in the iOS option and did attend one of the sessions at this year's rally put on by Hex Code. I also pressed the point strongly this would be a very important thing them to do - especially for the North American market that has more iOS devices as a percentage of the market than any other continent in the world. They did strongly stress they would not spend development funding on backward compatibility for the current models. Since I have invested in a GS-911 three years ago this is disappointing but understandable. I am glad we have a member as a part of the technical/Beta trial since the customer/developer feedback loop is the best way to get good software to become great.
    Ken

Lol - I've no clue what the schedule is but they're giving us testing assignments.

From what I can see of the initial assignments looks to support everything it used to via USB (PC, etc) and also works with iPhone, iPad, Mac, android, etc. I'm going to be doing majority of my testing using iPhone / iPad

Really looking forward to not paying for service indicator resets.

DEFINATELY works with iOS. Spent this morning playing with my bike and it's really simple to use.

I'll continue to report as the beta goes on but bear in mind that this is very early in the beta cycle and as they release incremental updates to the software and firmware they'll be asking us to test more and more features. (As an example today's assignment revolve around ease of setting up wifi, connecting to internet, etc. on the bike side we're testing service interval resets and other assorted goodies!!

Here's a teaser of the engine instrumentation. (To get it on one page w/o scrolling for screen capture I'm only showing less than 1/2 of what's currently available - this iPad flavor of app)

Quote Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
    DEFINATELY works with iOS. Spent this morning playing with my bike and it's really simple to use.]
    Dave, thanks for that - can you confirm if BlackBerry is still supported? Assume Android devices will be on the supported list as well?

Thanks, Ken.
    Ken

Exhaust Flap Position: 0%

Does anyone know what this means?
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Exhaust Flap Position: 0%

Does anyone know what this means?
    This is the position of the exhaust valve located after the catalytic converter that is controlled by the engine management module. My 2011 RT had this device. The new GSW and K1600 bikes have it as well. This valve controls back pressure and sound of the exhaust system.The range of opening is measured in percentage.
    2014 R1200 GSA W

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Dave, thanks for that - can you confirm if BlackBerry is still supported? Assume Android devices will be on the supported list as well?

Thanks, Ken.
    I am beta testing with the Android phone and tablet as well as Windows 7 64 bit. All of this works with the GS-911 Wi-Fi tester. The new tester will work with most platforms as long as they are networked and/or have Wi-Fi with a browser.
    2014 R1200 GSA W

Riding is the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post

Thanks, Ken.
    Does your device have a web browser and a way to connect to a wifi network? If so it is supported. You do not need the GS-911wifi app. You can open a web browser window and enter the address of the GS-911wifi into the address bar. That's all you need to connect.

In this image I'm connected using the Safari browser on an iPad. No special software. The address of the GS-911wifi on my network is shown on the address bar.

If I were in the field I would do this:

1) plug the GS-911wifi into the bike and put it in Device-to-Device (D2D) mode
    2) set my phone's wireless network to the GS911 network advertised by the GS-911wifi device.
    3) open a web browser window and type in the address 10.0.0.1

No special software needed. No network connectivity needed. Neat!

Very Cool
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Type M for Moderator
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200