• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery powered heating clothing?

The Gerbing that I plug into the bike and ATV can be run with the accessory battery pack that they sell and should work fine. The length of time you get out of it you would need to experiment with as the warmer you want it the bigger drain on the battery.
OM

My wife has a pair of Gerbing Hybrid gloves, along with two sets of batteries. While they do not get as hot when using them with batteries as they do plugged directly to the bike, they do indeed work. After running out of charge while riding a friend's bike, which lacked direct wiring, we purchased the extra set of batteries.

My wife has a Mobile Warming vest. I've used it on the bike and it puts out a good amount of heat. Was too warm actually under a Tourmaster Transition 2 with its liner. I turned it off at 50 degrees and I was still too warm. Had to open jacket vents and unzip the front a bit. Not made for day long rides nor for someone who tours during winter. Perfect for a winter commuter. Wired liners are a PITA. I just bought Gerbing and while warmer still than MW vest, I hated running the wires and plugging/unplugging.

I have a Gerbings jacket liner and a Mobile warming jacket. I bought the Mobile Warming jacket after I got the Gerbings because I liked the idea of not being "wired to the bike" like with the Gerbings.
The Mobile Warming jacket does not have wiring in the sleeves, so I should have saved some money and gotten the vest. Also, the rechargeable standard battery that comes with the jacket will only operate at 100%
power for about 3 hours. At the minimum power setting of 25 %, I think it's good for about 10 hours. Depending on the amount of wind protection the bike you are riding provides and how cold tolerant you
are, this liner might not last you for more than 3 or 4 hours, which is okay for commuter riding. I have found that for me the minimum power setting requirement is 50 % which seems to be good for about 5 hours.

I found that the Gerbings liner worked better overall and now I rarely use the Mobile Warming jacket liner. To me the Mobile Warming jacket would be great for any outdoor sporting event in cold weather where
3-4 hours of heat would be all that is needed.

Got a pair of Gerbing battery powered gloves. Not suitable for m/c riding (do not get hot enough for long enough to last thru any but the briefest ride), but they work great for about an hour on the snow plow!

I don't think a non-bike source battery pack would work for me at all. To town and back is over a two hour ride. When we travel it is usually a day-long ride with gas stops about three hours apart.

Being "hooked up" isn't much of a bother when I ride this way. In town, store to store, the speeds are generally low enough and stops frequent enough I just don't plug in.

I use either my Gerbings or WarmNSafe mostly on cold/cool mornings when traveling. At home I normally wait till it warms up.

I have a warm n safe jacket, gloves & dual controller that plugs into the accessory port. Works great & plugging in or unplugging is no big deal.

I ventured into the battery powered world this winter fir skiing, with a pair of gloves. The 12v option is impracticable for that activity. Yes for skiing they are fine, but NO where near as much heat as a set of Gerbings gloves, and limited battery life, might make them suitable for short rides in moderate temps, but throw in rain, or sub 45 temps, and I think they would not keep my fingers warm.

I like my mobile warming jacket. As to the battery life, I bought an extra battery.

Questions: How long does a battery last before it needs to be recharged? Can the extra battery be charged on the bike while riding so on long day you can swap/charge batteries while going down the road?

I just recently read on the Warm&Safe site that they have a new heated shirt. If I read it right you can use either the battery it comes with or plug it into the bike. Being able to use either power source as the situation warrants sounds pretty good.

Someone buy one and give us a report on it :)

heated gear is a good choice this year

The weather continues to be cool in Michigan. I have a powerlet rapidfire liner with a dual remote control. (on sale at revzilla) Add hot hands and hot toes and it makes cool days enjoyable.

Heated grips are quite nice as well.

Questions: How long does a battery last before it needs to be recharged? Can the extra battery be charged on the bike while riding so on long day you can swap/charge batteries while going down the road?

I have only used it on low for 3 hours, when I got homeand put it on the charger it was at 75%. Don't know about switching batteries while riding.

Back