• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to me 99' RT gives out.....help

Whatever it is, it shouldn't be a big deal to fix. Could be a number of things. The cable system didn't have to be removed for the job but it does get shoved around a lot, so it's pretty likely that it is related to the repair. Since it worked well for you on the way home, it probably passed the mechanic's test ride OK also.

Here, there would be no charge for that repair and I'd find a way to be extra nice to you just for having gone through it.

Yep, stuff happens to the best righty tighty, lefty loosees. Give 'em a chance.

I am back with more tales about the bike from hell.......

Well, I finally got the bike back to my mechanic and he goes through the bike and finds that the left throttle body won't adjust properly. He can get the right one to sync nicely but the left is kaput!

Oh I forgot to mention that the erratic idle did go away for a bit, then would come back and the reason I was finally taking it back in was because.....drum roll.......the rear brake went out. I check it out and find a little weeping around the banjo connection on one of the rear hoses so I ride the bike over, very carefully and ask him to fix the leak. So I order up a set of Spieglers and have them mailed to the shop and I tell him to see if he can find the root of the bad idle and now rough throttle response.

Ok back to the throttle body....since it is the left one not only do you need the TB at about 585 bucks from the dealer you also need the TPS 200 plus bucks.....yikes! So I go looking at the boneyard and other such places, ebay, etc., and find nothing but crap. So I say to myself, Self, screw this just get a new one. So I locate the Bing distributor in Council Grove, Kansas and they just happen to have a brand new one that matches up to my bike. Keep in mind that you can't match up just to the BMW part number they have to know the number Bing stamped into my throttle body.....111 for the left and 112 for the right in case you were wondering.

So I give them my trusty credit card number and it is winging its way to my mechanic all for the discount price of 400 bucks inclusive of the TPS. Kind of a backwards world when instead of thinking I was screwed I was thinking how blessed I was to get the TB and TPS for only 400 dollars......sheesh.

So after another 225 for brake lines, 400 for a TB and TPS, plus labor at 295 bucks, ( labor included a valve adjustment too), I am into this bike for another 900 bucks or so. Counting the tranny work and clutch I am probably 2500 bucks more into this bike than the bargain purchase price of 3000. So now I have a 5500 bike that better last me till I am old and retired or it is going to the crusher!

See not all that ends well, or is it the other way around......somehow I feel I will back with more tales of this bike. I must have been a very bad bad man in one of my other lives.

Oh by the way what is this switch for? I a can't seem to figure out what it operates.Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 52
Yellow one is headlight/parking/ off

Honestly I never even thought to look at the headlight when messing with the switch. I assumed that the headlight was always on, but I guess it being a 15 year old bike it probably does not have that auto daylight running lamp mode, thanks. The bike has been laid up so long I am just getting familiar with it again.

The headlight switch was not original to US models but it can be added. Police bikes had them although they were wired for other things, many of our bikes have them also.

The throttle bodies can often be rebuilt. Bing sells a kit for that; I've rebuilt several. And I am under the impression that the left TB is always sold with the TPS, although you can simply re-use your existing TPS.

I thought about just getting the kit and having my mechanic rebuild the TB but I have been waiting so long to get this bike up and running I took the quickest route possible. I have now been riding it all for two or three day now and it is all that I thought it should have been on the first day I got it.....hopefully no more events.

Back