• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires for 2013 R1200RT?

Generally you can mix brands but there is a chance you might alter handling in a few cases- though not to a dangerous level if the tire type and size is correct.

For example, some tires (eg Michelin PRs) have a more rounded profile and therefore more linear turn in than others (eg Dunlop RoadSmart) that a more "triangle" shape (I think Dunlop calls it cosecant curve or similar) which turn in faster once the turn is initiated. Bikes are generally fitted with the tire profile the manufacturer thinks works best. If you go from one to the other you may notice a difference (or not- I've gotten on bikes with tires so squared off that I had to hang off to make a normal street turn - thought there was a steering head problem until I looked at the tires- yet the owner noticed nothing until new tires were fitted).

The Metz Z is a good tire but if you tour you will end up preferring the Mich PR for longer life and better end of life warning. But there is enough variability in road surface and rider use that there are exceptions to anything about tires.

I can't stand Michelin tires. I have Continental Road Attack 2's on my ST now, and will probably go with Pirelli Angel's or Metzeler Z8's next.

Care to elaborate on what you don't like about Michelins?

My ST is my first sport touring style bike. I come from a sportbike background and Michelin never gave the same performance as Pirelli. I worry more about grip then longevity. I ride my 500 pound ST like a big sportbike and the tires show that. These Conti's were put on by the dealer and they are ok. I would like to go with Diablo Rosso's like I had on my aprilia's, but I was worried about the weight. I know people that do track days on Angels so I'll most likely go with those. I'm sure Michelin makes a decent tire, I just don't like them. Good for us we all have choices.

Just got my PR4 GT's

Just got a set of PR4 GT's. I went onto Revzilla late Wed evening debating between the Bridgestone BT023 and the PR3 (a lot more expensive). I saw they had the PR4 GT's in stock, for LESS than the PR3, so I ordered a set. The amazing part is I got them today, Friday, just after lunch. Wow, talk about fast! And that was with the free shipping. Couldn't believe it when I saw the UPS truck leaving the culdesac, but there they were on my front porch. :clap

Woohoo do they look nice. Unfortunately I'm headed up to the mountains and won't have a chance to have them mounted until later next week. Isn't that always how it works. If I were leaving on tour tomorrow they still wouldn't be here. lol.

I'm another fan of the PR3. Working on second set after 9k on the first.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

trumpetman

My ride is a R1200RT model year 13. I am having my 3rd set of tires, these will be PR4's, installed tomorrow. I have just put on slightly over 13500 on the bike. So, needless to say, I am not a happy camper with the Bridgestones that came with it or the Metzler Z8's put on in May of 2012. Now, the manual calls for I believe 36psi front and 38psi back. The dealer says 40. Correct me if I am wrong, but having installed tires on automobiles back in college, and yes I know bike tires are a different animal, if you over inflate a tire does it not cause the center bead of the tire to wear more quickly and underinflating causes the outer portion of the tire to wear more quickly?

Also, the service manager says BMW calls for valves to be checked every 6k? But, my manual says after 12k they should be checked every 12k! So, what is the deal? It appears to me they are just trying to "pay their mechanics.":clap

My ride is a R1200RT model year 13. I am having my 3rd set of tires, these will be PR4's, installed tomorrow. I have just put on slightly over 13500 on the bike. So, needless to say, I am not a happy camper with the Bridgestones that came with it or the Metzler Z8's put on in May of 2012. Now, the manual calls for I believe 36psi front and 38psi back. The dealer says 40. Correct me if I am wrong, but having installed tires on automobiles back in college, and yes I know bike tires are a different animal, if you over inflate a tire does it not cause the center bead of the tire to wear more quickly and underinflating causes the outer portion of the tire to wear more quickly?

Also, the service manager says BMW calls for valves to be checked every 6k? But, my manual says after 12k they should be checked every 12k! So, what is the deal? It appears to me they are just trying to "pay their mechanics.":clap

i run my PR3s with 36/42 just me...with Pillion 38/46.....as for the valves...i have been checking them every 6000 miles....and i have 16250+ miles...they are still in spec and will be checked again when i get back from Death Valley a week from sunday with over 18000 miles....i also change the oil/filter, tranny and final drive lubricants and check/adjust if necessary the TB sync....every 6000 miles....

just my 2? worth....

wyman

I run my front at 36 and my rear at 40-42, it feels better to me. I have checked the valves on my RT twice and they have yet to need adjustment. I believe your dealer is trying to rip you off.

Avon Tyres?

Has anyone tried Avon Tyres on their RT? I had a '99RT and switched to Avon's?What a difference!!! After the switch, my bike handled absolutely effortlessly. When time comes for new tires on my '13RT, I am going to give them another shot.

Has anyone tried Avon Tyres on their RT? I had a '99RT and switched to Avon's?What a difference!!! After the switch, my bike handled absolutely effortlessly. When time comes for new tires on my '13RT, I am going to give them another shot.

Are you still running the Bridgestone that came on the bike? They were ok until they wore out but the new PR3's really felt so much better. Because I was new to the RT I am not sure I can evaluate the Bridgestone's when new. It will be interesting to hear how you like the Avon's.

It seems the vast majority who have a lot more BMW experience than me choose the PR3's.

Pirelli Angel GT on 2011 RT

I've used PR3s since the OEM tires wore out. 57,000 km on the bike and I thought I'd try the Angel GTs. Only about 150 km on them and I'm convinced I made the right choice. No tendency to squirm like the PR3s. Time will tell on the mileage, but the bike handles better in twisties and big lean angles with the new GTs.

Now, some several hundred km on this rubber. I'm a convert.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a rare fan of the Metzeler Z8 on my 09 R1200RT. I have about 9k on the current set and the rear looks to have at least 2k left in it. Front has quite a bit left. I put them on before my trip to Salem, OR last summer. Plenty of abrasive pavement and heat on that trip too. I run 36f-42r pressure.

PR3's

My 23 month old 2012 R1200RT has about 1K left on the rear PR3 after about 11k so far on it. The bike has 53K on it and I have ran nothing but PR3's, consistently get about 12K on the rear and plenty more on the front although I usually change them out at the same time. I think I'll try the PR4 GT this time around. I need a tire sponsor, any volunteers?

I went through the original stock Metzler Z8's on my 1200RT in 9,000 miles. I replaced them with the P3's and I swore I was on a different bike before I even got out of the dealership. Beside all of the other improvements already noted in previous posts, the biggest improvement I found with the Michelins was turning maneuverability...like negotiating parking lots etc.

I like the P3 but they wear with 3 flats (45* 90* 45*) by five thousand miles. at that point they get very loud. I keep the pressure near 38/45lbs. They then drop into the corners like the bike has power steering.

Back