• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires for 2013 R1200RT?

xlarry

Larry
I found some 2 year old threads on tires but nothing recent. Are PR3's still the preferred tire for the RT?

I have 8,800 on the factory tires and the rear is cupping so may need to replace the tires soon.

Michelin just started selling the next generation: Pilot Road 4. I haven't figured out the differences yet, but they come in three versions (maybe like the "B" version for the rear tire in the PR3 line).

Here's a URL/link from RevZilla which gives some basic information:http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-tires

I didn't see much about price and availability.:dunno

Also, according to Michelin, the GT version of the Pilot Road 4 is going to be standard or OEM equipment on the liquid-cooled 2014 R1200RT.

The PRIIs are a bit cheaper, about $20 a tire, and work just as well if not better in my hands. Some will claim that PRIIIs have better wet traction, which I don't think is true, and MOST street riders don't ride aggressively enough in the rain to tell any difference. So, for me, PRIIs are a better deal. But certainly you can't go wrong with either.

Also, the spec'd tires are for loaded touring or two up. I don't ride two up or loaded, and so I use the regular rear tire, thus saving around another $20.

I'm going to give the Pilot Powers a spin next time on my RT. I have these on my track bike.

I have the PR3's balanced with Dynabeads and love them. Great mileage to date and will go to PR4's sometime next year when and if necessary. I previously ran the PR2 tires, but they did not have anywhere near the mileage that the 3's do, and tended to develop a bad shoulder on the front tire that literally howled when I went into a turn. The first time that happened it startled me so badly that I stopped and checked for a bad wheel bearing. The 3's are just beginning to show some squaring at over 9,500 miles and still have plenty of tread front and rear. I never had any PR2 go much over 5000 miles before they were worn out..

In my hands PR3's give 10-11 K in rear and 12K front in touring and some mountain play use. They are quieter at all stages of use than a PR2 that gives about 1/3 less life in my hands. If there is any consensus tire for an RT, the PR3 is it. I prefer the handling of the stiffer rear carcass but many may not notice the difference.

I've got a few sets left in the garage so it will probably be next summer before I get into PR4's. The PR3 will a tough act to follow- there is very little left to improve compared to the PR2 which is a bit noisey when new and gets howling nasty when it gets worn due to the large unsiped tread blocks (first time it happened to me I thought something had failed in the rear of the bike and stopped to check out the sound source)

If you rip up tires in track play, you can ignore the above and use whatever you like- you probably need to save some cash anyway..

On the RT, BMW doesn't fit the best available tires as OEM. Mine had Bridgestone 020's which were no better than tires from the 70s and 80s- basically total crap with no wet traction, no cold traction, tramlining over everything, etc etc. The worst tire I've had on any of my bikes in the past decade. I ran Dunlop RoadSmarts for a while and they're OK but the Michelins are all around better in every aspect I can think of- sort of a good and best comparison.

If you rip up tires in track play, you can ignore the above and use whatever you like- you probably need to save some cash anyway..

On the RT, BMW doesn't fit the best available tires as OEM. Mine had Bridgestone 020's which were no better than tires from the 70s and 80s- basically total crap with no wet traction, no cold traction, tramlining over everything, etc etc. The worst tire I've had on any of my bikes in the past decade.

Yes, I eat up tires in about 2k, so that's why I don't think I see any more miles out of PRIIIs, the edges are gone long before the center.

You're not the first to say the Bridgestones are lousy. I've not tried them because I rarely find anyone who likes them. And when I do, it's a guy who gets 10k out of his tires and so the comparison is meaningless.

Yes, I eat up tires in about 2k, so that's why I don't think I see any more miles out of PRIIIs, the edges are gone long before the center.
2,000 miles! Wow! Don't believe I could do that unless I went to the local Harley "Burn Out and Noise" competition...and won. Of course I live in Indiana where the roads are mostly a checkerboard lay out...few curves other than the Interstate cloverleaf. Are you track racing?

2,000 miles! Wow! Don't believe I could do that unless I went to the local Harley "Burn Out and Noise" competition...and won. Of course I live in Indiana where the roads are mostly a checkerboard lay out...few curves other than the Interstate cloverleaf. Are you track racing?

Not on the RT! But our riding is similar in the twisties, all twisties, high lean angles, hard braking, hard post apex acceleration, but speed limit in the straights. That's why I'm going to try the Powers. They have the same weight rating as the PRII/IIIs and are much cheaper. Supposed to have better grip, too, but I've never had a traction issue, wet or dry, with the II or III. But I'd like to save some tire money. At 5 sets of tires a year, I feel like I need to hang a collection jar on my bike! (It kills your MPG as well.)

It's the twisties, though. I got something like 7000 miles out of the set I road cross country since a lot of that was straight up "Indiana" style roads. It was essentially a mountain tour: a few days in the Sierras; zip across to the Rockies in a day; a few days Rockies; zip across to the Ozarks in a day and a half; a few days Ozarks; then Smokies; then zip across to Raleigh and home.

Straight up constant speed does wonders for tire life.

I'm mounting the Powers this week (keeping a set of PRIIs on the rack in case I burn these powers too quickly), so I'll report on how long they last. It will be a while, though, as Jan/Feb are not good months to ride in the mountains.

PR3's

I went ahead and replaced my tires with the PR3's. Obviously, I really needed them as the stability in the sweepers was so much better. These tires really give me more confidence in the ride. And I was surprised that the BMW tires were considerably cheaper than tires for my Road Glide. :clap

Anyone have any experience with Continentals new Trail Attack 2? I know it is positioned as an "adventure" tire, but just looking at the tread it sure looks like it would work well on the RT for 99% pavement. Info here.

use them only a lower power Transalp. Work fine as combo street and fire road tires. Many claim the new Road Attacks are a better pure street tire but I've not used them. Anyway, no real complaints in the way I'm using them- seem to handle lean angles, etc just fine.

Just bought a pair of F800GTs that comes with Conti road tires so am about to burn up a couple sets of those to add to my bank of tire experience.

tf the new RT has the PR4 it will be the first time BMW has put a true premium tire on the RT in at leawst a long time. Overdue and welcome.

Trumpetman

Doing my research on the PR4's. I have had Bridgestone's and Metzler Z8's and am not very pleased! I have read that the Z6's by Metzler hold up well.

Last edited:
PR3s are Michelin Pilot Road 3s

A very good tire in my view. PR2s are also a fine tire. Got the best mileage I've ever had on a set of PR2s.

Michelin PR3s are a GREAT tire....just installed my second pair at ~14500 miles....replaced the OEM Tombstones at about 5700 miles, what POS tires they were....really wanted to wait for the PR4s but first set of PR3s were toast with ~8800 miles on them....second set will suffice until the PR4s come out and the demand subsides a bit...LOL

wyman

Just spoke with my dealer (Max BMW) who said we wouldn't be getting the PR4's into the states until later spring/early summer of '14, so I guess it will be a couple of sets of PR3's before then and the switch. At least it will give those of us in the states 4 or 5 months to hear the reports from the new RT owners before purchasing them...

trumpetman

I found some 2 year old threads on tires but nothing recent. Are PR3's still the preferred tire for the RT?

I have 8,800 on the factory tires and the rear is cupping so may need to replace the tires soon.

No one has any of the PR4's yet. So, I might look more into the PR'3s. But, since my front tire still has plenty wear left on it I might have to go with another Metzler Z8 Interact. I have heard it I not good to mix different brands. True?

No one has any of the PR4's yet. So, I might look more into the PR'3s. But, since my front tire still has plenty wear left on it I might have to go with another Metzler Z8 Interact. I have heard it I not good to mix different brands. True?
How would your motorcycle know ?.:scratch

Back