• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

If you're planning on buying a Nav V with cradle, it does not have any sort of locking device (at least mine, bought December, 2013, does not).

I talked to Garmin, and if your headset is paired to the Nav V, and then you pair the phone to the Garmin, which they say is the way, you can only use the Garmin directions and music. If you try to play the music on your phone, it'll cut out after a while. So I would prefer to use the Garmin music player, but I can't see where you can shuffle or set up playlists. So I just use the Garmin as a map with visual directions and use my phone for music and for direct navigation. I wish I'd never bought the Garmin, what a waste.

I talked to Garmin, and if your headset is paired to the Nav V, and then you pair the phone to the Garmin, which they say is the way, you can only use the Garmin directions and music. If you try to play the music on your phone, it'll cut out after a while. So I would prefer to use the Garmin music player, but I can't see where you can shuffle or set up playlists. So I just use the Garmin as a map with visual directions and use my phone for music and for direct navigation. I wish I'd never bought the Garmin, what a waste.

I use my GPS as a GPS. It gives me instructions while following a route and is paired to my Sena 20S headset. In my tankbag is a Sena SM10. Into the SM10 I send, via patch cord, the audio from a radar detector and an iPod (controlled by a scosche remote on the handlebar). The SM10 is paired to my headset. So, I get all that audio without problem. I do NOT want a phone involved while riding.

Suppose a rider's willing to deal with wires in order to combine Nav V, iPhone, Sena, and intercom and to bypass most or all of Bluetooth. How many wires are required? Could I rig all this so that only one plug-in is needed when I finish refueling for example? These bluetooth threads have been live here forever it seems with no single can't-miss procedure. Maybe actual wires aren't so burdensome.

For music on the Garmin, I had music on my PC as MP3s separated into various folders. I copied all of my music folders to a micro SD card, installed it into my Nav V, and it works great. I like being able to control the music on the Nav screen, and music gets interrupted for GPS voice commands. As far as creating playlists, it does use the standard M3U format and creating playlists is easy - just do a search. You can then import the playlist. But I just play my songs in random order, so I get a lot of variety.

Here's a link on this subject: http://www.motofans.be/gps/55-bmw-navigator-v/91-bmw-navigator-v-mediaplayer

Just had the NAV V installed on Ursula last week, replacing the zumo 550 that finally played out... It's a learning process, complicated systems require complicated minds. I've been trying to bring my mind to the level of technical savvy that matches the Garmin engineers on this device. Currently going with the iPhone six for most blue tooth usage and Garmin for critical navigation. Tried pairing schuberth, NAV V iPhone but ran into similar problems. So separating my bluetooths for now.

Do you know if your Navigator V is plugged into the dedicated GPS connector on your 05 RT or is it wired differently? I had my dealer install a Navigator V to replace the Navigator III on my 06 RT and there's a power problem. With the cable is plugged into the same connector the Nav 3 was the Nav 5 doesn't shut off when the bike is shut off. The Nav 3 stayed on for about 30 seconds after the key was turned off. I checked the voltage on the Nav 3 connector and it too drops after 30 seconds. I though the Nav 5 might be switching to battery when the bike was off but Garmin support says it should shutdown when the bike power goes away. Right now the Nav 3 is back on the bike while the dealer looks into the problem.

The dealer installed it using the CANBUS plug dedicated for GPS. Yes, like the 550, it powers down as the bike is turned off, after the light goes off on the hazard lite, about 30-60 seconds. I suspect your dealer wired your cradle wrong, he may have hard wired it to the battery.

No, they used the CANBUS plug that the Nav 3 was plugged into. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with the new GPS.

Nav IV vs V

The Nav 4 that I have seems like a childs toy compared to the 5.

Thumbwheel function on my 13LC GS is a joke compared to the 5

Is there any way upgrading the Nav 4 to any degree?

Besides buying a Nav 5....

Another audio problem

I just spent twelve hours getting the Nav V to play nice with phone and Sena. Then I found the mike was unplugged...

No, they used the CANBUS plug that the Nav 3 was plugged into. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with the new GPS.

Dealer got the Nav V up and working using a power tap off the parking lights. The Touratech locking mount works good, the Touratech is attached to the bike using the mounting hardware from the Nav 3 with a minor modification; didn't need the $80 Touratech piece but I didn't return it for now in case I have problems down the road. GPS is working fine, pairs with my iPhone and Nolan N-Com helmet with no problems. Still learning Basecamp. I wish Microsoft had continued selling Streets & Trips, that's by far the best trip planning software I've used.

BMW Navigator V on a BMW G650GS -

I was looking to mount my Nav V from my 2015 R1200RT to my G650GS but I saw that the Nav V is not compatible to that bike. Every other BMW is okay except the G650GS. Is this true? If so why won't it function on that bike?
Thanks,:dunno

I was looking to mount my Nav V from my 2015 R1200RT to my G650GS but I saw that the Nav V is not compatible to that bike. Every other BMW is okay except the G650GS. Is this true? If so why won't it function on that bike?
Thanks,:dunno

The bike isn't pre-wired for it. But, don't let that stop you. Get the 4button optional cradle for the Nav V, some Ram mounts and power from the battery. I used BMW's 3 pin repair plug ( part #83 300 413 585 ) to power the cradle from my Sertao's battery. You won't have the wonder wheel and its attendant GPS functions like on your RT.

I now can use my Nav V on both my 2014 R1200GS ADV and 2013 G650GS Sertao.

Last edited:
I have a R1200R - it came prewired with the Nav cradle, etc. No problems clicking it into the cradle and then locking it in with a turn of the ignition key(the cradle has an ignition key slot). While I was deciding on a unit to purchase - went on the BMW web site and down loaded the Nav V Operators Manual - 17 pages. It goes into much greater details than the "quick start" manual that comes with the unit. I'm not new to Garmin products (GPSmap 60CSx) but WOW - this new Nav V is over the top on features and abilities. Like most of the new high tech equipment - I'll probably only use 4-5 of the features, for now.

The four buttons on the cradle / mount are not working

I don't recall when it stopped, but it was working on a road trip, and all of a sudden it does not work.
No zoom in or out, no paging, and speaking button work at all.
Any ideas guys?
The cradle is in mint shape, and the GPS still works fine. It charges the GPS, but the buttons, which i like to use, have stopped.
:banghead

I don't recall when it stopped, but it was working on a road trip, and all of a sudden it does not work.
No zoom in or out, no paging, and speaking button work at all.
Any ideas guys?
The cradle is in mint shape, and the GPS still works fine. It charges the GPS, but the buttons, which i like to use, have stopped.
:banghead

Have you tried someone else's Nav V in your mount, to determine if it is the mount or your unit not responding? Might be a good first step, even if you have to stop at a dealer and talk them into popping one of their into your mount for a moment.

NAV V in car

I want to use my NAV V in my car.
I already have the Garmin car mount.
As you know, the NAV V does not have an internal speaker so I figured a BT remote speaker might work.
The NAV V connects fine to the BT speaker but does not transmit turn-by-turn voice prompts. I am thinking it connects to the BT speaker only for Media playback.
Anyone figure out a work-around for this?
Garmin has no clue.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Solved it

It was simply a case of wiping down what appeared to be very clean connector pins. I blew at it, and wiped it down and it worked.:)
I know, who would have thunk it. When i mean the pins appeared clean, they were flawless really.

Back