• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Navigator V tips and tricks

I just wanted to say....while I am waiting for my RT to arrive, that this type of information is extremely helpful! And I want to thank everyone who has contributed. I'll be looking forward to Omega Man keeping this in the Best Of section :thumb

Pairing navigation with SENA bluetooth

I have a 2014 R1200RT. I have paired my bike's audio system with my SENA and that works great. When I mount the BMW Navigator V I can hear the voice prompts, beeps, etc, but it sounds just a bit crackly. It does somewhat mute the radio when it gives me a prompt and that seems to work somewhere between okay and good. I tried pairing the Nav system with my SENA (as described in the 1200RT owners manual), but when I do that I can no longer hear any music from any of the bike's audio sources. (radio, satellite, aux and so on).

I am beginning to think that since the Nav V is mounted and hardwired to the bike that the bluetooth becomes redundant and takes priority in the stack over any other BT source. I have searched the Garmin sites and online PDF for an answer to this and it doesn't seem to be addressed.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I will take the bike for a few short rides using the different pairing modes, but it looks like the system is going to be a little less than perfect.

YouTube on the Nav V mounted on a 2014 R1200GS:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PdEoDqaz7DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

Music question....

For those of you that have used the Nav V with music....I currently have all my music in my Samsung Galaxy S5 which I could Bluetooth to whichever headset (Sena or Cardo) I end up getting. My question is for ease of use and to be able to use the Wonder Wheel...would you recommend I load my music onto the Nav 5 and listen to it thru there? Or should I Bluetooth stream it separately using my phone?

For those of you that have used the Nav V with music....I currently have all my music in my Samsung Galaxy S5 which I could Bluetooth to whichever headset (Sena or Cardo) I end up getting. My question is for ease of use and to be able to use the Wonder Wheel...would you recommend I load my music onto the Nav 5 and listen to it thru there? Or should I Bluetooth stream it separately using my phone?

Good question. I have the same set up. I have been listening separately, phone to SENA.

For those of you that have used the Nav V with music....I currently have all my music in my Samsung Galaxy S5 which I could Bluetooth to whichever headset (Sena or Cardo) I end up getting. My question is for ease of use and to be able to use the Wonder Wheel...would you recommend I load my music onto the Nav 5 and listen to it thru there? Or should I Bluetooth stream it separately using my phone?[/QUOTE

When the helmet, phone and nav/bike are paired the media player in the gps will default to the bike and the media palyer is not available for use. Pre 2014 you could just pair the helemt to the gps and use the media player. I have nnot been succesful on the 2014. I just use a thumb drive in the usb port. I can control volume, previous tack and next tract with the wonder wheel. How ever I haven't been able to do much else with the data on the thumb drive. There may be away and I just haven't stumbled on to it yet.

For those of you that have used the Nav V with music....I currently have all my music in my Samsung Galaxy S5 which I could Bluetooth to whichever headset (Sena or Cardo) I end up getting. My question is for ease of use and to be able to use the Wonder Wheel...would you recommend I load my music onto the Nav 5 and listen to it thru there? Or should I Bluetooth stream it separately using my phone?[/QUOTE

When the helmet, phone and nav/bike are paired the media player in the gps will default to the bike and the media palyer is not available for use. Pre 2014 you could just pair the helemt to the gps and use the media player. I have nnot been succesful on the 2014. I just use a thumb drive in the usb port. I can control volume, previous tack and next tract with the wonder wheel. How ever I haven't been able to do much else with the data on the thumb drive. There may be away and I just haven't stumbled on to it yet.

I understand your frustration now Buck. Hopefully a solution will present itself through trial and error. Afterall it would be nice to be able to use the wonder wheel as the main control for all of these functions.

Pairing the 2014 1200RT with the SENA

After several attempts to get everything paired together (bike audio, Nav V, iPhone and SENA) I have {maybe} discovered that unless you are using the OFFICIAL BMW bluetooth helmet communication system ($500+), you can only bluetooth to the bike audio OR the Nav V. The BMW helmet bluetooth has two channels dedicated to communication with the bike, the SENA has only one. All other channels are set up for intercom communications.

After trying to bluetooth the bike audio and the Garmin I found that one or the other was being dumped, leaving only one connected and the other searching. You can see this in action if you bluetooth the Nav V and then try connecting to the bike. The small dot on the left of the bluetooth indicator keeps flashing indicating that the bike audio is searching for a connection, but can't find it because the Garmin has it in use.

I want to use the bike audio for my entertainment because I have options of FM, AM, and of course satellite radio (which will give me endless reception over lots and lots of miles). The Nav (Garmin) will still give me visual cues, but no audio. (for some reason she does audible "Please proceed to highlighted route", but then no turn by turn after that. If i'm in heavy traffic or an unknown city it is nice to have the audible cues. At that time any other input can be a distraction anyway.

So I guess the options at this point are: buy the BMW System and have my helmet shipped to an installer, or listen to the radio on the long hauls, or switch to Garmin on the bluetooth when I think I will need it. Easy to switch to the Garmin because it seems that when I tell it to connect bluetooth it dumps the bike audio anyway.

If anyone has had any other experiences or finds that I'm in error I would love to hear about it. It's a work in progress.

It's also nice to just shut it all off and listen to the bike anyway. (hum a little "Born to be wild")

I currently have my music loaded into my Nav V and paired to my SRC in my Schuberth C3. Sound wise it works great, BUT, every so often the music cuts in and out for a few seconds. Very frustrating to say the least. When paired to my old Zumo 550 the music doesn't cut in and out at all. Other Nav V owners have reported the same problem when playing music from the Nav V via Bluetooth to their various brand name headsets. For now, stay with pairing your S5 for your music listening needs till Garmin fixes the glitch.

@OldNuke..

This was a problem with all the 600 series ZUMO (which the NAV-5 is based on.) Garmin came up with a firmware update about 4 months ago that fixes that problem. I would imagine the BMW firmware should have received the same update. You may want to connect to the Garmin website and see if you can locate it.

@OldNuke..

This was a problem with all the 600 series ZUMO (which the NAV-5 is based on.) Garmin came up with a firmware update about 4 months ago that fixes that problem. I would imagine the BMW firmware should have received the same update. You may want to connect to the Garmin website and see if you can locate it.

I have all the latest updates in my Nav V, but the problem still exists. Communicated with Garmin support earlier this summer regarding the problem. They acknowledged my inquiry, but have yet to hear back from them about any resolution to the problem.

I currently have my music loaded into my Nav V and paired to my SRC in my Schuberth C3. Sound wise it works great, BUT, every so often the music cuts in and out for a few seconds. Very frustrating to say the least. When paired to my old Zumo 550 the music doesn't cut in and out at all. Other Nav V owners have reported the same problem when playing music from the Nav V via Bluetooth to their various brand name headsets. For now, stay with pairing your S5 for your music listening needs till Garmin fixes the glitch.

I agree...I think that will be the easiest and least problematic solution. I have a question for you....I ordered my RT without the factory installed radio or speakers. (I just don't envision myself using it) Do you see any positives or negatives to that in terms of BT connectivity? Appreciate it!

I agree...I think that will be the easiest and least problematic solution. I have a question for you....I ordered my RT without the factory installed radio or speakers. (I just don't envision myself using it) Do you see any positives or negatives to that in terms of BT connectivity? Appreciate it!

You wont miss the radio and/or speakers in my opinion, especially on a motorcycle. A Sena or Schuberth SRC Bluetooth system combined with a phone and/or MP3 player that supports A2DP profile will well take care of your music listening needs aboard your motorcycle. On the plus side, I like the wireless aspect of the Bluetooth systems. On the negative side, is the battery life between charges, where some systems are better than others. Sound quality on such systems is a personal judgment.

Nag V, BMW Com, IPhone 5s

I have the Nav V installed in the dash of a 2015 GT, and am using it with a C3Pro/BMW Com system installed, with an iPhone 5s.

I found the volume, and quality of sound lacking when paired as BMW recommended, which was Helmet>Bike>Nav>phone.
In addition, the 'wheel' wasn't that friendly for music (IMHO)...scroll time slow, etc etc.

The solution I ended up with was Helmet>Nav>iPhone.
I bypassed the wheel and bike altogether...

IMHO, the sound clarity is a lot better, and the volume is louder.

However, there is a trick to get the Nav V to work this way - otherwise, once in dash the gps will lock you out of the music folder - the trick is to take electrical tape and cover the 3rd post from the bottom on the right side, as you look at the back of your Nav V. Once that post is covered, it will allow you access to the media folder in the Nav V, while its in the dash.

I have a 64 GB card installed, and have transferred music to it - though it has to be .mp3 format (which is a bummer)...I'm using mehTunes with my iTunes library...it automatically converts your selection (playlist) to mp3, and you can select the destination folder (card in Nav V)...

A bonus for me, is I don't end up with duplicate songs (by converting my ALAC m4a to mp3) in my iTunes library...

Anyway, that was my solution...:)

Last edited:
Custom start-up screen.

Just got a NAV V to replace the NAV IV that was stolen yesterday. A little getting used to as a new OS. Can I change the start-up screen to something else like I could with my old 2650?

Sorry if this has already been asked.

Thanks

Garry

About to purchase bluetooth communicator....

So my wife and I are days away from making a purchase for a Bluetooth communicator. I like the new bare bones Sena 3S-W unit that seems to offer just what we are looking for. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-3s-w-bluetooth-headset-wired-microphone The 20S would be overkill for our needs. We just want to be able to talk to each other when riding 2 up and be able to hear the GPS turn by turn directions from our Nav V. For the love of God....can anyone please confirm that their Sena unit can indeed pair with the Nav V!? :banghead Thanks so much in advance!

Brian

So my wife and I are days away from making a purchase for a Bluetooth communicator. I like the new bare bones Sena 3S-W unit that seems to offer just what we are looking for. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-3s-w-bluetooth-headset-wired-microphone The 20S would be overkill for our needs. We just want to be able to talk to each other when riding 2 up and be able to hear the GPS turn by turn directions from our Nav V. For the love of God....can anyone please confirm that their Sena unit can indeed pair with the Nav V!? :banghead Thanks so much in advance!

Brian

My Sena SMH-10 certainly pairs with my Nav V. Don't know about the 3S-W.

Thanks, I was hoping they'd kept the feature from the NUVI, which was very helpful and somewhat predictable for good Moto roads using the "shortest distance" selection. "Faster time" is almost always super slab. I know they have that selection but it is somewhat buried, I just don't know if you can set the default...

I'll have to play with the shaping points feature, but even when I plan a detailed route, I often end up modifying it on the go - always have a paper map open on my tank bag for the big picture and finding alternate destinations...

So you think there is no walking route preference also?

It has shortest routes as well as curvy roads. Check in Navigation settings in settings

Navigator V cradle lock?

I can't tell from the pictures or the brochures, does the Navigator V cradle have any kind of locking device? Not necessarily a key, my Navigator III just has a Torx I can tighten to prevent a quick thief from just grabbing it off the bike.

I can't tell from the pictures or the brochures, does the Navigator V cradle have any kind of locking device? Not necessarily a key, my Navigator III just has a Torx I can tighten to prevent a quick thief from just grabbing it off the bike.

If you have the "GPS Prep" on a GSW, the cradle locks with the ignition key. Not sure about other cradles.

Back