• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping: OK BMWMOA, I Can Take a Hint...

High Beams

GearHead Grrrl said:
Well guys, nice try but no success at bashing GearHead Grrrl and her bi brotha Elton. You guys have every bit as much class as the Harley horde that walked out on Elton at the 100th anniversary last year.

You also blew it when you tried to paint me with the Harley brush, forgetting that I rode a BMW R80ST to the rally. In fact, BMWs outnumber Buells and anything else 3 to 1 in my garage. "Mechanical racism" is so unbecoming of BMW owners... but sadly all to common!

pacing the Empire Builder on the High Line,

GearHead Grrrl

Gearhead,
Are you familiar with the term agent provocateur? It seems to me that you have been expending a tremendous amount of negative energy engaging members of this forum in adversarial repartee.
I am done with you and your hostility. I plan to put you on "ignore" and expect that you will do likewise for me. I encourage others to do the same. I hope that you will take your bitterness and divisiveness elsewhere. Spare me your hackneyed reply. I won't be reading it. Get a real life.

Crowded rally

I'm guessing that the idea was to have a huge rally and that's what we had.
That being said, it will be the last for me. I arrived on Wednesday, set up my tent and by Friday I was surrounded by tents not more than two feet away in any direction. Although the wait for showers was not an issue the filth was. The rally food was good but not worth standing in line in the sun. OK, I'm getting older and not so tough. I'll still enjoy the smaller rallies.
Thanks to the volunteers.
Charlie Bishop

I had a GREAT Time...

1> new peoples' company to enjoy
2> putting faces to posts @ Forum Frenzy
3> I'll take hot & humid over chilly & wet
4> new found respect after a volunteer stint slinging beer (security's Easy)
5> I expected crowding in loud camping area & was Really disappointed
6> great vendor turnout
7> showering IS best left to off-hours / opportunity
8> way too many brown pops + way too much sun = Fun (& 3 days recovery)
All in all, 2 thumbs up. <<<)))
P.S. negativity feeds on itself; a game won by not playing

At least you got to sit on your bike in the garage for a couple hrs and simulate chicago traffic!

I hope you had your garage heater going.. Just wouldn't be the same, if you didn't.. Don't forget to have a kid next to you in a rotted out Nissan who thinks you might race him..

CustomSarge said:
8> way too many brown pops + way too much sun = Fun (& 3 days recovery)
All in all, 2 thumbs up. <<<)))

How was the ride back to the campsite after our "bench racing session"?
I hope those sheriff types didnt give you too much grief. :stick :drink :drink :drink :drink

Jim Slater said:
I personally think it was well planned for a bunch of volunteers. Suggest those who can do better volunteer to select a site and chair a future rally.

Cheers! :drink

I arrived 9am on Thursday and tented by the fire station. I wanted high ground for the possible rain. I had NO problems sleeping, even when the FD ran the engines. I had NO problem showering, even used the trailer at the south end of the Rally.

Rally thoughts, worth about $.02

- Best Riding Buddy of All Time and I arrived on Thursday at 3:00 pm, surprised at the number of campers, but still managed to find two great albeit crowded tent sites under the trees near the pond. Met an old friend near by and some new and very generous ones next door ("help yourself to anything in the cooler") and we're off to a good start.

- Surprised by the rain, a wet tent, and WalMart lights on Thursday night, but oh well. Thankful that my wife didn't come with me, she would have hated it. Not me -- I'm glad to be there and glad to be warm in the wet. Best of all, we're at the RALLY!

- We don't need no steenkin' shower. We found a nice city park with a swimming lake about 5-10 minutes from the fairgrounds and got clean while coolin off.

- Vendors, seminars, beer barn, etc., etc. - all good!

- We found a curve in the road and rode the piss out of it! Just kidding -- the roads were midwest flat, my only complaint and I'm from Ohio.

- All in all, it was a great rally experience. Thanks to all who worked so hard to make it happen. We'll do our best to get to VT next year.

- Hope to see you at the RA national rally in Shelbyville, TN on October 6-9.

:drink Salud! Joe D

Joe D said:
-
- We don't need no steenkin' shower. We found a nice city park with a swimming lake about 5-10 minutes from the fairgrounds and got clean while coolin off.

:drink Salud! Joe D

That isn't the one late Sunday they (Ohio Health Dept) was looking for people who used to get their shot?????!!!!!
:D :D

Awesome Rally

Thanks to all the wonderfull people who made this rally possible. It was my
trip of a lifetime. My brother and I travelled from central Fla and bonded
during our 3- day trip. I was very impressed with the quality of the directory,
the patch and all the friendly people. I'll never forget my trip to BMW heaven.
Paul's '91 R100 and myR1200CL ran perfectly, and we stayed at a friend's
home 1-mile from the fairgrounds. This was the first rally ever for both of us.
We both had a great time, thanks again!

Showers, lights, noise....

GearHeadGrrrl said:
In reply to some of the arguments in defense of BMWMOA and "advice"

". . . .they typically rented a nearby high school. . .athletic facility mostly for access to the showers."

Missoula in '98 was a perfect example. Those high school showers right next door to the rally site were a life-saver for a lot of overheated campers. Cold water or not! NICE!!
GearHeadGrrrl said:
. . .lights and noise will ruin a good nights sleep.
Anybody remember Redmond in 2001 when, late Thursday night, a few "campers" who had forgotten where they had pitched their tents and were not smart enough to carry flashlights at a campground asked rally administrators to turn on the huge BRIGHT lights in the rear parking lot behind the arena so these few individuals could find their tent area? Instant BRIGHT daylight for over an hour at 11:00 PM! Actually woke up a lot of campers in that area who'd already turned in for the evening. Please - Don't do that to us again!

Suggestion/recommendation:- If you're going to a camping rally, bring a damn flashlight so you can find your way home from the Beer Tent. :stick

Back