• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping: OK BMWMOA, I Can Take a Hint...

I thoroughly enjoyed the rally. i have only one complaint: there wasn't a single curve within an hour and a half of the place! what were they thinking?!?!?! we ride BMW's, bike's that handle well, not Hardly Ableson nonsense. the flat, straight roads around Lima are simply unforgivable. brought to us, no doubt, by the same folks who planned the rally in americas Dioxin capitol, Midland, MI a few years back. at least vermont isn't flat, i've got lots to look forward to for next year!
cheers,
L

4. Clearly the organisers don't do much camping- lights and noise will ruin a good nights sleep.

Well, I've known Sue and Brian since 1987, and I met them at thier campfire at the GRRR rally in Bagley, WI.. :dunno They hold a big campout/party at thier house every fall, also.

I grumbled under my breath about the full "Quiet" camping and was instructed that there was a ton of space in the Loud camping.. They were right, and, other than road noise, it was quiet... :brow

Now, the showers are another deal, and the sore spot with me on this rally, too.. :doh Next weekend I'm headed over to the Wisconsin Moto Guzzi Rally and I know that I might have to wait for a shower for a few minutes.. There's only 5 men's showers for the 300 people at the rally.. Even if there was only 3000 guys camping, 16 shower stalls is a LONG way from being close to enough.. Oh well, it's done and that's the way it was.. My 11pm shower on Friday night felt pretty damn good, even if the floor was filthy.. (and I'm a guy who lives by himself and cleans once a year, whether the house needs it or not) :thumb

the flat, straight roads around Lima are simply unforgivable. brought to us, no doubt, by the same folks who planned the rally in americas Dioxin capitol, Midland, MI a few years back.

Sue and Brian do not control the location, but volunteered to be rally chairmen at a rally in the Midwest.. Having ridden with them, I know they'd love to have the rally on roads loaded with curves, hills, and everything else that's fun.. They must be tired of curves since they live on one...

Given the choice, they would have loved to hold the rally along the Mississippi River, around the La Crosse area, or just south of there.. Curves and hills EVERYWHERE!!! But, the location has nothing that would hold a big local rally, let alone a National..

Back in 1992, I had a blast at Du Quion, IL... Try to find a curve around there.. ;)

Actually, Highway 117 just south of Lima wasn't half bad...

itsbob said:
I wish I could have made it the rest of the way to Ohio so I could have had a chance to b!tch about the camping..

Yeah, me too. I wish I could have scored the time off. Sounds like a perfect
B(itch)
M(oan) and
W(hine) rally.

And heat:
>Vegas! Baby! It was 110 degrees there last week! It's a dry heat!

Give me a break, we just set a record for consecutive days OVER 110*, not to mention a couple of "highest lows, EVER". The thermometer in my car read 121 on my commute to work Thursday. Still got up for a nice ride on the /5 Friday morning.

Glad (almost) everyone had a good time. Thanks for posting the pics. Glad (almost) everyone had a safe trip.

*for some reason, the "windchill factor" stops working at 110. The heat just changes from "conventional" to "convection".
;)

Zen of Rallying

Be in the moment, accept what is, adapt and accomodate. I experienced all that the "anonymous poster girl" complained about and more but it became part of the experience. I arrived on Thursday evening, found it crowded and asked someone to please move their bike so that I could camp and they did so cheerfully. I knew about the weather so I staked my tent down deep and delayed putting up my wing.
My showers were taken at various times during the heat of the day when there were no lines at the trailer and I felt so much more comfortable with a cool shower during hot and humid days. I took off clothes to deal with the heat and drank lots of water during the day. I drank a fair amount of beer a to deal with the hot and humid nights.
I yelled and danced to the blues and George and didn't think about anything else. I made it a point to seek out positive people who were having an equally good time. I politely moved away from people who were caught up in negative energy.
Sleep? at a rally? Nevertheless a cheap sleep mask, available at walmart for about five bucks and my ear plugs were all I needed even with the klieg lights of walmart shining into my tent and the sound of bikes, cars and trucks nearby. Weather? who can predict that? It should not be the major factor in selecting a rally site. Canada is hot in July and August! Frankly I prepared for the weather, who wouldn't?
The BMW MOA website has a link to camping suggestions. I recommend it.
At the end of the day, I had a freaking good time at the rally. Thank you to the volunteers (my role was a small one compared to that of most others), Thanks to the participants who came in record numbers and adapted. A vast majority of them rode. I can handle motorhomes and trailers. It's about the motorcycle experience. I couldn't tell who rode in or drove and didn't care.

This was a great time. The positives far outweighed the minor inconveniences. I guess it has to do with the mindset that you bring with you.
See you in VT. Bring the bug spray, and the Long Trail!!!!
Hooyah

:thumb

DuQuoin State Fairgrounds opened a new indoor arena last year. AMA had a national short track in there.

Quit whining

I got there Friday at 6pm, drove around twice and found a great campsite. Yes it was beside the road and lights of Walmart, but I was so tired from riding there and enjoying the beer that I could have slept standing up. The rally was a great deal for 35 bucks and like most, I met a lot of different people. I ate every meal at the German Corner except for breakfast on Sat when I took a ride into Lima. No one has control over the weather and I would rather pack light for warm weather than for cold. The showers had a line but it was just an excuse to meet people and they were a little dirty but that is not BMWMOA's fault but the fault of the guys in front of you who did not take their leftovers with them. I will be at VT and I will camp again. I met a biker on the way home who told me he camped in Missouri where it was 113 degrees with 90% humidity, so count yourself lucky.

I met a biker on the way home who told me he camped in Missouri where it was 113 degrees with 90% humidity, so count yourself lucky.

I'll count myself lucky that I have over 100,000 Holiday Inn points, and that a Holiday Inn Express is only 11,000 points... :thumb

Problem is, staying at a hotel while on vacation, makes vacation seem like work.. Icky...

I sat on my ass at home this weekend. I don't care to go into the reasons why.I wish that I could have been there regardless of the details!! :D

Paper said:
I'll count myself lucky that I have over 100,000 Holiday Inn points, and that a Holiday Inn Express is only 11,000 points... :thumb

Problem is, staying at a hotel while on vacation, makes vacation seem like work.. Icky...

Tellme about it!

I am sick of the whinners who complian, but rarely offer to help make it better.

This is a volunteer organization, and at $35, it was a great bargin, even if you only went for a day!

Jim :brow

Being at the closing cerimonies, I noted the three rally chairs for Vermont were in attendance, So I know they experienced the same downfalls everyone else did and they are intelligent enough to make note of those so next years rally will address those issues. I know they are reading these post so the people who are expressing their very honest opinions herein can rest assured their constructive criticism will be noticed. We contacted people from Spokane and tried to better their experience and were sucessful at that.
If this process continues, each Rally will be more enjoyable.
BUT, it makes no sense to comlpain about the weather, and personal attacks are not honest opinions. To attack someone who has poured their heart and soul into a task for a year is just not called for, so be sure your responses are conducive to improvement. And please use tact in how you provide that feedback! My .02

Well Said

Well said, Ol'Salt! :clap

Let's focus on the positives, be constructive when discussing the negatives, and generally be considerate.

get a room

For all those that are complaining about the showers.

Might I suggest renting a motel room to use as your personel shower & sh---er in addition to camping at the rally site.

Our gang of 8 had one room at the Days Inn, one exit to the north. Cost us about $30.00 each for three nights.

Got to take a shower in a nice clean stall, got to ---- on a nice clean toilet and used the pool Saturday afternoon when we just couldn't stand the heat any longer! Even caught up on the evening news while enjoying the A/C one night.

We've been doing this the past few years and will do the same in Vermont!

gsjay

Sue and Brian Reply...

Just got home after 10 days of work at the rally. We are completely exhausted --- and so very, very happy. What a wonderful, AWESOME group of friends we are surrounded with. When we called this a "Family Reunion", we did it because that's how we feel about the members of the BMW MOA.

Who would have thought we would not only bypass the standing attendance record (7200 people) --- but blow it clean out of the water!?? Attendance was 8148 not counting the 15 year-and-younger group. We estimate the number to be at least 8300. Exact attendance numbers are still being tallied....

Important notes:
* There were 58 showers on grounds. If we would have known that we would blow the roof off past attendance records, we would have arranged for a second shower trailer.

* Two of our biggest food vendors bailed out within two weeks prior to the week. While we were sure the remaining food vendors could handle it, we also knew that there were restaurants in the strip malls a short walk from the rally site.

* The wisecrack by GearHeadGrrl about us not being campers just really pushed our button. Anyone who knows us knows that is a crock. We have camped at over 200 rallies over the past 20 years. This year, we focused on the comfort of ALL of the rally attendees, including the tent campers. (ESPECIALLY the tent campers) Harrumph.

* The rally sites are not chosen by the rally chairs. The rally sites are investigated by a team of dedicated volunteers (the site selection committee) and voted on by the board. The snipe that we were responsible for rally sites in less-than mountainous areas was totally off-base.

* Shaded camping? Couldn't find any? Where did you look? On Friday night, I personally took a newly arrived rally guest to the "LOUD" camping area and found him a flat, grassy, shaded area. And his neighbors were not loud either.

* Were there places we could have done better? You bet. Our contracted cleaning crew were totally overwhelmed --- mostly due to me, not being able to communicate to them what they were facing. Also -- The gates and traffic patterns chould have been better planned. (Brian and I had rather "intense discussions" about this many times. He was right. damn)

Whew. We feel better now. Thanks for letting us defend ourselves. Glad almost everyone had a good time. Too bad others didn't.

The bottom line is that a rally is what YOU make it. Brian has been to 25 of the last 27 national rallies, and I have not missed one since 1987. We have had a blast at ALL of them. (Even the ones where we camped on second base on the baseball diamond, and the one where a microburst took down the beer tent.)

Thank you all who came to the rally. See you all in Vermont next year. We'll be in our REI tent!

Sue and Brian

Here's my two cents.

This is only the second national I have been to, the other being in Rutland, Vermont in the 70's. So I have no baseline to compare like you frequent attenders. Nothing against large get togethers, just choose to spend my mc vacation with a few friends traveling the roads.

It takes a great effort to pull such an event off. I have organized events and each one has unexpected variables that can not be controlled. Plus the efforts of volunteers is always tricky business. Although there is a template that can be transferred from rally to rally, each one is unique with its own surprised and challenges. All in all, I thought this rally was well organized, especially considering the groundswell of attendance and August in July weather. Bravo Sue, you did well. And you have great pizazz.

First the bad. I agree that the shower maintenance could have been better --pretty disgusting facilities, no toilet paper, paper towels, stacks of soap and wrappers in the stall. Second, the food selection was not very good. My buddy said the German food was particularly lousy and overpriced -- you expect fine German food at a Beemer rally. Third, the closing ceremony seemed long. Paying tribute to so many folks was important but two hours in the heat with a captive audience waiting for the drawing so they can eat and party seemed excessive. Might have been some ways to get more folks to come up at the same time. Fourth, I thought the micro beers tasted lousy. I tried all of them and they were questionable.

Now the good. So many to list. Registration was flawless and everyone was very helpful. The rally book was terrific. The place was deorated great to compliment the theme. The music was a treat. Last time I saw George was at the Sturgis 50th in 1990 with Allman Brothers. He has not lost a step. The blues group was also terrific. There was a duet I enjoyed -- an accordian and piano playing polkas and waltzes in a little shaded area -- very cool. I know that some folks will complain about George being too graphic but you expect that. Good access to restaurants nearby for breakfast, fine Mexican place right down the road and Walmart for everything I forgot. This cancelled out the need for great food on site. Loved the vendor selection. I found just what I needed for my Alaska trip next year (one of my goals for coming).

Folks were friendly. As is expected, a lot of folks come to the rally to be with their buddies and do not want to spend a lot of energy developing new friendships. Nothing wrong with that.

So thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this work. Can't do Vermont as it is finally time for that Alaska trek next year. But I will be back.

Bob (BMWMOA # 369)

I have been riding for 30+ years,this was my first BMW National.I dug it,we arrived Wed and set up camp in a shady area behind the Motorrad trailers.Evening shade was inportant,so alot of areas on the east side of buildings were a good spot.Did 6 hrs of volunteering.Got one shower,about a 10 min wait,at 5a.m.ish.Everyone I met was nice.We took a walk after Thursdays storm to assess the damage and I about crapped my pants!"How would you ever find your tent in that mass of nylon if you came back drunk from the beer garden?"I asked my buddy.I've done Sturgis and other large rallies,but they are spread all over.None the less,as I get older,I find large crowds aren't my thing and dont know about attending any more Nationals,but this was a great experience!

Sue R-M mentions Loud Camping area...

Sue, that's where my party camped. With children, no less. Right next to a couple other folks with children.

Guess what? I think I'd camp there again. Turned out well.

It wasn't very noisy, it was fine. The noises we heard were mostly good noises, people having fun. Nothing that would embarass our 10-12 y/o kids we had in tow. Nothing that would shock the V-Strom / Ironbutt rider we had in our group, or his young daughter.

With kids along, I don't know if we were above average or below on noise. Maybe as parents we're used to noise. Shrug.

My girlfriend Sharon thought it was great when she was serenaded by a bunch of partiers for her birthday Friday. We left when they wanted to administer spankings, though. I only wanted to out-source the singing, as I don't do that well. ;);)

You did good, IMO. Not perfect, but very good. Nice rally. I don't believe I could do anywhere near as well on such a huge project.

The V-Strom / Ironbutt rider that was my guest? He enjoyed the rally. Thought it was a lot like Bike Week at Bulow, but without the Harley noise. I'd agree.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio

Sue R-M mentions Loud Camping area...

Sue, that's where my party camped. With children, no less. Right next to a couple other folks with children.

Guess what? I think I'd camp there again. Turned out well.

It wasn't very noisy, it was fine. The noises we heard were mostly good noises, people having fun. Nothing that would embarass our 10-12 y/o kids we had in tow. Nothing that would shock the V-Strom / Ironbutt rider we had in our group, or his young daughter.

With kids along, I don't know if we were above average or below on noise. Maybe as parents we're used to noise. Shrug.

My girlfriend Sharon thought it was great when she was serenaded by a bunch of partiers for her birthday Friday. We left when they wanted to administer spankings, though. I only wanted to out-source the singing, as I don't do that well. ;);)

You did good, IMO. Not perfect, but very good. Nice rally. I don't believe I could do anywhere near as well on such a huge project.

The V-Strom / Ironbutt rider that was my guest? He enjoyed the rally. Thought it was a lot like Bike Week at Bulow, but without the Harley noise. I'd agree.

Oh, FWIW - I was on a 13 y/o Airhead, and my son camped in a 25 y/o tent. We felt quite welcome, with people I've never seen before coming up to me, introducing themselves, shaking my hand, and striking up aconversation. My son thinks it's normal for me to "know" people in every state and place we go. And he thought the "Welcome BMW Riders" signs at the Lima businesses on the way in from I-75 were very cool.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio

Back