• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is TomTom your GPS?

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
I just got a reply from TomTom on an issue I have to share. I have an older GPS and a lifetime upgrade certificate so I tried to get the new maps for my GPS by applying the certificate to the account. TomTom will sell me the latest map for $79 for my GPS. I can't see doing this as I have a legitimate certificate. They say NO. "This device is not eligible for the Lifetime maps." No real reason, the maps are available, my unit can accept them and it still works fine but it useless as far as accuracy is concerned. What is with this company? I would appreciate knowing if others are having TomTom's heavy handedness applied to your units?
Wat company is good. Notice I am interested in going to another company that is customer and service friendly, the divice is not in question here.
Thanks

I've had really good experiences with Garmin. Upgrades seem to work well, and they've repaired 2 of my units on warranty that were way past the dates.

Even my handheld for hunting is now a garmin.

What are the terms of the lifetime upgrade certificate? The stuff in the fine print?

I'll use Garmin as an example because I have its fine print in hand. Garmin "lifetime" maps are good for the "useful life" of the device (among other limitations). So what is the "useful life"?

A product?s ?useful life? means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more.​

Perhaps TomTom has similar terms? :dunno

What are the terms of the lifetime upgrade certificate? The stuff in the fine print?

I'll use Garmin as an example because I have its fine print in hand. Garmin "lifetime" maps are good for the "useful life" of the device (among other limitations). So what is the "useful life"?

A product?s ?useful life? means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more.​

Perhaps TomTom has similar terms? :dunno

I like Garmin devices - between us Voni and I have had over a dozen of them. We have 5 right now. But "lifetime" maps is a huge misnomer. GPS units are just like home computers. Hardware capabilities are quickly outstripped by memory needs, speed requirements, processing needs, and data density. Just on the internet the requirements imposed by the data intensive site designs used by developers soon render a few year old machine obsolete for anything but writing text and playing solitaire.

The same is true for GPS. Over the years the capability and versatility of common units has been dumbed down and to get capabilites found in older units (276c, 2610, etc) one has to go to the very high end marine or aviation units with a road map base included or added. But the map sets are huge so within a very few years the new sets won't fit on the older units. So lifetime maps means 3 years or so, or maybe five if you are lucky.

I gave up and now run two units mounted - one waterproof motorcycle specific unit without detail maps at all that shows highways and such, and a cheap car unit loaded with the latest detail maps. The Nuvi unit can be purchased for a fraction of the costs of maps for the good GPS. I tend to buy them on eBay in the $40 range. When I am traveling and need to find an address or small local street I switch which unit has the map visible and use the cheap unit to route to the location.

As for Tom Tom, I don't know but after reading the above post I think you would encounter the same problem with Garmin.

Last edited:
Not a TomTom fan

I've had the Garmin 660 Zumo for over four years now with a lifetime map subscription and have not run into any memory limitations. I have a 16GB additional memory card in it and it is possible to load the maps there instead of system memory so I don't see any issues for the forseeable future. It is also possible to download and install only the portions of the maps you really need. Right now I have all of NA including Puerto Rico and a lot of other places I am highly unlikely to go riding anytime soon so lots of room for trimming.

GPS preference seems to have a lot to do with the first one you owned. TomTom folks seem to stick with them and same goes for Garmin. I learned a LOT about the Zumo and Mapsource and getting more out of this expensive but extremely useful device here: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

During my last map upgrade I chose the North American Continent but it said the file was too large to load directly to my Garmin GPS. I simply loaded it to a micro chip using my SD Card Reader / Writer and installed that into the GPS unit itself in the existing card slot.

Beauty! Im good in the US, Canada and even Mexico should I ever go there. Next time I go across the Canadian border it has recently updated roads, fuel, food, hospitals, shops, and points of interest available, ( which I didnt have last time and had to rely heavily on my iphone). I can't believe how much info you can store on that tiny card!

just not eligible!

I have received a second response from TomTom to my question of why can I buy the map upgrade for $79 but not apply the lifetime upgrade and get the same map with my certificate. The two reps acknowledge my certificate is good, the map can fit my unit, but I cannot get it without paying as my unit is "not eligible" no other help... just a reference to a site where they will sell me a refurb or etc. at a small discount.
I guess I'll take a few of your suggestions and get a fleebay unit like my wife's which matches the certificate (for one that was stolen before the certificate was applied). I use only Garmin for off-highway but as you say I started auto gps with these guys. Probably should't have.
Thanks,
Ralph

I guess I'll take a few of your suggestions and get a fleebay unit like my wife's which matches the certificate (for one that was stolen before the certificate was applied).
Ralph

So, the lifetime maps certificate was for a different unit than the one you wanted to use it for?

Yes but..

Yes but the reps. seem to not be bothered about that as long as it is not the unit I happen to own. I can apply it to many other units and they asked me to let them know which model I was purchasing so they could make sure it was "eligible" which strikes me as an odd word for "capable" which would imply enough memory, etc. Apparently mine is "capable" for the upgraded maps just not allowed to be used (ineligible). Odd rules. I surmise they just want my unit to GO AWAY. I guess what frustrates me enough to post is that they will not explain the problem with mine (if it has one) but just give me the "not eligible- buy the map for $79 or buy another unit" I am developing a bad taste when their name is mentioned... Time to buy a Garmin. BTW no one is writing in to brag up TomTom and their customer service..... just sayin'

The TomTom issue sounds a bit like Garmin.

I have a handheld GPSMAP and I cannot buy the lifelong update for my unit. The lifelong updates can only be installed e.g. n?vis (vehicle mounted units) even though the maps are the same.

Means, if I had started with a n?vi and had bought a lifelong update I could not have used such a map update for my GPSMAP. Sounds like the TomTom case?

/Guenther

I have three Tom Tom units and I am very happy with them. They are around 4 inch screens and not one of them cost more than $99. The motorcycle one is not water proof but if it rains I put it away or cover it, but rarely do I need a GPS to lead me, so I usually put it away.

If my Tom Tom got wet and failed, I'd toss it and get another. The price has approached disposable. I can't see paying huge prices for motorcycle units. Like Paul says, the technology goes obsolete.

But Tom Tom does make a reliable, quality product that is easy to use.

I just got a Garmin 5" 50LM ( Lifetime Map ), for $75 delivered from Cabelas during their one day sale. That's just crazy for a new unit! No Traffic, but I can live with that. When it rains I use a ziplock 1 Quart freezer bag over the unit and zip both sides up to the mount ball. Seems to work fine so far.

I bought a NEW TomTom w/lifetime maps for $52.00 this summer. I also have a Garmin Nuvi but to upgrade the maps on the Garmin is more expensive than buying the TomTom LM- buying the TomTom was a not brainer! A new map upgrade was made available on November 20th from TT and I installed it with no issues.

So far I have been pleased with it. It has been more accurate than the Garmin and has a superior display with the 5" screen.

I have not used it on the GS yet as I have just finished making a sun shade for the mount. I am hoping it will be as good on the bike as it has been in the cage.

Back