• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spring trip

rdhudson

RD'nNH&AZ
I plan to ride from PHX AZ to Perryville KY and then on to the Lakes Region of NH (near Laconia) in mid-May. I will be on my F650GS and would like to hit a bunch of interesting roads and towns without adding days to the trip which I would like to do in 4 days for the first part and three for the second (about 500 miles/day.) No dirt. I am thinking of staying on US 60 from Phoenix to near Kentucky. You know that road? Parts of it? I'd love feedback. I am not opposed to some slab (interstate) but I have done that about 20 times so getting off the main drag is my goal.

East of Perryville I want to go through W Virginia and the Cumberland area of Maryland then up to Albany/Troy NY so suggestions on roads there would be appreciated too. From there to home I know some great roads and I will be heading for my own bed anyway.

Happy holidays - hope Santa brings something with a BMW Roundel in it for you.

I'll let someone else get you to Perryville,KY. If you pull that town up on googlemap then look on the other side(east of) of I-75-see KY30 as it leaves London area @ I-75. That road north then switch over to US421 N , then take KY89 N, either on into Winchester or switch over to East on 52 or 213N to Stanton then Mtn Pkwy east . You could also opt for 30 all the way to Salyersville area but 89 is a great ride as are the others named. The "even better riding" is found in the juncture of KY,VA,NC,TN & WV then ride N to your destination. Depends a bit on if you want fast roads or history & scenic?
PM me if we might cross paths in MX this winter?

Pigeon Forge, TN

If you are near Pigeon Forge between May 14-19 stop by TNT Smoky MouNTain Gathering. Pigeon Forge has much to enjoy, and should be a few people enjoy riding in the area. Also MSTA is having a event about that time there too.

You may want to stop in Birmingham, AL for the BMW RA Rally at the Barber Motorsports Park and Museum, May 29th thru June 1st, 2014. IT's a fabulous park and museum of hundreds of vintage restored motorbikes and Kieth Code school will be giving classes during the rally. Rally fee includes admission to the museum.

Great

Thanks for the local info and what sounds like some good riding. I did get to Barber Motorsport Park and Museum last April following an event in Sturgis MS (yes there is a Sturgis there too) for my vintage ride. That bike is in a bunch of newly painted and restored pieces ready to become a newly restored whole. Barber racetrack and museum is a must visit for any rider. The bike collection is so great you almost need to limit yourself to one part of the collection and then take a break. I had only one day in it but could have used three.

At this point I really also need to know about RT 60 across the heartlands? Any advice? Are there even gas stations? The towns seem tiny and far apart and I'm not camping so there needs to be some services. I looked up Enid OK, a dot on the map. It has several places to stay and a few restaurants so that's one. Last time I got off the interstate in that area I found lots of empty towns or near empty. Folks left?

Read the wiki on "US 60 in OK". On a cold, rainy day I just did so for entertainment.
Saw mention of Ponca City-used to go there for SCCA racing. Stayed in an old hotel downtown. I remember laying on my back all night & sweating out a mattress with a large ceiling fan trying it's best to make a difference! Last time I heard their are people in OK.:doh

Opportunity

Completely different thinking but I figured I'd throw it out there. You know, if you bail off at Oklahoma City and catch I-40 (to make up time) instead of your current northeasterly direction over to Knoxville, TN and head southeast to Cherokee, NC then you have an opportunity to ride the full length of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Pretty awesome ride if you haven't done so, besides, some pretty decent riding from the end of the BRP (Skyline Dr) in VA to your destination in NH.

Back