Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery . . . connect battery charger to bike or not 2005 R1200ST

Battery . . . connect battery charger to bike or not 2005 R1200ST

Ok, so I have just purchased a new CTEK Multi US 3300 charger and it came with pigtails to allow me to connect the charger to the battery while still in the bike. I have never had this option before and basically always removed the battery to charge it or store it in colder weather. So I am asking for people who know more about this than I, can I charge my battery while it is still in the bike and connected to the wiring harness. I am worried about it damaging the various electronic systems on the bike if I charge/condition it while it is connected to the bike. I have seen multiple threads here about people doing this and also that according to the owner's manual, this is a No-NO. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Last edited by deilenberger; 12-07-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

battery charger

I have had all my bikes on chargers for the last fifteen years,very had a problem,battery last twice as long,when I pull in to the garage.I get off the bike and plug it to the charger,

No longer a member here
    I have permanent connections to the battery on all my BMWs, where I can hook up a charger/tender. It is a pita to take the battery out of the K1, for example. I have charged and maintained the batteries in my BMWs like this for years without ill effect. Maybe it depends on the charger you are using. The K1600 has its own charger that connects trhough the accessory plug.

Been doing it just fine on many bikes, including CANBUS bikes just fine for years. It will not harm anything because the battery acts as a big capacitor to filter out any spikes that may occur.

Wayne

hook er up!
    Vance Harrelson
    MOA Ambassador/ Director
    R1200GSA - G450X - G650GS Sertao
    "Always Remember, Whatever You Believe, You Might Be Wrong" - Paul Thorn

Ok . . . thank you for the input. I am going to hook up the pig tails and install a Fuse Block at the same time to clean up the wiring. Thanks
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

For a 2005 bike, I would wire a direct connection. The charger for my 2005 GS came with convoluted instructions for charging the bike through the accessory socket. Basically you had to plug in the charger and turn the ignition key on and off in the correct sequence. I found out the hard way that if the house lost power, you needed to redo the process to get the bike charging again. At the time I lived in an area where we lost power frequently during the winter and I found my battery dead in the spring. My 2011 R1200R does not have this problem.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

na1g
    A direct-to-the-battery pigtail allows easy charging but also a handy place to plug in heated vests, etc without worrying a CANbus system. (I always think CANBUS sounds like a Canadian transit system

pete

mschack:

I've had a pigtail with an SAE connectoer hooked up to the battery in my ST for a couple of years. The maintainer works fine through it. I carry a connector in my tire repair kit that allows me to pull power right off the battery for an air pump.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

mschack,

Per: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I'm adding that info to your thread title. Please do so yourself when posting to the tech forums.

Thanks for your cooperation!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mschack View Post
    Ok . . . thank you for the input. I am going to hook up the pig tails and install a Fuse Block at the same time to clean up the wiring. Thanks
    I run my charger through the Fuzeblock on the adapter that I plug into. It is not switched.

Same plug I use for my heated gear.

Jim

Ok . . . thank you to all. And thanks for updating the thread title, I will try better next time :-)

I am just waiting for an additional cable from CTEK and will then post a picture of my "home made", low profile, fuse block and its connections on the bike. I don't need much power and wanted a small foot print fuse block so I made my own. Just waiting for USPS to deliver the additional cable.

In a sense what I am putting together is the CTEK pig tails from the battery to a CTEK extension cable that runs to the fuse block and circuits. This way I can disconnect the circuits and plug in my CTEK charger, and when done charging, disconnect the charger and reconnect the fuse block.

More pictures as soon as it is installed. Maybe even a few step by step pictures and parts list if there is any interest.
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

If your homemade fuse panel uses a relay as most aftermarket ones do (for switched power outlets), be aware that unprotected relays (without a diode or similar across the coil) can cause some pretty high voltage spikes when switched. These spikes can cause damage to unprotected electrical components, incredible noises on operating sound systems if not blocked, etc..
    Many put a diode in the trigger to the panel if an unprotected relay is used to protect against this issue. (A 1A, 1500PIV diode is fine on the trigger, cheap at the Shack)
    Not that I know of any problems specifically with BMW bikes- but what I do know is the BMW publishes no data on the internal circuitry of the bike computers so we don't know what sort of protection against such inputs might be built in (or not).

The commercial Fuzeblock, for example, has dual diodes on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    If your homemade fuse panel uses a relay as most aftermarket ones do (for switched power outlets), be aware that unprotected relays (without a diode or similar across the coil) can cause some pretty high voltage spikes when switched. These spikes can cause damage to unprotected electrical components, incredible noises on operating sound systems if not blocked, etc..
    Many put a diode in the trigger to the panel if an unprotected relay is used to protect against this issue. (A 1A, 1500PIV diode is fine on the trigger, cheap at the Shack)
    Not that I know of any problems specifically with BMW bikes- but what I do know is the BMW publishes no data on the internal circuitry of the bike computers so we don't know what sort of protection against such inputs might be built in (or not).

The commercial Fuzeblock, for example, has dual diodes on the board.
    Racer7 Yes I am aware of that, found that out the hard way a number of years ago All of the relays that I use now have the built-in diode and my power requirements are not that great. But thank you for bringing that up. Good to know for those who haven't wrecked some circuitry yet
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST

Well, I am done with the installation. Found a perfect spot for a Fuzeblock under the back seat. Used the Ctek US 3300 battery taps, and extension cable so it feeds the Fuzeblock. That way I can disconnect the battery taps and hook up my charger.

If anyone wants to see pictures, let me know and I will post them. Also added LED tail indicator lights, BoosterPlug, that I had on my other bike. Yes, it is meant for this model also. Anyone have question, just let me know.
    2010 328i xDrive
    2005 R1200ST