Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Influence of place on who you are.

If and when I reach "retirement" . . . . . ha!
    I've thought about where I might want to live and this and that but
    I've lived in and around Chicago nearly all my life, in fact it dawned on me the other day (I must be on the same 'script as Bud ~ J/K) that I have lived here at this place I am now nearly as long as I have lived at any location bar my folks place when I was a kid. And about to overtake that milestone in a couple three years.
    Honestly there must be something that holds me here as I could do my job bivouacking on a rock if it had an electrical outlet and net access.
    For now I stay put

Deeeep Thoughts . . . . with . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I kind of love it when posters here characterize Kansas, Nebraska, west Texas, etc., as "boring" and hope they follow up by not moving here.

It's in fact my "policy" as regards MOA Nationals, i.e. I'm not riding anywhere east of maybe Nebraska, Kansas, etc., and those living with that population density can have it.

Of course if there could be another National in Missoula, I'd go for a third time.

Steve A. might also understand when last year when returning from trip to TX I looked around at all the "nothing" (ha) west of Clovis and noted the fact I was mostly alone on the road and I felt an involuntary shudder at the beauty of it. It's the Great Plains for me.
    Every time I see some sort of depiction of how the population is distributed, things like a picture taken from space at night showing where the light is or a map of cellular coverage, I'm happy that I live in one of the dark/blank spots.

We go to Missoula for a taste of the big city.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Bud, For future reference, you live in "central" Illinois. Or are you taking a Chicagoan position, claiming everything south of I-80 is southern Illinois....LOL. I grew up 70 miles south of Bloomington and I'd never claim to be from "southern" Illinois.
    All of the following is said with good will and humor and not meant to offend anyone from other parts of Illinois.

I'm 180 miles south of Bloomington and live in Southern Illinois. Come on now, I live south of I 70.

40 miles from Carbondale, home of SOUTHERN Illinois University.

The glaciers smoothed central Illinois flat. Here we have hills. We root for the St. Louis Cardinals, not the Cubs and we know how to pronounce Cairo correctly.

Granted we are not "Briars", but that's another story altogether.

Oh, that well known University in Indiana is the source for this plant hardiness map, another good source for deciding if we live in Southern Illinois or not.

ILhardy.jpg

Now ya gotta agree that is a pretty convincing argument for Nashville (A southern city name if there ever was one) being in Southern Illinois.
    Ride Well

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    Being from Virginia, do you live in the middle of lots of Civil War battlefields?

I am from Ohio, but have been converted to being a "Southerner" as my two all-time heroes are General Robert E. Lee & Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson.
    I live near Saltville, Va., the "Salt Capital of the Confederacy". Since salt was needed badly to preserve food, there were numerous battles around here where the north tried to capture it to cripple the south. The War of Northern Aggression left many marks around here.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

My bad, why did I think Bloomington? Well, I apologize and have been a "southern" Illinois fan since before Stan Musial took up residence at Sportsman Park.

I've lived in Illinois, Utah, Mississippi, California, Iowa, Georgia, Texas and Indiana. From my own experience, I am a Midwestern boy.
    MOA #46783
    2015 R1200RT

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Winter is officially here.
    Yeah boy. We didn't quite make it to 80 today, but there's always tomorrow. Born and raised in Raleigh but my wife and I hit the road after college and enjoyed living in Boston, London, New York, Tallahassee and one not-so-great year in Iowa. We've been back in Raleigh for twenty years and will probably stay but we love to travel. I'd like to be one of those couples with multiple homes. I could be happy(for a while) in Santa Fe, Rapid City, Seattle, San Diego, Duluth, Nashville,......
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    I'd like to be one of those couples with multiple homes.
    I would like to know how to do that? Say you have a house in Duluth. How do you maintain it when you're in Santa Fe for the winter? Pipe freezing and all that stuff??
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    My bad, why did I think Bloomington? Well, I apologize and have been a "southern" Illinois fan since before Stan Musial took up residence at Sportsman Park.

I've lived in Illinois, Utah, Mississippi, California, Iowa, Georgia, Texas and Indiana. From my own experience, I am a Midwestern boy.

That's a while back.
    Ride Well

While I agree that the influence of place is important, at the same time it also easily leads to far too much stereotypical thinking! I grew up in KS in a city of 75k at the time and went to a HS with almost 3k students. Make no mistake, my HS offered a long list of subjects far beyond any seen here in my KY educational career! Influence of place?
    At the same time my wife who graduated with less than 50 kids can often beat me @ Scrabble. You could easily label me as a city dude. Having lived in the city I was intrigued my entire childhood by the many talented people around me-both in my family & as accessed by my bicycle. I made the rounds often, hopping from one nest of activity to another. I can safely say that I had exposure to far more of that type skilled work place stuff than I'd ever have found in a rural location.Having worked in a skilled trade(in the city) I'm always amazed by those that want to think only hayseeds can fix their own stuff! Living in the country I see that hayseeds now pay city people to come & service their goodies of modern living.
    OTOH, I have lived in the boonies by choice in KS & KY for many yrs. The solitude & other various comforts of living in the woods are in sharp contrast to the life of my youth, what with neighbors of both kinds in close proximity & where health care & entertainments abound .
    I'm a firm believer in the "it takes all kinds" to make a good society! The danger comes when we aim for making the case that one types "better" than another. Most obviously to me country folk are no more inventive than city folk nor less intelligent,etc..
    Ah, the country life: Yeh, I miss KS too
    P.S., Kent, when you fly east at night notice all the "dark spots" in the east & as an e.g., my state of KY has the same number of larger urban areas as my home state KS-three,that's it.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    That's a while back.
    You need to read: "Reckoning at Eagle Creek". About your S. Ill area! Same guy wrote a book about the Copper Canyon area & I ended up reading his other books too.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Here's an example of influence or Not? I lived in a hamlet of 40 people while in high school. This was in the middle of coal mining and farm country. The town where my high school was located had a population of 8,000 and was 6 miles of cornfields away. I had a classmate...smart kid, student council president and all that. He lived down the road from me on a small farm. How our shared surroundings influenced his (our) lives doesn't seem that apparent to me....he went on to be Goldman Sachs CEO, then U.S. senator, then New Jersey governor and finally MF Global CEO. And me, I'm retired and writing on this thread....LOL. Could it be the Person and not the Place? Certainly so. And yes, the classmate was Jon Corzine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Corzine
    MOA #46783
    2015 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Every time I see some sort of depiction of how the population is distributed, things like a picture taken from space at night showing where the light is or a map of cellular coverage, I'm happy that I live in one of the dark/blank spots.

We go to Missoula for a taste of the big city.
    This forum needs "like" buttons!
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    You need to read: "Reckoning at Eagle Creek". About your S. Ill area! Same guy wrote a book about the Copper Canyon area & I ended up reading his other books too.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Ride Well

na1g
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I would like to know how to do that? Say you have a house in Duluth. How do you maintain it when you're in Santa Fe for the winter? Pipe freezing and all that stuff??
    Do folks in Duluth have running water?

Just kidding, all you Duluthians. If it's good enough for Andy Goldfine, it's good enough for me.

Born and raised in North Dakota, but have spent all of my adult years since age 20 in Minnesota. It's here where I want to be. I don't mind wide open spaces, but don't mind cities, either, as a place to visit.

My rural background has most definitely affected how I live and how my family was raised. Good? Bad? I dunno, it seems to have worked out pretty well for us.

I'll never go back to North Dakota to live. We will have a place in Florida to stay during the "heart" of the winter months once we retire. We've traveled to Florida a lot, since my in-laws live there, and find it a nice place to be in January. But, since the kids and grandkids all live in Minnesota for now, I suspect we'll always come back here for 8 or 9 months or so. It's our home.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia