• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

02 R1150R and Poor gas mileage

slowrider60

I own an 02 r1150r that I have had since 2010. She had 21k on her when I bought her and now has 38k. Other than the clutch slave cylinder going last fall (proud to say I did this myself and hope to never have to do it again), I have been very pleased with her. I do all my own maintenance. I am not an expert but have been able to do everything so far with the help of online aids and other resources. I just recently did my 36k maintenance and everything went well. Bike ran great afterwards. I do not experience any surging. Runs smooth as can be. I just recently removed my tank to connect a heatroller to my battery and now my gas mileage has dropped significantly. My low fuel light would normally come on at 135miles and is now coming on at 121 miles. My commute is exactly the same. Nothing has changed except the temperature. I am racking my brains trying to figure out what has changed and why my mileage has dropped so significantly but nothing is coming to mind. If my intake valves were slightly off would this be the cause? I would appreciate any input at all.

Try resetting the TPS....simple task. Turn key on, roll throttle slowly thru it's full range twice...some say three times. Key off and then start and go ride.
Anytime you disconnect the batttery, suggested you do this.

Steve, I appreciate your help. I did not rember this had to be done. Thank you very much and have a happy holiday season.
Steve S.

Steve, I appreciate your help. I did not rember this had to be done. Thank you very much and have a happy holiday season.
Steve S.

Same to ya:wave

The TPS issue is pretty common in the "where did my MPG go so suddenly?" after a battery disconnect. It's gotten me a few times still.

That model 1150R is one of our favorites. H's is at 107K, mostly, ( until last month) t-free miles. Usual maintenance issues for the miles, but a solid bike. And yours is barely broken in! :thumb

Could be something as simple as the gas has been changed at the filling station to 'winter' gas. Or the gas may contain more (%) of ethanol and hence reducing the gas energy level it once had.. Could be you're enjoying the bike more as winter is approaching and giving it to her..

Back