• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Northern California Room Rates

gsjay

I'm planning a road trip in Northern California and need some help with cost of rooms........

I'm from Pennsylvania and have never been to Northern California, so I don't know what to expect cost wise.

I'm frugal. I would pick a nice clean Red Roof over a Hampton Inn. Looking for basic accommodations, clean sheets, hot water, A/C............

Can I use $100.00 a night as my average cost or is that not enough?

tks,
Jason

I have paid $60+ to $160+ along the coast in CA while riding with my wife during the last two September's. The rooms were decent and clean but nothing special. If you want a NICE place along the coast for a few days you can easily spend $200/night. Inland $100/night should get you a decent room IF it is not the high season but you may have to look hard for them. It depends on the time of year, location, etc.

Off season inland $100 is a high number. $50-$75 will get a nice place. In season $100 will be doable. Look for locally owned, non chain motels. You should be fine.

On the coast off season $100 is doable. In season you will pay that or more.

I have travelled that area for over 40 years in my work, but things might have changed since retirement last year.

Good luck and safe travels.

Easiest way is to open Google maps and type in where you are visiting, once it is on your screen, type "lodging" or "motel", and it will pinpoint locations and many times tell you the price on the list on the LH side. Many times I find this the standard rate and they are cheaper than listed, also #s so you can give them a jingle and ask. Also has ratings so you can make sure you are not getting a no-tell motel, where the sheets are on rolls like the Dr.'s office.

Se example below

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mote...983&sspn=0.055695,0.111494&hq=motels&t=m&z=14

Easiest way is to open Google maps and type in where you are visiting, once it is on your screen, type "lodging" or "motel", and it will pinpoint locations and many times tell you the price on the list on the LH side. Many times I find this the standard rate and they are cheaper than listed, also #s so you can give them a jingle and ask. Also has ratings so you can make sure you are not getting a no-tell motel, where the sheets are on rolls like the Dr.'s office.

Se example below

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mote...983&sspn=0.055695,0.111494&hq=motels&t=m&z=14

Excellent, thanks to you all.
jason

Priceline........

Problem with priceline is they tend to only show the corporate properties. I prefer to stay at mom and pops, there are a lot of good ones and I like to spend $$ at local places, same with restaurants, I avoid chains, and try to eat at local establishments.

Northern California covers a lot of ground. You should be fine, except for areas like Monterey, SF Peninsula coast, Napa and Mendocino - unless off season. Call as soon as you have an idea where you will be as rooms fill up. By the way, the shoulder seasons are gorgeous weather on the coast and not as crowded as summer. Camping is another fine option. I have had almost empty campgrounds with coastal views in Feb/March with temps in high 60's.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

is the 2nd half of September OFF SEASON?

jason

Second part of September is hit or miss on Off Season prices? Some places wait for October to lower the rates. Like some of the others have said, shop around, use some of the travel aps and you should be able to stay below your $100.00 allotment.

Happy travels,
John

Welcome to Northern California.
I live in Redding, Ca. the largest town south of the Oregon boarder. (about 85,000 population)
Also part of the mythical state of Jefferson (Southern Oregon and Northern Calif.)
When going to expensive areas I use Hotwire. (San Francisco, Yosemite, Tahoe.) and wait till the day before to book it.
For most other areas I use CLC http://www.clclodging.com/cid/index.cfm it's a corporate lodging company. They offer good discounts on mid price hotels and charge you $4.99 per transaction. If your interested in CLC I can pm you my account number and that will save you the initiation fee.
You shouldn't have any problem staying under your $100 budget.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Street Vibrations in Reno, Nv. is Sept. 24-28 It's a large American iron rally. Room prices in the Reno, Tahoe, and Carson City area are outrages.

Hey gsjay, try the website www.airbnb.com, you can definitely find lodging there for under $100, and there are possibilities to meet cool and interesting people along the way.

Back