• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

back rack R100RS

Yes I have read many threads on the shortcomings of the 22L top case. I don't have to have one. I just want one. I use a cordura top case on my roadster. No saddlebags on that bike. This RS seems very stable at any speed though a little more weight up high can't help can it. If I find a deal on one I will likely go for it. Then I think there are two bit's to buy to make it work. Havent spoken to anyone that would know..like the guys at Max. I have plenty of time I think.

85 R80RT with topcase

I've owned this bike for about four years.
Last year I bought a used top case and brackets for it. It mounted up well and seems sturdy, as it ties into the side case brackets and the handle behind the seat.
I will admit it looks small, but I keep two rain suits, a couple of light jackets and the book "Bottoms Up" in it all the time. These items would have to be carried in the side bags, so this frees up room for when we take trips. One bag per person.
We have ridden in heavy rain and highish wind without difficulty.
As i have said it looks small, but it's useful. Frank

If you do add the case you will need additional stuff. Rusty at MAX will help you. The bracket on your bike is close, but it has to be modified with more parts. They raise the mount up and make it stronger. Here is a shot of the parts needed from their site. Look for the last R100RT's, some of them (like mine) came standard with the box, among other things. What I don't see is the plate for the box itself. That may come with the box, but you will need it to mount it in place. It is item 2 in Kent's diagram.

Attachments

• additional stuff needed.jpg
    additional stuff needed.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 101
85 r80 rt

The used top case I bought came with the parts in item #8. It consisted of a rack and the 2 braces to the side bag brackets. along with all fastening hardware.
You might have luck checking ads or calling used BMW parts business for the complete setup.
It's abit off topic, but TOOLDTOCARE can I ask what seat you have on your bike in the picture. It looks quite abit more comfortable than the stock one on mine. Nice

Last edited:
orig luggage roll

Hi Jim

If your interested, I've attached an image from the 1985 "Equipment" brochure of the luggage rack and luggage roll. When I bought my 85 R80, I bought the luggage rack ($60) but not the roll.

Two years ago I added the classic motor cases (as they call them) to my bike. At first I thought it was over kill just to carry my lunch to work but then I realized I could carry gear in the other case to accommodate for weather changes while away from home.

Cheers

Attachments

• R80 luggage 1.jpg
    R80 luggage 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 85
Hi Jim

If your interested, I've attached an image from the 1985 "Equipment" brochure of the luggage rack and luggage roll. When I bought my 85 R80, I bought the luggage rack ($60) but not the roll.

Two years ago I added the classic motor cases (as they call them) to my bike. At first I thought it was over kill just to carry my lunch to work but then I realized I could carry gear in the other case to accommodate for weather changes while away from home.

Cheers

That roll would be perfect!

You don't want much, do you! ;)

No..just a little rigid bag I can throw my lunch into and go to work is all. I HAVE one from my sportster but the flat base is too wide for that silly little rack on the RS. Thats why I think a roundish bag will work. I'll find something eventually. I do have the side cases which work well! If I leave my (motorcycle) cover loose in one side case I can put my lunch bag in there and it won't rattle around. Something like this..but this one is pretty big.
RollBagMotorcycleLuggageOpen_550.jpg

Not trying to get people to do my homework for me. But just gathering ideas. Learned a lot so far! Would like to find a first edition of that BMW roll bag. Now they have the roll bag 2 or something. looks too big.
I guess I am picky, but in my defence..ok I'm just picky..
Also researching the transmision circlip issue in hopes of finding a way to have it fix itself while I sleep. How's my chances?? Maybe I can pour in some "circlip in a can"?

Get yourself a small or medium Ortlieb waterproof Hi Viz bag and a set of Rok Straps.
Been using them for years. Simple, tough, totally waterproof.
I use a large size on my oilhead RT and a medium size on my G/S.
Done like dinner.

Just saw them on sale here: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-117-ortlieb-waterproof-rack-pack.aspx

I actually have bags like that. Dry bags for sailing. For the bike I kinda want something semi permantly fixed with like a zipper opening. One of my dry bags will fit nice on the rack though. Thanks for the idea.

Well I have found a proper rack with a backrest my girl has been asking for! Problem solved! Only took about 873.5 hours of internet research and buying things I don't need but ultimately all is well and I have a chrome rest AND a black NOS rest should the mod strike me. Plus the thing removes in under 5 minutes.
No need to buy a top case because now the one I own works fine. I can leave the panniers off for the work commute.
reynolds_zpsabffc18a.jpg

IMAG0416_zpsedc0e3bb.jpg

IMAG0413_zps31dc2b9d.jpg

Well I have found a proper rack with a backrest my girl has been asking for! Problem solved! Only took about 873.5 hours of internet research and buying things I don't need but ultimately all is well and I have a chrome rest AND a black NOS rest should the mod strike me. Plus the thing removes in under 5 minutes.

Interesting looking rack. Do you know who makes or made the rack?

Edit: saw your other post regarding Reynolds backrest. So, now I know.

Interesting looking rack. Do you know who makes or made the rack?

Edit: saw your other post regarding Reynolds backrest. So, now I know.

Yep Reynolds. I have 2 of them but only one mounting piece. I think I will have that extra one forever unless another mounting piece shows up on my doorstep.

Yep Reynolds. I have 2 of them but only one mounting piece. I think I will have that extra one forever unless another mounting piece shows up on my doorstep.

I know have the extra complete rack/backrest combo in black new old stock if anybody needs one.

Back