• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

good bmw mechanic on Cape cod

bigsur52

04 1150RS
Does anyone know of a good shop or independent mechanic who works on BMW oilhead motorcycles on or near Cape cod? Moving there this spring and am looking for a good shop to get my bike serviced.

I think you have until Dec 31st to get a non-resident Tunnel Permit :brow
You can check in on the Yankee Beemers site for some possibilities.
OM

I do not know a BMW mechanic on the Cape. I've had an R1200R for 3 years here. My serviceing dealer is Max BMW North Hampton, NH. My experience with them has been exceptional. About 120 miles from me with a labor rate of $85 hr. The main reason I use them is they have free p/u and delivery up to 100 miles during the winter door to door. I had a service last September and charged me $120 dollars round trip. The service mgr/ gen mgr is Joe, they listen and do as you ask, will reccomend if something more needed, very friendly on the phone and in person, I've been happy with the service and will buy my next BMW there. Parts dept is a breeze to deal with [Rose] and usually in stock. That being said Dunbar Euro Sports [Brocton, ma] and Razee Motorcycle Center [North Kingston, RI] both have strong reputations and I would not be afraid to use them. Unfortunately they don't have p/u and delivery which I need. Not a direct answer to your question, but I figure information in knowledge. Hope it helps.

Welcome to Cape Cod!

Jim

Thanks for the information Jim.

I used to live in Mass back in the 80's, and I remember Dunbar as being there back then. At the time, I used the BMW dealer in Arlington, since I lived in Boston. I guess I'll give both MAX and Dunbar a try, and see which one I like better.

You will like Max. I have used them in Troy, NY and Brookfield, CT. Wagner in Worcester has been good as well.

I also use AJ's up in Gill, MA. Not close, but the labor rate is great. They did my brakes and my clutch a couple of years ago. Also the cam jump guard and the tensioner for the GT.
Some simple things I have used Island Powersports here on the Vineyard. Alan at AJ's tells me he ships him parts. Kent (here on the island) also rides an old K bike, a K1100 I think, as one of his mounts.
Not that I would suggest taking the ferry to find a repair shop. Being located here is a PITA for things like that. I am loading my bike for AJ's for some routine stuff within the next week.

I trek 75 mi. each way for my airhead's needs. If you gonna travel for service check out Dwayne at "Bavarian Heritage Werks" Portsmouth NH....He's on facebook. I've found him to be an excellent mechanic, w/ very fair prices, and he's outfront honest!

Cape Mechanic

I can only say that my experience with Max (New Hampshire) has been top rate. Even though Brockton is in my back yard, Max has been great to deal with on sales and service. I knew the K12 would be maintenance intensive going into the sales deal (what 40k miles K-bike wouldn't be), and prepared ( $$ )for the future work. The Max "Winter Specials" were utilized; Fred braved the snow storms to pickup my bike, in one of the Sprinter vans, and I didn't have to use my utility trailer to transport 130 miles round trip. The Brockton location may fit your needs better; I can only comment on my experience with Max. Either way, your gonna have to cross the canal.

Greg

Thanks for the info, Greg. I'm just wondering, though, why you don't use Dunbar. Do they have issues, in your opinion?

I went to Dunbar in Brockton to purchase a 2008 GSA, in Jan. of 09, cash in hand. Left there with cash in hand and got a great deal at Second Wind BMW 25 Craftsman lane Merrimack, NH. I was allways told if I didn't have anything good to say about something, don't say anything. I will leave it at that about Dunbars. Second Wind has done all service and recalls on my bike and I think they have been great. Welcome to the Cape. I am going for a ride right now. See you on the road. John

Thanks for the info, Greg. I'm just wondering, though, why you don't use Dunbar. Do they have issues, in your opinion?
Good question. I have no experience with Dunbar, other than touring their showroom. My used bike was bought at MAX (NH), and I felt comfortable using their services for maintenance...the Winter special lured me in, and included free pick / drop-off, and I knew I needed tires, oil change, brake fluid flush, 18K service....so, services were rendered.
Now, for this recall just received regarding the fuel pump flange, I will probably use Dunbar. They are 6 miles away, and I don't have to transport with my trailer.

Back