• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need an abs module for my 2002 R1150RT 100K miles

stevestubbs42

"Natural Born Chiller"
My abs warning light came on so I took it to the local dealer... master tech gave me the bad news that the code reader indicates the abs module has failed. Braking has been pretty disconcerting as the brakes let go over bumps. Anyone out there have a spare? Thx!

letting go over bumps can be sensor problems, bent tone wheel from someone changing the tires wrong, horrible shocks. The ABS unit would be my last thing to look at

Rod

letting go over bumps can be sensor problems, bent tone wheel from someone changing the tires wrong, horrible shocks. The ABS unit would be my last thing to look at

Rod

He did post that the BMW code reader had found a module failure

My abs warning light came on so I took it to the local dealer... master tech gave me the bad news that the code reader indicates the abs module has failed. Braking has been pretty disconcerting as the brakes let go over bumps. Anyone out there have a spare? Thx!

I don't know of any fault code that says ABS module failed (not saying there isn't one). It's far more likely that there's a failure to communicate, perhaps due to ABS connector corrosion or wire break.

ABS brakes are supposed to release going over bumpy surfaces.

The OP doesn't say what "abs warning light" came on. There are at least 7 possible causes, listed on p. 71 of Owner's Manual, and here reproduced courtesy of Anton:
-Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
-Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
-Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
-Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
-Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
-Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
-Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low.

Of course possible low battery voltage should be checked

He did post that the BMW code reader had found a module failure
I suggest re-confirming this, and getting the actual fault code the tech found, or could he retrieve no code at all?

I agree with RagTopLvr that the ABS Module would be the last thing to replace.

I agree. After my minor crash of my 94RS back in May of 98 (bike laid on its side, running, laying on me), the ABS lights would not stop alternate flashing like they would after a cold morning start. The dealer at that time tried to clear the fault, and claimed I had done too many "cold start/low voltage" events and permanently burned in a low voltage fault. I wouldn't then spend $1600 for a new module.

For years I just rode the bike with the ABS relay pulled out. Then in 2006 I replaced the ABS module with a $250 salvage unit I bought on ebay. Installed it myself, bled the brakes, took the bike to my local dealer and had the ABS module initialized to my RS, and all has been good ever since, now after another 50k miles.

Makes me think my original ABS module is in fact still good.

The dealer at that time tried to clear the fault, and claimed I had done too many "cold start/low voltage" events and permanently burned in a low voltage fault. I wouldn't then spend $1600 for a new module.

Permanently burned in a low voltage fault eh? I would ask him where it's documented that it is even possible to do that because it isn't. The faults are erasable.

Makes me think my original ABS module is in fact still good.

Methinks you are probably correct!

Back