• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter

17 below this morning in Wisconsin, with a wind chill of -45.

Yesterday, almost as brutal - I was waiting at the door for my postal carrier, with a hot chocolate. She was most grateful. Respect them enduring that kind of a day. :thumb

Propane supplies are being depleted in the upper Great Plains. Gas pipeline blew up in Manitoba. Just heard a climate expert predict a February colder than ever, and this cold snap is rivaling '76 and '17 of the previous century.

In passing he mentioned it has nothing to do with carbon dioxide and other stuff that cannot be mentioned or it will be political, go figure. Batten down the hatches, hope there's enough natural gas to last the winter. In the middle of making a big pot of borscht for the next three days. I'm getting a little concerned, if you know what I mean.

Good news, just got another cool riding jacket.

Man, they lied.
That was -13 not -20.
Sheesh
We did -18 already and it didn't make headlines.
Everything is relative.
It is what it is.
Embrace Winter or it will beat you every year.
I think its beautiful

I meant I was concerned about the borscht, every time it's made it tastes different. Stir in a little sour cream, grab a piece of buttered bread and pass out after supper.

Propane supplies are being depleted in the upper Great Plains.
I keep the garage heated to 40* with propane, last delivery was $2.91 9/10ths. Yesterday's delivery was $3.41 9/10ths. Pretty good jump in about 26 days. Our (municipal) electric rates aren't too bad, if propane keeps going up I will be abel to heat with the electric for the same or less. At least I have a choice.
OM

I am feeling pretty down with the weather. I registered for the Moonshine Lunch Run yesterday and it really made me depressed. Today I had to go spend some quality time in the garage making sure she was warm dry and the wipe some dust off and circulate some lube. I came in smelling of exhaust so I feel a little better but weather forecast is not looking good. It was 26 today and I just kept thinking, "I could go for a short ride" but the ice and snow is still everywhere and very wide spread so it would not be the smartest.
I think I need to start going to a support group of people who understand my problems, I have been trying to talk to some but just keep getting weird looks like I am off my rocker or something. At least I get to go to the IMS show next weekend in Chicago. :cry

Hope no one was out in the snow and ice down south. The news was shocking with people simply parking where they were stuck, and walking away.

After seeing the posts of our comrades from AZ, TX and other places warm, we will have to urge our moderators to keep them from teasing us midwesterners.

New rule------One must have their bike in the corner of their garage with snow shovels resting against it, have shoveled their drive so many times there is no where to put more snow, have read every issue of their favorite motorcycle magazine 5 times, maxed out their Netflix subscription and have unfriended everyone they know in AZ and Florida on Facebook to post on this forum until spring;)

The Chicago show this weekend should be a nice break from Mother nature.

Looking forward to sitting on some bikes and visualizing sunny sky's and warmer days.

After seeing the posts of our comrades from AZ, TX and other places warm, we will have to urge our moderators to keep them from teasing us midwesterners.

New rule------One must have their bike in the corner of their garage with snow shovels resting against it, have shoveled their drive so many times there is no where to put more snow, have read every issue of their favorite motorcycle magazine 5 times, maxed out their Netflix subscription and have unfriended everyone they know in AZ and Florida on Facebook to post on this forum until spring;)

For my fellow USA Veteran nardowell:

1511064_10153795249430005_982594113_n.jpg

Beemerdons:

Have mercy. Someone has to stay back here in the midwest and do whatever we do.

The wind chill has been below zero several days here in Illinois.
I have forgotten what a motorcycle is for.
The snow shoes and cross-country skis have gotten a workout.

Be careful of sunburns down there.

Attachments

• Winter 2014.jpg
    Winter 2014.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 122
A week or two ago I was at the shop and we were outside helping to load a repaired snowmobile on a trailer. No coats or hats or gloves, and I observed that 10 degrees above zero almost felt comfy.

Go groundhog go

Our groundhog predicted an early spring and environment Canada predicted a longer, colder winter......Looking at last predictions, our beloved groundhog has a good chance. Ha ha ha .........
GO GROUNDHOG GO.

I am feeling pretty down with the weather. I registered for the Moonshine Lunch Run yesterday and it really made me depressed. Today I had to go spend some quality time in the garage making sure she was warm dry and the wipe some dust off and circulate some lube. I came in smelling of exhaust so I feel a little better but weather forecast is not looking good. It was 26 today and I just kept thinking, "I could go for a short ride" but the ice and snow is still everywhere and very wide spread so it would not be the smartest.
I think I need to start going to a support group of people who understand my problems, I have been trying to talk to some but just keep getting weird looks like I am off my rocker or something. At least I get to go to the IMS show next weekend in Chicago. :cry

Suggestion- leave the "lube" sitting in the sump, where it belongs. you're giving your bike NO benefit whatsoever to start it up during it's winter slumbers. Oil does NOT need to be circulated for the health of the bike, and unless you run the bike to the point of your fan going on, you're actually doing more harm than good by dumping water (condensation is a byproduct of the combustion process) into the exhaust.

Like Nancy said those many moons ago.... Just Say No.

Beemerdons:

Have mercy. Someone has to stay back here in the midwest and do whatever we do.

The wind chill has been below zero several days here in Illinois.
I have forgotten what a motorcycle is for.
The snow shoes and cross-country skis have gotten a workout.

Be careful of sunburns down there.

Brother Nardowell, it is not all Margaritas and Nachos here in Zonieland; brutal weather here in Arizona also, last Sunday my Miss Donna and Papa Chuy had to leave our liners in our jackets!

Left to Right: Three former and current AZ Beemers Club Presidents, Brian Boles, Jo Smee, my Girlfriend Donna and Papa Chuy Viejo. Jo is our current Prez, Brian was before Jo and I was MOA Club #89 President prior to that; we all love our AZ Beemer Club!

DSCF0872.jpg

Miss Donna and Don Stanley on "Gisele", our 2012 BMW K1600GT!

DSCF0870.jpg

Just rode in from an early morning ride in St. Louie. Tried to miss the incoming snow, so started at 6:30 in the morning only to be caught in a 30 minute cold rain ride. Watching the temp. gauge on my F700GS, temps were bouncing from 31F to 35F, with a few pucker moments on spurts of road with the 31F reading, as ice was starting to form.... When I arrived at the garage, my wife just shook her head as she continued to shovel snow off the driveway.....:whistle I had a ball though, and just the right activity to chase away the blues.....

Back