• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Winter

7 inches.
That was a workout.
Fortunately powder again.
And maybe some more on the way.
Get chores done then we can play. ;)

Dang, that's cold! I know y'all love having Seasons, but seriously...

Actually coldest here since the 80's...19F this morning and not out of freezing range for the next day or so, very rare. No snow or ice to deal with...other than the birdbaths frozen over and birds eying me:brow

I fired the wood stove up a few minutes ago for the first time in two years.

Shortly after my last post I heard some "back-up beepers" outside. Checking, I saw the utility company out in the large puddle in the street, apparent water main break in front of next door. I think I'll wait a bit for the water to freeze before going out. I really feel sorry got the guys having to work outside in these conditions. Makes me glad I was never a lineman, although I have been up in bucket trucks.

Checked the pipes at three AM, -25F. At six AM, it had warmed to -24F. Finally by nine AM, -20F. And it's sunny today. Even though the Brick's got some moly in the crankcase, plugged it in to be sure the block doesn't crack. It's definitely a trend. Scientists recently searching for melting ice under the cover of following Shackleton's footsteps were rudely awakened.

Arctic vortex ??

Hello winter!
Now, the weatherman is advising us that we will be under an ARCTIC VORTEX.
I hope the Tundra starts in the morning.".......work awaits.
For all of you who are affected by this weather system.....STAY WARM
Happy trails ...rob.

It's always interesting to me to read these winter time discussions. In 1988 or 89 I facilitated a workshop at Green Lake Conference Center, Green Lake, Wisconsin and the day I arrived it snowed 18." I nearly iced over every time I looked out of a window. :ha

365 days in a year, and down here we get maybe 30 days a year when it's too cold or otherwise wet and miserable to ride. Other than that, the hardy can ride year around.

Not that I would rub it in... :hide

Did you ride today??? :wave

Makes me glad I was never a lineman, although I have been up in bucket trucks.

Didn't work in snow much, maybe 8 times I can recall...Ice storms are brutal just about anywhere...people are obviously stressed w/out power, but those linecrews earn their money w/little fanfare. Did I mention I am glad I am retired from all of that.:thumb

I was in Dallas a day after this game...wasn't for the football! We left Houston in a convoy up I-45 and a 5 hour trip took at least 12 due to the ice...I was a line helper then and froze my young tail off! The mechanic they sent with us looked like a huge Green Bay lineman (the other kind:brow)...short sleeve shirt,beard and attitude... still makes me laugh and shiver thinking about watching him chain our trucks. My sister and husband were there for the game and were not happy with Joe Montana or the weather as they tried to leave Big D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Cotton_Bowl_Classic

Stay Warm folks:wave

-14 deg F this morning and warmed up to -4.
It could be worse, I checked the weather in NE North Dakota where I was working this year and see they have temps -25 to -30.

Every storm is a vortex, isn't it?
Counterclockwise rotation, that's right.
See, they would sound silly if they said, "it be spinnin'!!!"

No records set but serious cold.
Should see the end of it today as temps head positive.
They are talking about rain on Saturday?

Winter - sminter... dang the polar vortex where ever it is from...
the windchill advisory in my part of fly over land has expired. Sunshine and blue sky. I have the afternoon off. Time to fire up the bike and go to the beach.

:brad

Didn't work in snow much, maybe 8 times I can recall...Ice storms are brutal just about anywhere...people are obviously stressed w/out power, but those linecrews earn their money w/little fanfare. Did I mention I am glad I am retired from all of that.:thumb

I recall a Christmas Eve in Fairbanks. It was -35 degrees when at midnight the power was lost. Turns out a drunk driver had hit a pole. Power was restored at about 8 AM Christmas Day. I often wondered how it felt to be part of the crew that got that call to trundle out on Christmas Eve in those temperatures to fix the damage.... but do it they did. :thumb Fortunately for us we had a wood stove in our home and the house stayed above 60 degrees.

Just into the newsroom, the Polar Vortex has now replaced Global Warming on a close vote from the amalgamated States of the Middle of The Country. This was mainly done to appease Polar Vortex who was feeling really slighted as it was receiving no press and was close to filing suite. Polar Vortex has agreed in part that "it really doesn't make sense" to push the envelope and demand full recognition of the 12 months of bitter cold in the middle of the country so, in arbitration, it has been decided that it (Polar Vortex) may take up residence in the Middle of the Country on a temporary basis. Negotiations between Canada and the Middle of the Country have broken down as it has been determined that it was a breech by our neighbors to the north that let Polar Vortex drop through the gate and realize the expanse that was "wide open" to be frozen solid.
A call to Global Warming has not been returned and it is rumored that as Global Warming has had to retreat to the Bahamas, the sun-spot cycle has been disrupted cell service.

Attachments

• tongue_stuck_on_pole.jpg
    tongue_stuck_on_pole.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 97
Did you ride today??? :wave

LOL.As a matter of fact, no. But not riding was not because of the cold.

Lacking inherited money to live off of, my best financial asset is my ability to work. And as soon as the wet part passed (meaning no ice) and all we had was cold, it was back to work!

Otherwise, I would have suited up and ridden just to say I had done it.

Back