• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Winter

Another inch and a half last night. Dry, dry dry. Snow that's dying of thirst.
No more wind, makes it right tolerable.
It's just me and my shovel, looked up and there's a big flyover of geese at a couple three thousand feet.
Yeah right ask me again in February.

:rofl

Middle of MN the sub zero temps came about one month sooner than usual. Check the thermometer every morn, few days back, -14F, several days when temps didn't exceed zero F, this morn it was -9 and at noon still -2F. Total snow on the table is eight inches. Not too bad. Hoping that the early low temps means winter will end sooner.

Tanks hang high and dry, FD is going to get some service this winter. Also picked up a 77-78 tranny, a surprise Xmas present for the bike, little rough but supposed to be a runner, just I case the old original '74 kicker shards to pieces. Hear tell there are some parts in the early kickers that are NLA and are extremely expensive.

Middle of MN the sub zero temps came about one month sooner than usual. Check the thermometer every morn, few days back, -14F, several days when temps didn't exceed zero F, this morn it was -9 and at noon still -2F. Total snow on the table is eight inches. Not too bad. Hoping that the early low temps means winter will end

Wow! Those temps are crazy cold! We've been below normal here too, but nothing like that! Sounds like a good time to do that maintenance.

We had 7 inches of snow last week which gave us some of the best cross-country skiing and snow shoeing we have had for several years.
It was great to get out and enjoy it.
Hated to see it melt yesterday.
This is a picture of a golf course that is nice for skiing.
The wooded parks were really great, but I did not take any pictures.

P1000465.jpg

Ah there's always one in the bunch...come back again in July when we can read another 4 pages about " how to keep a dry bottom" or how to stay hydrated when its 95 degrees and 90% humidity.

I'd rather have winter! We just move to snowmobiles and ski slopes. Went skiing Wednesday, and had a blast!

And then, when we get the inevitable warm spell and some rain to clear the roads of salt I'm right back out on the bike - that's why BMW gave us heated seats and grips! A little variety is good for the soul.

Update me

Interesting weather system just passed.
Actually they all interest me to more or less a degree. Strange like that.
We had quite a bit of rain yesterday that wanted to go ice but never quite got there thank you.
Freeze line seemed like it straddled us for a while but . . . . no ice.
Back side of the storm brought a half inch, maybe 3/4 of high moisture content stuff.
My trusty shovel and I took care of that.
Safe travels

It's 62 right now in NY with enough rain forecast that the roads should be washed salt free in time for a Christmas Ride!

The snow is gone for now, even my yard is clear. Crazy weather pattern for sure, I guess the skis go back into the corner and the Bike is coming off of the tender! Yeah Boy, lets Ride!

Just got back in from blowing 6 inches off the drive and sidewalk, more coming down. 28 degrees F right now, but we have seen sub-zero in the past week or so.

On that note, had 3 sleds in the shop the past couple days, similar issues. Batteries were FROZEN. Combination of low temps and no maintenance. One battery may live, but the others will be replaced. So if you have to store the bikes for the winter, occasionally charge the battery and check the fluid level. It's cheaper that way.

What a view

This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!! :doh

Riding season might be over around my place. :cry

View attachment 42568

Hey! The view from your garage is a carbon copy of what I see from mine.....snowblower and all. We have been clearing snow for 3 weeks now and bitter cold..calling for.-25 c again tonight...........too much. .....Tracks on the ATV will be handy again this winter.
Happy hibernating.....rob.

It's always interesting to me to read these winter time discussions. In 1988 or 89 I facilitated a workshop at Green Lake Conference Center, Green Lake, Wisconsin and the day I arrived it snowed 18." I nearly iced over every time I looked out of a window. :ha

365 days in a year, and down here we get maybe 30 days a year when it's too cold or otherwise wet and miserable to ride. Other than that, the hardy can ride year around.

Not that I would rub it in... :hide

It was 4-5 degrees this morning west of St. Louis. Ice has formed on the trees from rain/mist over the past few days. Pretty cold this morning for this Texas boy visiting for the holidays!

IceinTrees.jpg

Yeah.
4-5 so far.
More on the way.
Little snow, big snow.
Is like dust though, very powdery.
Another 5-6 inches of lake effect overnight.
14-16 inches on the ground total but man this is snow that is dying of thirst.
Dry, dryer, driest.
The Zen of the shovel.

Last edited:
-35 deg. C and all is frozen

Got up this morning, -35 Celsius. With a wind chill of -45 deg. Now that is some cold. Tundra did not start (plugged in) but the old rav-4 not plugged in started and got me to work. Maybe these Tundras from Texas are rated for Texas winters ha ha ha!!! Another 4 months away to riding season......Meanwhile,,,.a lot of ice fishing will help getting us through winter.
Happy trails rob.

Windy last night, blew that nice fluffy snow all over the place.
Then it warmed up quite a bit, it's like 25 now.
That nice fluffy snow got heavy, man!
Anyway all trimmed up.
3-5" due this evening, possibly more later.
Then into the deep freeze we go.
They've already had record cold in Wisconsin, should be an interesting wild card game in Green Bay.
Bring it

Hoping to watch the opening round of this year's Supercross from Anaheim tonight. Maybe a little medicinal antifreeze to go along with it. Then watch the temps drop. Got the yard cleaned up from last night's winds, actually ran the big blower because the drifts were of the consistency of hard-packed sugar, and heavy.

Reports are that Greenbay will be at -7F for game tomorrow. Mpls. had sleet last night, teens today with some welcome sun for the cleanup, but by Monday the high temps will not exceed -15F.

Which isn't that bad, back in the day we walked to school, ahem, and peddled papers all afternoon into the darkness at -20 below. Winter gits in yer blood and there is nothing more bracing than standing in a whiteout and then making it back indoors. Only been in a whiteout three times, two in the car, one walking. Couldn't see ten feet.

From Southern Ontario - Dec. 20th 2013 Ice Sorm

IMG_2664.jpgIMG_2668.jpg

99% of the trees on our street had damage!

Don't know how to flip image!!!

Back