• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Winter

We spent most of the week below freezing, but got some sunshine and temps in the 40's today. It was good enough for a 50 miler! :p

Good for you, Karen! It's always hard to put them away for the winter. Ours will be going on the tenders this week.

Have a great winter, and we'll see you in the spring!

Cheryl

It's depressing, really. We had our first significant snowfall of the season forecast so I put both bikes in the shop to clear some workspace in the garage. We got a foot of snow, which slid off the roof and blocked the shop doors while I was at work. It being dark and wet with showers when I got home I never noticed the blockage. Then the temps dropped to around zero and the wet snow froze into a solid block of ice blocking the bikes' escape route.

So it either warms up enough to melt the ice...or I get desperate and attack it with a pickaxe...or I call it quits for the year. Nope, can't do that yet!

Seeing as I hadn't seen any deer during the firearms season, I "unloaded" my muzzleloader, cleaned it and put it away yesterday. Today I went for a ride on the Airhead. Felt good, and still didn't see any deer, which, given my history, was a good thing.

This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!! :doh

Riding season might be over around my place. :cry

IMG_2873 copy.jpg

Seeing as I hadn't seen any deer during the firearms season, I "unloaded" my muzzleloader, cleaned it and put it away yesterday. Today I went for a ride on the Airhead. Felt good, and still didn't see any deer, which, given my history, was a good thing.

Wow, I guess things are the same all over, - those deer have been few and far between here in NY this season. It's been a rough year so far, I did the same as you yesterday, got on the bike and enjoyed a great day riding! Funny thing, I didn't see any forest rats while riding either.

It's depressing, really. We had our first significant snowfall of the season forecast so I put both bikes in the shop to clear some workspace in the garage. We got a foot of snow, which slid off the roof and blocked the shop doors while I was at work. It being dark and wet with showers when I got home I never noticed the blockage. Then the temps dropped to around zero and the wet snow froze into a solid block of ice blocking the bikes' escape route.

So it either warms up enough to melt the ice...or I get desperate and attack it with a pickaxe...or I call it quits for the year. Nope, can't do that yet!

Forget the pickaxe, go straight to the chainsaw. You will not need any bar oil either.

This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!! :doh

Riding season might be over around my place. :cry

Wow! At least your snow blower was in the right place.

:laugh It was only put there 24 hours earlier. I had feeling that something might be coming (24-28" as it turned out) so I moved it early Saturday morning from the shed to the garage. I think that truckers refer to that as "Just In Time"! :laugh

Forget the pickaxe, go straight to the chainsaw. You will not need any bar oil either.

Great Idea with the chainsaw. I was at Crater Lake when they where opening it in the 70's. In June they still had a large quantity of snow/ice on the ground. They were opening walkways with chainsaws. Cutting into cubes and removing with shovels. It was more like cubes of Ice. We grabbed one for the cooler and it lasted 3plus days. :dance

Time to go plow my drive.

We got about 5 or 6 yesterday.
Dry powdery snow which is good not too heavy.
Bikes are on the tenders but always ready to break out if weather permits.
Yikers up there in London and Stowe.

Got a few inches of dry, fluffy stuff here yesterday too. Always kinda sad when I have to put "Annie" on her center-stand next to the wall until roads are ready again. To add insult to injury she had to watch me fire up Darth Vader for the first time of the season and blast some snow into the sky.

The thing that hurts more than the snow is all of the salt and brine they are laying down. No way I'm taking the C out with all that salt ready to attack.

Prior to retirement I usually arose at 4:30 all the time, but primarily in winter so I could check if I needed to blow snow. If so, I would usually do the apron sections of 3 neighbors, and usually just before I stopped to go to work the plow would show up, so I could re-do my driveway. A couple weeks ago I helped one of the neighbors by getting their new-to-them blower running. This morning woke up at 6:30 and was going to do my yard, but they had beat me to it. So I did the other 2 neighbors. Tonight I got home from the shop and noticed the plow had finally been down my street, so I fired up the big blower and cleaned the end of the driveway. But just the idea that the younger neighbor did my yard before they went to work, like I used to do, pleased me.

I hate to admit it, but I love using my snowblower and usually help a couple of neighbors just because its sort of fun!

Now about the plow guy, how the heck does he know to come back down the road as soon as you finish your driveway? Rat Bastiches!

I hate to admit it, but I love using my snowblower and usually help a couple of neighbors just because its sort of fun!

Now about the plow guy, how the heck does he know to come back down the road as soon as you finish your driveway? Rat Bastiches!

I'll get the driveway clean in the evenings, and of course, without fail, the snowplow, will usually fill in the apron during the night. Fortunately a neighbour has a snow plowing business and on his way home, he'll clean about five of our plowed in driveways with his truck. :bow

Most of the time I can beat the apron being plowed in by snow blowing the road in front of our curb, leaving the plow with little snow to dump into our driveway.

Riding season not done.

Maybe I am a little optimistic, but I just going to add a couple of lights and not store my bike. I hope as a few years you got some 40/50 degree days in January. Anti riding weather came early this year, and I hardly got out late October and only once in November.
Today, more then 6" and more rest of week: I will find someone who knows a anti winter dance, and get them to dance for good weather.

I keep it ready to go all winter long. This time of year I usually run the tank down on what I think would be my last long ride and then fill it up and add stabilizer at the station nearest my home. I give it a good wash and wax, and roll it into the garage. After that its on the Tender and ready to go on any day the roads are clear of salt and its warm enough for a ride.

The biggest problem is keeping that salt from doing its damage so it has to be warm enough for a good rinse when I get home.

Back