Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter

Winter

Just put my bike away for the winter. Sad, but at least got a few hundred miles in yesterday.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

We spent most of the week below freezing, but got some sunshine and temps in the 40's today. It was good enough for a 50 miler!
    Dan

Good for you, Karen! It's always hard to put them away for the winter. Ours will be going on the tenders this week.

Have a great winter, and we'll see you in the spring!

Cheryl

Mine is still in the garage!
    *he said defiantly*

I just can't bring myself to do it.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It's depressing, really. We had our first significant snowfall of the season forecast so I put both bikes in the shop to clear some workspace in the garage. We got a foot of snow, which slid off the roof and blocked the shop doors while I was at work. It being dark and wet with showers when I got home I never noticed the blockage. Then the temps dropped to around zero and the wet snow froze into a solid block of ice blocking the bikes' escape route.

So it either warms up enough to melt the ice...or I get desperate and attack it with a pickaxe...or I call it quits for the year. Nope, can't do that yet!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Seeing as I hadn't seen any deer during the firearms season, I "unloaded" my muzzleloader, cleaned it and put it away yesterday. Today I went for a ride on the Airhead. Felt good, and still didn't see any deer, which, given my history, was a good thing.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

RK Ryder
    This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!!

Riding season might be over around my place.

IMG_2873 copy.jpg
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by MANICMECHANIC View Post
    Seeing as I hadn't seen any deer during the firearms season, I "unloaded" my muzzleloader, cleaned it and put it away yesterday. Today I went for a ride on the Airhead. Felt good, and still didn't see any deer, which, given my history, was a good thing.
    Wow, I guess things are the same all over, - those deer have been few and far between here in NY this season. It's been a rough year so far, I did the same as you yesterday, got on the bike and enjoyed a great day riding! Funny thing, I didn't see any forest rats while riding either.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    It's depressing, really. We had our first significant snowfall of the season forecast so I put both bikes in the shop to clear some workspace in the garage. We got a foot of snow, which slid off the roof and blocked the shop doors while I was at work. It being dark and wet with showers when I got home I never noticed the blockage. Then the temps dropped to around zero and the wet snow froze into a solid block of ice blocking the bikes' escape route.

So it either warms up enough to melt the ice...or I get desperate and attack it with a pickaxe...or I call it quits for the year. Nope, can't do that yet!
    Forget the pickaxe, go straight to the chainsaw. You will not need any bar oil either.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

[QUOTE=Paul_F;910557]This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!!

Wow! At least your snow blower was in the right place.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

RK Ryder
    [QUOTE=womanridge;910656]
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    This is what I saw when my garage door opened last week, Sunday morning, November 24th!!!

Wow! At least your snow blower was in the right place.
    It was only put there 24 hours earlier. I had feeling that something might be coming (24-28" as it turned out) so I moved it early Saturday morning from the shed to the garage. I think that truckers refer to that as "Just In Time"!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Electric Kaiser
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Forget the pickaxe, go straight to the chainsaw. You will not need any bar oil either.
    Great Idea with the chainsaw. I was at Crater Lake when they where opening it in the 70's. In June they still had a large quantity of snow/ice on the ground. They were opening walkways with chainsaws. Cutting into cubes and removing with shovels. It was more like cubes of Ice. We grabbed one for the cooler and it lasted 3plus days.

Time to go plow my drive.

We got about 5 or 6 yesterday.
    Dry powdery snow which is good not too heavy.
    Bikes are on the tenders but always ready to break out if weather permits.
    Yikers up there in London and Stowe.

Got a few inches of dry, fluffy stuff here yesterday too. Always kinda sad when I have to put "Annie" on her center-stand next to the wall until roads are ready again. To add insult to injury she had to watch me fire up Darth Vader for the first time of the season and blast some snow into the sky.

The thing that hurts more than the snow is all of the salt and brine they are laying down. No way I'm taking the C out with all that salt ready to attack.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Prior to retirement I usually arose at 4:30 all the time, but primarily in winter so I could check if I needed to blow snow. If so, I would usually do the apron sections of 3 neighbors, and usually just before I stopped to go to work the plow would show up, so I could re-do my driveway. A couple weeks ago I helped one of the neighbors by getting their new-to-them blower running. This morning woke up at 6:30 and was going to do my yard, but they had beat me to it. So I did the other 2 neighbors. Tonight I got home from the shop and noticed the plow had finally been down my street, so I fired up the big blower and cleaned the end of the driveway. But just the idea that the younger neighbor did my yard before they went to work, like I used to do, pleased me.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep