• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I'm seeking wisdom

jgebhardt

I'm getting ready to re-enter the BMW ranks, with a possible purchase of a 1988 R100RT. My only other Beemer experience was a 1976 R90S that I put 30k miles on in about 4 years. Does anyone have advice regarding common faults with the 1988 R100RT. What should I be looking for? I know about tires, cables, brake pads, leaking front fork seals, torn seat cover, the obvious stuff. Tell me about hidden things. Should I ask that the front cover be taken off so I can see the rotor? Is there a way that I, an amateur, can check the drive shaft u-joints or the differential? I'm listening. Tell me what to look for.

We have a late 80s Airhead that was owned by seven people before I got it, and its been a great bike. The only worrisome spot on these bikes is in the transmission....BMW removed a circlip from the output shaft which led to some bikes eating output shaft bearings. Our bike did this the first year we had it, and required disassembly of the trans to "upgrade" back to the old design. The output shaft alone is $300.

The rest of the bike seems pretty robust. I think the late 80s Airhead had the best driveshaft/spline/final drive solution of all the Beemers with single-sided swingarms, including the new ones. I would ride ours anywhere.

Hey! I agree with Diaz, Its a great Airhead with minimal problems! Wish I had One. Bones , aka Jim Post:clap

Last edited:
I haven't had any tranny problems. I have the same bike you're looking at with a different fairing. I had some charging problems early on (needed new diode board and voltage regulator), but those have been solved. A police model VR and sealed battery (both added later) solved any further problems with the charging system. I've had to put new steering head bearings in and have changed the timing chain. Other than that, it's been pretty minor stuff. I did have a clunking coming from the front end when I bought it, which turned out to be a worn top triple clamp which I replaced with a billet one with pinch bolts.

I'd just check it out thoroughly, ride it, listen for any weird noises and any stiffness/looseness/weird handling. You may also want to put a voltmeter on the battery and make sure the charging system is working (voltage should come up around 3000rpm). The timing chain will make a faint scraping/slapping noise if it needs replacement. You shouldn't have to worry about the driveshaft, the major problems with that are limited to the paralever GS models.

All in all, you're looking at a very reliable bike. The things I mentioned should not disuade you, just help in negotiating price. There isn't much on these bikes that a reasonably handy person can't fix themselves.

Back